1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 9, 2014 1:08 PM by Bill Gehrke

Bad time to build PC? + Storage Help

peterg

I'm currently editing photos (from a 5D3) and AVCHD+Prores video (from a C100/Ninja recorder) on an iMac 27" (3.4ghz i7, 680M GPU, 16gb RAM). I work off of a 4Tb thunderbolt drive which is cloned onto another 4Tb drive every two days.

It all works and it's not TOOO slow, but I am after something substantially better especially when it comes to interactive performance, so I'm thinking of building a new PC for myself. I feel that apart from the CPU/GPU performance, it's the memory and storage systems that will be the biggest upgrade between the iMac and PC.

I am looking at a build using the 4930k, 32Gb DDR3 2133 RAM and Geforce 780.

I have two questions however:

1. Is it a bad time to build a new editing workhorse with Haswell-E just around the corner? It seems the socket and chipset are very close to EOL and an 8 core Haswell-E might be a significant upgrade again.

2. I've spent a fair bit of time looking over the RAID Storage guides on this forum and others. There are a lot of recommendations to get into RAID3 setups etc.

My question is, if I have the correct backups and don't care about the redundancy aspect of things why would I go for an expensive RAID setup when I can dedicate a few SSDs for the project/scratch/media? It seems most SSDs hit 500MB/s and I already have a few laying around the place. I'm thinking of the following drive setup:

a. 500Gb SSD - OS/Apps/Pagefile

b. 500Gb SSD - Media for current project - Synced up to d

c. 250Gb SSD - Scratch

d. 4-8Tb HDD in RAID0 or JBOD Storage - Synced up to e and f at different time intervals

e. 4-8Tb External Backup #1

f. 4-8Tb External Backup #2

That should provide very fast storage for my current projects and give me 2-3 levels of backup without RAID setups. 500Gb should hold a few projects at a time too and as SSD prices continue to fall those drives will climb up to 1Tb.

Any downsides to this?

• 1. Re: Bad time to build PC? + Storage Help
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

peterg wrote:

1. Is it a bad time to build a new editing workhorse with Haswell-E just around the corner? It seems the socket and chipset are very close to EOL and an 8 core Haswell-E might be a significant upgrade again.

Any downsides to this?

Did you know that you can now build a single processor 8, 10, or 12 core machine now?  Just one 2011 LGA motherboard manufacturer that will accept the Xeon E5 v2 chips are the Asrock x79 motherboards.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke