16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 7:53 AM by A.T. Romano

Shadows/Highlights effect

WRABVideo Level 1

When editing HD videos in Premiere Elements 12, the effect known as Shadows/Highlights is automatically applied to a clip when I insert it into the timeline.  This effect causes the clip to appear grainy, so I have to delete it for each clip.  Is there a setting that I can choose so this effect is not applied automatically?

• 1. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The only reason this would happen would be if you selected the Smart Fix option when you dragged the clip to the timeline. The program won't do it on its own.

It's possible something else is going on.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Whate are your Project Settings, as lised under the Edit menu?

• 2. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve.

The Smart Fix is a very general Effects application, and is not the best for ALL footage. If it is invoked, it might do a good job, but in your case, not so good. I recommend using it with care, and then closely monitoring what it has done.

Did you accept the application of Smart Fix?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
              WRABVideo Level 1

I never applied the Smart Fix option in this project, although I did use it on a previous project.  It's possible the option stayed active from one project to another.

However, one thing I did find was that in the Organizer, the Auto Analyzer function was active.  I unchecked the Brightness and Contrast feature.  When I do my next project, or do a test, I'll see if that has any effect on the clips.

By the way, I didn't mention before that the Shadows/Effects feature only appeared on clips with a very dark background.  The original video was shot in a catering hall which is normally dark to begin with.

Bob Bonardi

• 4. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                WRABVideo Level 1

I never applied the Smart Fix option in this project, although I did use it on a previous project.  It's possible the option stayed active from one project to another.  Is there a way to turn it off?

However, one thing I did find was that in the Organizer, the Auto Analyzer function was active.  I unchecked the Brightness and Contrast feature.  When I do my next project, or do a test, I'll see if that has any effect on the clips.

By the way, I didn't mention before that the Shadows/Effects feature only appeared on clips with a very dark background.  The original video was shot in a catering hall which is normally dark to begin with. 

To answer your question, I'm recording HD video at 1920x1080p onto a 32 Gb SDHC card.

Bob Bonardi

• 5. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                  WRABVideo Level 1

Steve,

The camera is a Panasonic AG-HMC-80, recording in HD at 1920x1080 resolution producing .MTS files.  The project settings are simply set at capturing in HDV at that resolution. 

I did a test project and whenever I dragged a clip that was well lit to the timeline, the Shadows/Highlights effect was not added on.  When I dragged a clip that was shot in the darker catering hall, with the camera iris opened up higher than normal (not the highest setting), the effect was added without me doing anything.

My main question remains to find a setting somewhere to disable this feature.

Thanks,

Bob Bonardi

• 6. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I can't offer any more advice without knowing what your Project Settings are, as listed under the Edit menu.

Also, how do you know the Shadow/Highlight effect has been applied? Does the clip just look different, or are you actually seeing the effect listed in the Applied Effects for that clip?

• 7. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                      WRABVideo Level 1

The project settings are simply set on AVCHD NTSC video, 1920x1080i, 30 fps, the capture setting is HDV, and the edit setting is set at "optimize stills".

I know that the Shadow/Highlight effect has been applied because it's listed when I click on Applied Effects.  I remove it by clicking on the "trashcan".  Also, there is a green dot appearing in the Smart Fix box when I click on Adjustments.  I click on "Reset", but the green dot does not go away.

Any suggestions?

Bob Bonardi

• 8. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                        nealeh Level 5

In Edit> Preferences> General click 'Clear Auto Smart Tone Learning' and see if that sorts it out.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 9. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                          WRABVideo Level 1

Steve,

Here are screen shots of my project settings so you know how the project was set up.  Note the green dot in the Smart Fix box.  I'm assuming that indicates the effect is active.

I also just got an email from Neale to go to Edit> Preferences> General click 'Clear Auto Smart Tone Learning'  and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks,

Bob Bonardi

• 10. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

WRABVideo

I have something for you to try.

Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and make sure that there is a check mark next to "Show all do not show again messages".

Close out of there.

Drag one of your images from Project Assets (one that has been having the automatic Shadow/Highlight applied to it and has been causing Shadow/Highlight Panel to appear in the Applied Effects Palette without you doing anything.

The result should be the pop up of the Smart Fix dialog with the message about "Fix quality problems in clips? Yes or No. What you do here is important.

First...put a check mark next to "Do Not Show Again" and click No.

When you drag one of your darker image clips to the Timeline, you should not get Shadow/Highlight effect applied to your clip unless you actually do it yourself.

I have road tested this, and it seems to explain your situation.

I believe that you were triggering Smart Fix (whose messages were under the do not show directive and was last left with a Yes to fix quality problems.) And Smart Fix was using Shadow/Highlight as part of its fixes for your photo.

Let us see if this explanation and suggested fix works for you. I think the SG gave you the right direction at the onset but I do not see where it was explored.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

It does not appear that your screen-cap Image made it to the Reply.

Can you use the little "camera icon" to attach the JPEG, or PNG Image, please?

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                                WRABVideo Level 1

It worked!  Thank you for you help.

Would I need to do that for each new project, or have I set this as a default?

Bob Bonardi

• 13. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Bonardi

Wonderful news. Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

I think it "should" hold, but these "do not show messages" and this type of thing are unpredictable I have found.

To be 100% sure everytime, you could leave the preference to allow for these messages to be shown everytime, and everytime you would get the opportunity to say yes or no.

Please check it out each way and let us know what is working best for you.

We are very pleased with the outcome.

Continued success.

ATR

• 14. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                                    WRABVideo Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for your help.  I received a message from A.T. Romano (see the Forum) who gave me the answer to my problem.  Apparently, there is something in the software that wants to make the images "better" when no assistance is really required.  Once we know what to look for, then we can plan for it when setting up new projects.  This might be something to incorporate in Version 13.

Thanks again to all of you who were able to help me with this problem.  See you next time in the Forum.

Bob Bonardi

• 15. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

You are most welcome.

Personally, I am not a fan of having a program do "automatic corrections," and prefer to do those myself, when appropriate in the editing process. I feel that Adobe is trying to "help" users, with automated corrections, and often they work, but often they do not do so well, depending on the footage.

I use Shadow & Highlight often, but do not like it in automated mode, and prefer to do the corrections manually, on a scene by scene basis, but that might just be me.

I am not involved in any development for PrE 13, but should I be invited to participate, I will express your thoughts, as they mirror mine - let the editor do things manually, and easily, when desired.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Shadows/Highlights effect
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Bonardi

Just an add on to my prior post....and just a just in case note....

In your situation with Smart Fix active and your particular image, the feature's answer was automatic application of the Shadow/Highlight effect. So, after Smart Fix did this job, you found Shadow/Highlight Panel included in the Applied Effects Palette.

But, for another image, it could have applied more than one effect and you could have ended up with more than one panel for these effects in Applied Effects Palette. The default panels in Applied Effects Palette are Motion and Opacity. Anything else, either you or the project is adding to these defaults.

ATR