7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 2:45 AM by lornaimw

Shape paths

lornaimw Level 1

I'm creating shapes that morph together, so they need to be unconstrained. E.g a regular rectangle needs to then move into a loud speaker shape.

I did read some articles on regular shape paths and bevel paths (I believe), one is where you can take a single point (any point) and adjust that point only to any position, creating a distorted shape... and one where dragging a point will just scale the object in the direction you drag on the x or y axis (how shape layers are by default in AE).

I would like to create a path I can adjust at the corners within AE, rather than having to create in Illustrator and take across. Is this possible?

At the moment I had to create a shape in Illustrator, import it and select 'create shapes from vector layer'. This gave me the flexibility I wanted from the original shape layer in AE.

Am I just missing an obvious trick here? I tried double clicking my path to get the dotted lines, but then couldn't seem to move any of the points any differently...

Thanks for any help, hope this makes sense!

• 1. Re: Shape paths
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Use the Rounbd Corners Shape layer modifier. It works globalyl on all corners of a path, though. If you need individual rounding, copy&paste is your only option at this point.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Shape paths
            lornaimw Level 1

Hi Mylenium thanks for the reply

How do I access this? I can't seem to find it in effects, not sure if I find it scrolling through drop downs on the layer or within the 'layer' drop down at the top menu? Can't seem to find it or info about it online...

Sorry for asking about what is probably an obvious answer!

Thanks

• 3. Re: Shape paths
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Shape Layer --> "Add" menu in the top toolbar --> Round Corners

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Shape paths
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use the rounded rectangle tool in AE then animate the size and the corner radius. EZ as pie...

Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 5.24.29 AM.png

• 5. Re: Shape paths
                  lornaimw Level 1

Thanks guys for the replies, very helpful, can't believe I didn't look there.

Have tried that out and for some animations is gonna work great, but I'm going to pose the question again, but I'm guessing the answer is no... Here's a link to a test animation I created http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5qQgTeA8b4 The way the shapes morph from mobile to cup just uses points adjusted. I did this by taking an illustrator file and 'creating shapes from vector layer', but surely an AE shape is what it is then creating? I can't seem to do the same things with them

Thanks for any advice

• 6. Re: Shape paths
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you create a shape layer from vectors you create a shape layers from the vector path just as you would have if you used the pen tool. Shape tools create either polystars, rectangles and the other shapes in the list using geometric descriptions. That's the difference. It does not mean you cannot animate the Path, it just means that the animation is not as easy.

• 7. Re: Shape paths
                      lornaimw Level 1

Appreciate the reply Rick

I see so I just need to be a bit more careful with how I'm clicking the paths/ create shapes with the pen tool? The pen tool option seems like a better idea although I may be much less accurate.

Thanks for your help