25 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2014 6:46 AM by Dennis Whitehead

IMAGES cut off when converting to epub

Natalia_K7

Hello!

I am trying to create a Photo e-book and when I convert my file to epub the images are cut off!!

In the indesign file all looks perfect, I used rectangle option, object export options and everything else. But when I view the e photo book in epub - the bottom of all my images is cut off. Can anyone please help me out here?? MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!

• 1. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We need to know your InDesign version and computer platform.

Did you anchor the images in the text flow? What object export options did you set on the images that are being cut off?

• 2. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
            Natalia_K7 Level 1

Hello!!

Thank you so much for your response!!

I have a MAC 10.8 version. I am using InDesign Version 9.2.

It would not allow me to anchor my images as I do not have any text and the image entirely 'fits the frame'. Is it possible to anchor if there is no text?

In the export option I selected cutomized -> align with text (because the width option is missing). Is there something I am doing wrong? Again, thank you for you help!

• 3. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub

I think I need to see a screen capture of your layout to get some idea of what you're doing.

You can use the "camera" icon in the edit window to attach it to your message.

• 4. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                Natalia_K7 Level 1

Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 17.04.51.png

Again thank you for your response.

Here is a screen shot of the first page, the rest of the pages looks the same... I can't understand what I am doing wrong.. Thank you so much for helping me out!!!

• 5. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub

So there is no text, only one single graphic, right?

I bet you're previewing in Adobe Digital Edition.

ADE always cuts off the cover (first page). See the cover of this book below in ADE:

Adobe Digital Editions002.jpg

Now drag the ADE window wider so it shows two pages, and you'll see nothing is cut off:

Adobe Digital Editions003.jpg

Nothing is lost.

It's a good idea to view on another device, like an iPad, so really view the pictures.

• 6. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                    Natalia_K7 Level 1

I really wish it just worked but it doesn't! this is how the epub looks like!

all photos are cut off and it seems to make it all in one page as cant scroll down the pages...

any help would be most welcome! Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 18.12.17.png

• 7. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                      Ellis home Level 4

As Steve suggested, see if you can open it in a actual device. ADE is not the most reliable for checking epubs. On the EPUB Export Options/Image did you check Insert Page Break and choose one of the options? Play a bit with the Change font size in ADE and see if you see a change.

• 8. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                        Natalia_K7 Level 1

Yes I did insert page breaks but it still does not work. I really can't understand what I am doing wrong! I do it page by page, throughuly checking all the details

ADE would not even let me to change the font size... perhaps because the input is only photos?

is there any video maybe you could recommend on how to specifically make a photo ebook with indesign or other Adobe tools?? THANK YOU!

• 9. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub

I absolutely can recommend Anne-Marie Concepcion's videos on creating EPUB on Lynda.com. They are the best. (Note it's not specifically about creating a photo book, but on all aspects of creating an EPUB.)

• 10. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                            Natalia_K7 Level 1

Well i wish it worked as I really do not see what i am doing wrong but it is all coming out not right. All blended into, images cut off, i dont get it!!!!!

• 11. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                              Ellis home Level 4

Can you post a sample, maybe a couple of pages somewhere (like dropbox.com) so we can take a look at it?

• 12. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Natalia,

Did you view your EPUB on any other ereader? I think Readium would be good option to try out. Readium is a free ebook reader available as a free app on Chrome. As Ellis said, a sample document would be helpful to understand the problem. You can package it and upload it on dropbox and I can take a look at it and let you know where the problem is. Are you using InDesign CC or the upgraded version 9.2?

Regards,

Pooja

InDesign Engineering

• 13. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                  Natalia_K7 Level 1

Hello

Thank you for your response! I am still having trouble with conversion!!!

I am using the 9.2 version.

Every time I convert, all my pages are merged into one single page!! Even though I did not select 'facing pages' but am doing it one by one!! what is the problem I do not understand?!

how can i share a dropbox file with you? can you please give me your email??

THANK YOU!

• 14. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                    pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Natalia,

Sure, you can share packaged InDesign document on dropbox for me to take a look. My email id is: pja@adobe.com.

I think creating a package and uploading the zipped package on dropbox would be best.

Regards,

Pooja

InDesign  Engineering

• 15. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                      pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Natalie,

I could see the images getting cut. This is the issue with ereaders and the maximum size should be 600 x 600 pixels for the image to appear properly. I changed the image size of the images in your document and then the issue of images getting cut was resolved. Also, you have set relative size on your images, is this intentional or you want them to be fixed size instead? Please try once exporting the same document after changing the image sizes and see if you are facing the issue. [Use Readium to view the EPUB].

Regards,

Pooja

InDesign Engineering

• 16. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                        Natalia_K7 Level 1

Dear Pooja,

can you please kindly advise where i can edit the image size to 600 x 600 pixels ? and how do i set to fixed size?? THANK YOU!

am i doing everything else correct? Thank you so much for your help!!

Natalia

• 17. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                          pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Natalia,

You can select the image by selection tool and change its height(H) and width(W) from control panel as in the screenshot below:

cntrol.PNG

Also to change the image from Relative size to fixed, do the following;

1. Select Image

2. Open Object Export Options dialog

3. Select Size as Fixed from Size dropdown in Custom Rasaterisation section. Please see the screenshot below:

OEO.PNG

Please try once and let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Pooja

InDesign Engineering

1 person found this helpful
                                          • 18. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                            pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Natalia,

Since you did not reply back on the forum, I thought of confirming with you again. Did you try the above steps?

Regards,

Pooja

• 19. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                              Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi Pooja,

I am also facing the same issue. Wherein I have exported the Indesign 2014 (Release) file to epub viewed in ADE the images width wise is getting cutoff from left and from right its overflowing on the next column.

While exporting from Indesign I have unchecked all on the options in the Object export pannel, and the CSS was set to fixed.

Request you to please help me out with the same.

Regards

Arvind

• 20. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                                pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Arvind,

Are you trying this with latest ADE version (ADE 4)? Every reader has a maximum limit for image dimensions, for iBooks this is 600X600 pixels and images appear truncated when the image exceeds this size limit. What image dimensions are you facing issues with?

Is the same EPUB looking fine on other readers-iBooks, Readium?

Regards,

Pooja

• 21. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                                  Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi Pooja,

I have checked the same epub file in Readium and the images are fine in it. They are not overlapping on the next column and nor getting cutoff.

Also I have checked the same epub file (ADE 4) still there is the problem with the image they are overlapping and getting cut off.

I would also like to tell you the size images that I have use in Indesign CC 2014 (Release) is (W= 385.392 px, H=114.346 px, Dimension= 4282 x 1270).

Request you to please let us know whats the best practice to follow and if the images are in Readium will the images will be same in other browser or they will get cut.

Please let us know if we can make any changes in the CSS to control the size of the images.

Regards

Arvind

• 22. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

moved to InDesign EPUB

• 23. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                                      pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Arvind,

If the images are appearing fine on Readium and iBooks, then I think this issue is specific to ADE and readers do have rendering differences. 

Ideally your images should be less than 600x600 px in dimensions while you are exporting them to EPUB. If you are using "Use Existing Image for graphic objects" option,you might see some appearance mismatch in iBooks but not in other readers like Readium. So the first check is the image size and then how is the image appearing in iBooks or Readium. If you see any issue in these readers, please let know and I will look into it.

Regards,

Pooja

• 24. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                                        Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi Pooja,

The size of the images used in the Indesign file is large. When I exported the epub file with the options Preserve appearance from Layout and Image size - Relative to page the images are coming fine in ADE and other browsers. But the quality of the images is getting impacted as compared with the images exported via "Use Existing Image for graphic objects"

Regards

Arvind

• 25. Re: IMAGES cut off when converting to epub
                                                          Dennis Whitehead Level 1

Does this have any relation to the error message "Appearance mismatch may occur when overlapping grouped objects are exported to JPG format. Try exporting to PNG," cited without explanation or definition in "EPUB Changes CC 9.0 to 9.2" by Douglas Waterfall, Adobe ID Engineering?

This message has returned to my document without a pointer to the location of this so-called "overlap." The first time it appeared, I found two blank text frames that were the root of the message - neither was JPG or PNG