15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 1:51 PM by Warunicorn

Windows XP needs a refund

Jane O'Shea

I bought the subscription for Photoshop CC and it is not compatable with Windows XP.  I guess I need a refund...I will need to get back to my research on what is available to me for photo editing with my system

• 2. Re: Windows XP needs a refund
          Noel Carboni Level 8

I'm not judging your choices, but given that you seem to want modern application functionality, might it be time to start considering moving up to a modern operating system that supports it?

-Noel

• 3. Re: Windows XP needs a refund
            Mike M Level 6

I was going to say the same Noel, but I've had comments like that removed.

(I think it's just because people don't like my black hat)

• 4. Re: Windows XP needs a refund
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I have never seen any comments made be me removed from these forums. As much as I like Photoshop and continue to use it I have been very critical of Adobe policies and behavior.  So if you change you hat's color to as white as my hair you can make any comment the does not violate acceptable web conduct. Become the lone ranger.

• 5. Re: Windows XP needs a refund
                Noel Carboni Level 8

One of my "hats" as a software engineer / entrepreneur has been to develop Windows configurations that really work and provide at least as much functionality as XP did (yes, even with Windows 8.1).  When I make such a comment it's with the knowledge that I could help someone achieve that goal.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Windows XP needs a refund

In fact Noel company has even written a book for windows users

Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options eBook
                  USD $19.99

Updated for Windows 8.1! An eBook chock full of expert setup and tuning info, useful tips, and secret tweaks - the information every serious user needs to turn a Windows 8 computer system into a desktop-centric powerhouse! Plainly written How To for enabling all the "To Work" options, our picks for great freeware that takes up where Microsoft falls off, and guidance for how to keep Windows tuned up and running well. If you use Windows 8 for serious computing, you need this guide.

• 7. Re: Windows XP needs a refund
                    Herbert2001 Level 4

Jane, a good professional image editor alternative that does work on XP (even Win2000!) and is very system-resource friendly is Photoline. It's also quite inexpensive (less than Elements), and you get a perpetual license - simple. None of that subscription "voodoo" ;-) No 3d or video support in Photoline, though. But the image editing workflow is arguably an improvement over Photoshop.

Please do realize that Microsoft is dropping support for Windows XP this upcoming April - meaning your system will become less secure, since Microsoft will no longer provide any (security) updates whatsoever for XP. In the end it is a twelve year old OS (we could call it "retro" at this point).

So you will have to invest in a new operating system soon anyway if you value online security and OS updates - either Windows 7 or Windows 8.

• 8. Re: Windows XP needs a refund
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Though I've personally immersed myself in Windows 8.1 and have it working quite well, it was not without significant effort and at this point if I were advising a person who's upgrading I'd also suggest seriously considering Windows 7 as you did, Herbert.

-Noel

• 9. Re: Windows XP needs a refund
                        Jane O'Shea Level 1

Thank you Herbert2001!  You provided useful information and an alternative solution.  I am looking at Photoline now.  I also discovered that there is a version CS6 that is compatible with XP.  I am downloading a trial now.  Thanks again.

• 10. Re: Windows XP needs a refund
                          Herbert2001 Level 4

Noel Carboni wrote:

Though I've personally immersed myself in Windows 8.1 and have it working quite well, it was not without significant effort and at this point if I were advising a person who's upgrading I'd also suggest seriously considering Windows 7 as you did, Herbert.

-Noel

Yes, I agree - very happy running Win7. It runs almost abnormally stable for me (and I do not exactly have run of the mill hardware - quite the opposite. Sometimes I run a mac or linux in virtual box, though.

(honestly, in my heart I was and still am an Amiga user ;-P - still boot up Workbench every so often at high res in Amiga Forever)

• 11. Re: Windows XP needs a refund
                            Herbert2001 Level 4

Jane O\'Shea wrote:

Thank you Herbert2001!  You provided useful information and an alternative solution.  I am looking at Photoline now.  I also discovered that there is a version CS6 that is compatible with XP.  I am downloading a trial now.  Thanks again.

CS6 is more than capable. The major drawback to Photoline is the severe lack of documentation and tutorials on the web. Almost non-existant, so if you are starting out CS6 is probably a better choice - albeit at a premium price).

• 12. Re: Windows XP needs a refund

It took me years to give up XP. Windows 7 now is much better the XP.  I'll most likely skip windows 8 I skipped about every other version of windows like I use 98 skipped ME used XP skipped Vista after many years use windows 7 its a good system. So I see myself skipping windows 8 and will wait to see how well Windows 9 gets accepted.

Unfortunately IMO Photoshop is the Image Editor with the best set of features available. Adobe has some policies I don't like Adobe support policies are shameful poor. Many Photoshop users do not need all the power the Photoshog has to offer.  Photoline may be all some Photoshop users would need.  Photoline does not have feature comparable to some of feaures I use in Photoshop like scripting. when it come down to it thers a many very capable image editing application.  No single one supports all the Photoshop does.  You may be abe find one or more you can use to do what you now do in Photoshop.

Currently however I see Photoshop becoming more a web development tool and see more and more bugs being introduced into image processing as it focus in now clearly on web development. ACR seems to be to only area Image Processing is being improved. It is now a Filter as well as a plug-in and local editing is being improved more and more.

If you gave CS3 Standard and a fully functional current ACR for it I would op for that version of Photoshop and pay $10 a month.  I subscribe to CC for ACR. I find the $10 a month deal as actually lower cost the I have had over the years,  The initial cost of Photoshop standard and all the upgrades from my calculations came to an average cost of 11 or 12 dollars a month after a period of years.

I would not have problens like 14.2 breaking my workflow foucing me to find work arounds.

• 13. Re: Windows XP needs a refund
                                Mike M Level 6

Win 8 is "doo-doo". I bought a laptop with it last summer and I hate it. I have a desktop version for testing and it runs OK, but as soon as I can afford it, I'm getting a new MacBook Pro.

• 14. Re: Windows XP needs a refund
                                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Jane O\'Shea wrote:

How well do you know Photoshop Jane?  Photoline is said to be hard to learn for people with limited experience with Photoshop, and there will not even be close to the number of tutorials etc. as is available for Photoshop.  If Photoline has a trial period, make full use of it befoe committing your dollars.

• 15. Re: Windows XP needs a refund
                                    Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

If I recall, when I tried to even go to initiate the download of the trial version of Photoshop CC, it wouldn't even let me go that far since I had Vista 64-bit at the time. (Photoshop CC only supports Windows 7 and higher.)

As reluctant as I was to bite the bullet, it was time anyway, since the current trend is vendors ending support for anything lower than Windows 7. Adobe is not alone in this regard.

I don't regret it, minus the stupid driver snafu Microsoft has apparently run into where Wi-Fi is concerned. (Had Windows 8 and upgraded to Windows 8.1? Have Wi-Fi? Good luck.)  xD