2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2014 7:49 PM by SKodounis

sym.getSymbol("Symbol_Name").playReverse(); Does not work from stage button

SKodounis

Hello, I have three symbols on the stage timeline. 

Each of these symbols have a button within them to animate the symbol on the stage timeline.  When the button is clicked the symbol's timeline is also simulaneoulsy played.  

When the animations stop ( due to a stop instruction on the stage and symbol timelines ) I place a button on the stage immediately.  The purpose of the new button is to reverse the animation at the stage and symbol timelines when clicked.  So I use sym.getSymbol("Symbol_Name").playReverse(); for the symbol timeline and also sym.playReverse(); for the stage timeline.  

This all works perfectly for one of the symbols but not the other two symbols!  It is identical code for all three symbols but for some reason the other two symbols do not do the reverse play.  The stage animations do work, but the two symbol animations do not work.  So I tried just playing the symbol timelines by coding a button on the stage, and it did not work either.

Any ideas?

I even tried simply playing the timeline from the button on the stage and for some reason it does not play?  So there is either a bug in the engine, or some simple parameter I am missing, or my understanding of timelines and/or the way the insructions work is flawed.

I am attaching a link to the oam file here:   https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tvghu52t7c1vfm/Merchant-Area-A2.oam

I have setup a test page: http://pbpromos.com/test-edge-animation/

The only symbol that works is the one on the very right and this may be out of luck.  The other two on the left do not reverse properly, they for some reason remain at their end stopped point in their symbol's timeline.  The red buttons on the bottom of each box play on the stage ( and the symbol timeline is also somehow triggered ).  At the stop of the stage and symbol timelines, I place a "RETURN TO MERCHANT AREA" button but for some reason this only works for the symbol on the right "MERCHANT DASHBOARD"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: sym.getSymbol("Symbol_Name").playReverse(); Does not work from stage button
          Saurav Adobe Employee

Hi,

Can you please share your composition so that I can take a look at it ?

Thanks

Saurav

• 2. Re: sym.getSymbol("Symbol_Name").playReverse(); Does not work from stage button
            SKodounis Level 1

Here I have included a new link for you which has the same problem simplified for you: http://pbpromos.com/test-edge/

Basically, there is a random or erratic behaviour with the symbol/box on the right when you go into and out of it by pressing the button on the bottom to go in and out of it.  The symbol/box on the left always behaves like it should no matter how many times you press the bottom button.  However, for the symbol/box on the right, it skips animation steps at random times by pressing the bottom buttons.  Sometimes it takes multiple tries or you have to try also going in and out of the symbol on the left and then try the symbol on the right to make it show this erratic behavior.

The symbol all the way to the right ( Merchant Dashboard ) is not behaving like the one on the left.  When you go into them with the bottom button, the symbol scales out towards you making it bigger and pushes out the other symbol.  When you press on the RETURN button on the bottom it should scale back by playing the animation in REVERSE.  It does this by playing the stage and symbol timelines in reverse all the way to the start of their respective timelines.  This works fine for the right symbol if you try going in and out several times, however, the right symbol behaves eratically when trying to go in and out multiple times.  Yet they both have identical code.

If you try going in and out you will see what I mean.

There are three timelines.  The stage timeline and the two symbol timelines.  To scale out when you press the bottom red button, I play the stage timeline and the symbol's timeline.  Here is the code at the stage level triggered by the buttons which are found inside the two symbols:

Right button (CLICK): "DASHBOARD LOGIN"

sym.play("Dashboard");   // Label at the symbol timeline

sym.getComposition().getStage().play("Dashboard");   // Label on the stage timeline

Left button (CLICK): "REDEEM VOUCHER"

sym.play("RedeemVoucher");   // Label at the symbol timeline

sym.getComposition().getStage().play("RedeemVoucher");   // Label on the stage timeline

When the stop(); is reached and the symbols scale out, I display the "RETURN TO MERCHANT AREA" button.  When this is clicked this code is executed within the symbols:

sym.playReverse();

sym.getComposition().getStage().playReverse();

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Here is the link to oam file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r33fu86779012yn/Adobe-Edge-Test-1.oam