0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 8:53 PM by ErraticFox

Separate installed fonts

ErraticFox Level 1

Is there anyway to seperate installed fonts in Adobe applications such as PhotoShop and Illustrator? I'm tired of looking through all the default fonts for a couple installed fonts. If not, could I some how change there name maybe with a # at the front so they stay in a group?

• 1. Re: Separate installed fonts
          Level 5

You should under no circumstances attempt to alter or modify the name of a font—ever.  Fonts have two names, an external and an internal name.  You would need a font editor in order to create a  copy of a font with a different name, something that is strictly forbidden by the font license.

If you alter the font file name (the external font name), it will not match its internal name and you'll have an unholy mess.

You don't mention what platform you are on, so I can't comment on what a font manager can do for you.  With a font manager you can create font libraries and activate and deactivate fonts as needed, but you still will have all activated fonts in the font menu.

• 2. Re: Separate installed fonts
            Level 5

Another thing:  don't try to assume you can ask a question about two or more different Adobe applications in a single forum.

Inconsistency between or among applications in the artificial "suites" should come as no surprise.

The "suite" concept is a fabrication of Adobe marketing and bean-counting types.  The engineering teams are totally independent of each other, they are not only in different buildings but in different cities and states of the American Union, even in different countries.

The fact that they have little if any communication among them is highlighted by requests occasionally made in these forums by top Adobe Photoshop engineers to let the other teams know when there are problems in one application that impact our workflow in another one.

• 3. Re: Separate installed fonts
              ErraticFox Level 1

I am a human being. So I'd kind of like to be treated as one and not be beaten like a dog. I was basically asking on how I could group them, I also meant for any application in general. I would've never asked, if I was going to get my head bitten off. I'm on Windows 8.1, but I'll go find my own font manager considering I'd like you to keep your head and not blow it off by talking down to me again. All you did was have to say the engineering teams for each Application have very little communication. Plus, I'm not asking the engineering teams. I'm asking a forum on which most people use more than one Adobe application other than PhotoShop, regardless of the forums topic.

Now good day to you.

• 4. Re: Separate installed fonts
                Level 5

The reason I mentioned the platform issue was precisely because I can't give you any guidance with font managers for Windows. 

FontAgent Pro lets you group fonts at will by placing them in  libraries.  I have no idea whether they have a Windows version by now or not.

It's Photoshop, not PhotoShop.

ErraticFox wrote:

…So I'd kind of like to be treated as one and not be beaten like a dog…

Sorry you took offense, but I never, ever would beat a dog.  Good day to you too.

• 6. Re: Separate installed fonts
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

station_two wrote:

You should under no circumstances attempt to alter or modify the name of a font—ever.  Fonts have two names, an external and an internal name.  You would need a font editor in order to create a  copy of a font with a different name, something that is strictly forbidden by the font license.

Well I didn't know that!  I'll count that as my gem for the day Station.