1 2 3 Previous Next 84 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2014 11:32 AM by Martyson2010

Premiere Elements 11 file sizes

Martyson2010 Level 1

Premiere Elements 11 file sizes?

I recorded small 170MB and larger 570MB videos with audio using HyperCam 3.

Both load and play back in Windows Media Player (ver 12.0.7601.18150) without a problem.

I can load and play back the small files in Premiere Elements 11 without a problem.

But, when I load the larger file into Premiere Elements 11, only the sound track loads and plays.

No video track and the preview screen is a solid black box on my monitor.

Is there a file size restriction in using Premiere Elements 11?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There's no size restriction. Particular when working with such small files. (Video files are typically measured in gigs.)

It's more likely a codec issue. Open those files in G Spot or MediaInfo and see which audio and video codecs they use.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
            Martyson2010 Level 1

Steve,

I was under the impression if it plays in Windows Media player it "will" load into Premere Elements 11.

Is that not true?

I recorded the videos Large one and small one within minutes of each other.

Would the codecs used change without me changing them in the recording software?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Playing and editing are NOT the same thing... you need to provide codec information for editing help

Codec & Format information, read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Find file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                nealeh Level 5

The only obvious difference is the kbps which suggests hypercam is using a variable frame rate - something that can cause problems in PRE. Are you able to set hypercam to use a fixed frame rate? If so give that a try.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Martyson2010

Would be possible for you to download and install the free MediaInfo video audio properties readout program and get that program's Tree View of the properties of your two videos?

Just be careful with your download and install options here so that you do not get any unwanted programs and/or toolbars along with the MediaInfo program which is a great program for getting important data for your files.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes

There's also the issue with the CRAM codec, which Premiere Elements isn't designed to work with.

What model of camcorder did this video come from?

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                      Martyson2010 Level 1

I am using HyperCAM3 software on my PC.

It is a screen recording program.

Like I record flight videos (games) like Microsoft flight Simulator. Mostly to help other people with piloting.

I upload the AVI directly to Utube ... no problems.

I watch it in Microsoft Media Player ... no problems.

But, every now and then I need to edit the AVI a bit ... and I am just learning Premiere 11.

Until I loaded the larger file into Premiere 11 all was ok.

Now, the sound track did load ... not the video.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Please consider and elaborate on.

There's also the issue with the CRAM codec, which Premiere Elements isn't designed to work with.

Premiere Elements 11 offers Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with the choice of the Microsoft Video 1 codec (aka CRAM according to gspot readout).

But, you could counter with that is an export not an import and there may different between supported import - export for this Microsoft Video 1 codec. But, that would not hold up since the ID can import a shorter, just not a longer file with the Microsoft Video 1 codec.

As for your question

What model of camcorder did this video come from?

The ID gave us that in the very first sentence

I recorded small 170MB and larger 570MB videos with audio using HyperCam 3.

This would appear to be a description of the HyperCam

http://download.cnet.com/HyperCam/3000-13633_4-75000937.html

I do not have the answer yet. Still thinking about this one. The above are just some observations that I have made as I read the thread posts.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                          Martyson2010 Level 1

I did some more testing.

I still had Premiere 10 on my PC.

So I imported the:

Small AVI file = good sound and audio timelines  and played ok.

The larger AVI file only imported the sound track timeline .. No Video time line. The sound played ok.

So, I get the same problem with Premiere 10 and 11.

Then I uploaded the small and large AVI files to uTube. They both uploaded and played OK on uTube.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes

Are you waiting for this larger video to completely conform before you start editing? (You'll see the conform progress along the bottom of the program's interface.)

if you small file worked but your larger one did not, it may be because the program hasn't had the time to fully "digest" it yet.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                              Martyson2010 Level 1

Yes,

There is a progress bar that goes 50, 60 ... 95 etc then disappears when done.

But I have in the past let it go for longer but only the sound track ICON appears ....

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes

I don't know what to suggest. I still think that screen capture codec is the issue. But maybe ATR has some ideas.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                  Martyson2010 Level 1

Ok,

When Premiere Elements 11 is importing the AVI should it give some kind of error message if the cidec (or whatever) is wrong .... that will prevent a proper loading of sound and video tracks?

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                    nealeh Level 5

I've just taken a look at some HyperCam tutorials. It seem you can choose which codec to record your video with. It would be helpful if you could list all the codecs the HyperCam Video Compressor dropdown lists on YOUR system as it is likely that there will be one more suitable for use with PRE.

23.png

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                      Martyson2010 Level 1

The codec would apply to 200MB and 500MB or 1GB files equally .. correct?

codeclist.jpg

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Martyson,

Thanks for the screen-caps, as they tell a lot.

As for

The codec would apply to 200MB and 500MB or 1GB files equally .. correct?

That is correct.

My first choice, from the drop-down list in your screen-caps, would be the Lagarith Lossless CODEC. It maintains the highest quality with some compression. The file sizes (after compression with the Lagarith CODEC) will be larger, but the files will be "visually lossless." One note: if the Lagarith Lossless files are shared with others, they will need to download, and install the Lagarith Lossless CODEC, to play them. Since Lagarith is free, that is not an issue, so long as one can download and install it - some situations, such as an IT Department controlled computer, might be a problem. For that reason, the Lagarith Lossless is probably not the ultimate delivery CODEC, but for files that YOU are working with, it is excellent.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                          Martyson2010 Level 1

Ok,

I just record flight sim situations for small tutors to help other people or to explain a problem I am having.

I use HyperCam3 to record the screen, MS Media player to check it out, if no editing required it goed to utube, or Premiere 11 to do an edit (still learning), then upload to Utube.

I will now try : Lagarith Lossless CODEC on a 10 minute flight / record ... send to PE11 ... then I will return here.

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Martyson,

You should be fine, using the Lagarith Lossless CODEC for the capture files. They should Import and edit fine in PrE. When you are done editing, you will NOT want to do a Publish+Share with the Lagarith Lossless, but to one of the formats that YouTube can process, such as AVCHD. The use of the Lagarith Lossless CODEC is just for YOUR intermediate files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                              Martyson2010 Level 1

Ok,

I did a short record ... sent it to PE11 ... only got sound.

Played sound and video in Media Player ..

Here is what I see ...

lagscodec-gspot.jpgPE11-importedfile.jpg

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Martyson,

G-Spot is seeing the Lagarith Lossless CODEC properly installed, and with that, I have always had it available in every version of Premiere (Pro, or Elements). I have never had any issue with Lagarith Lossless (or UT Lossless, for that matter) - it just always works, and perfectly.

Now, the only thing that I can think of, is that there is an issue with your installation of the Lagarith Lossless CODEC. I have seen that in a few instances, where it was part of a CODEC "pack." The "fix," in those cases, was to go to http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html then download and install the latest version. That will insure that you have the latest (not that many updates over the years) version installed on your system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                  Martyson2010 Level 1

I got Lagarity codec ver 1.3.20.1-of-10GB-loaded-1-min-of-9-min-record.jpg

It made an improvement.

I noticed more GB / min when recording.

I recorded 9.5GB (about 9min).

It loaded and played sound and video in MS Media player full 9 min.

It loaded and played sound and video in in PE11 but for only one minute of the 9 min video.

This is what I see in PE11

** So, where did the other 8GB / 8 min of recording go?

** When Premiere Elements 11 is importing the AVI should it give some kind of error message if the codec (or whatever) is wrong .... that will prevent a proper loading of sound and video tracks?

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                    Martyson2010 Level 1

I just tried importing the video into Adobe CS6.

It imported and played just about one full minute of the 9 minutes video and sound that was recorded.

Now I have these results:

1, MS Media Player loads and plays all 9 minutes of perfect video and audio. So the video and sound got recorded OK.

2. Adobe Premiere Elements 11 loads and plays only one minute of perfect video and audio.

3. Adobe Premiere Elements 10 loads and plays only one minute of perfect video and audio.

4. Adobe CS6 loads and plays only one minute of perfect video and audio.

It is just like these last three programs are seeing an "end of file" mark but there is actually another 8GB to process.

So I keep wondering:

** So, where did the other 8GB / 8 min of recording go?

** When Premiere Elements 11 is importing the AVI should it give some kind of error message if the codec (or whatever) is wrong .... that will prevent a proper loading of sound and video tracks?

1of9gbloadedinto-CS6.JPG

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                      nealeh Level 5

As a test try with the DV Codec, that's about as perfect for PRE as it could get - although it will only be DVD quality.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                        Martyson2010 Level 1

Neale,

Thanks to all of you for your support here. It is much appreciated.

I tried the DV codec.

I recorded 9 minutes.

Played bback in Media player .. all 9 minutes with sound but the quality was real bad .. and shakey .. jittery jumpy ...

Loade into PE11 but only got 1 minute of the 9 minute video with sound and had the same bad quality.

DVcodec-1-of-9-min-loaded.JPG

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Martyson2010

I have never believed that the video codec to be at the core of your matter. But, the .avi wrapper is another matter.

I believe the issue goes to file size, but I do not have data to support my impression of your situation.

I have created Microsoft Video 1.avi files with file sizes to match what you are reporting, and I am not seeing any problem importing them fully into Premiere Elements 11 Windows.

Would it be at all possible for you to bundle your 9 minute video into download form, providing link posted here to DropBox so that we could look at the video first hand?

Thanks.

ATR

• 27. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                            Martyson2010 Level 1

Ok,

Good idea.

I got a DropBox account and uploaded the 500MB video that I initially needed to edit.

It loads ok into MS Media Player, sound and video.

But it only loads sound into PE11.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhm14nd38e0jtxe/FileTooLarge%20for%20PremiereB1900D-FL180-No-Cap tureOscillation.avi

I did a Gspot screenshot of this file for your reference.

Also a screenshot of what I see after I load the file into PE11.

Gspot-filetoolargefor=PE11.jpg

PE11-sound-only-loaded.JPG

• 28. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                              nealeh Level 5

I get your identical problem in both PRE11 and PRE12.  I suspect the 10fps framerate may be the issue as this is not a standard for any video format in PRE.

What framerate is the smaller video that does work?

Cheers,
                                                              --
                                                              Neale

• 29. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                                Martyson2010 Level 1

The smaller video is 257MB and loads/plays ok in PE11.

If you need to inspect it I can upload it to DropBox. That Drop Box is a wonderful thing ... !!

Here is what I basically see (screenshots) :

samllvid-ok-in-PE11.JPG

Gspot-small-vid.JPG

• 30. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Martyson2010

Thanks for the sample and great supplemental information.

I am just starting my day and am in the process of download your file whose link to is posted in your post numbered 27.

More later.

ATR

• 31. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                                    nealeh Level 5

Workaround success - I converted your file to MP4 with the free FormatFactory converter using the following settings:

1.png

This loaded into PRE perfectly, no further rendering required, for the full duration and all the sound.

2.png

I strongly suspect you are going to need to build in a file conversion step to your workflow to get these Hypercam videos working in PRE.

Cheers,
                                                                    --
                                                                    Neale

• 32. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Nice work for a solution!

I have not tried Format Factory, but do see it popping up to fix a lot of issues. Maybe time to give it a try, next to my DigitalMedia Converter program. Thanks.

Hunt

• 33. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                                        Martyson2010 Level 1

Neale,

Naturally, I am delighted you found a workaround.

"Workaround success - I converted your file to MP4 with the free FormatFactory converter using the following settings:"

"I strongly suspect you are going to need to build in a file conversion step to your workflow to get these Hypercam videos working in PRE."

This is where we need to go slow .. so I get it right ... I am just learning this stuff.

1. So, I can use MP4 as an input to PE11?

I noticed my Hypercam has these output formats:

Xvid MPEG-4 Codec and x264vfw - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec.

2. These are not the MP4 you used, correct?

3. Any idea why this conversion is required only on the larger avi file sizes??

I seen this list for Importing to PE11:

PE11-Import.jpg

• 34. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                                          nealeh Level 5
                                                                          1. Yes. With the AVC(H264) Codec it is natively editable in PRE - so I think it will be worth your while making a test recording with that AVC codec. Avoid the Xvid codec, that's more a delivery format than meant for editing. If you have any control over the framerate in the settings, 30fps is natively understood by PRE.
                                                                          2. Correct - I used the AVC Codec built into FormatFactory.
                                                                          3. No idea whatsoever - it has me completely stumped.

Cheers,
                                                                          --
                                                                          Neale

• 35. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                                            Martyson2010 Level 1

I got Format Factory and dropped my large avi file onto the FormatFactory's main screen and selected MP4 as the convert to ... and it got converted to MP4.

Sent the MP4 to PE11 and it loaded sound and video,,,,,  all 11 minutes!  .... you did it! Thanks alot.

I did not render it, just played it in PE11 ...it looked real good.

I also sent the the original FormatFactory MP4 file to Utube and it loaded and played ok there too.

The HyperCam recorded AVI file size was 580,994KB

The Format Factory output MP4 file size is 281,019KB

That's all good.

So all is good looking now.

1. You mentioned: "Yes. With the AVC(H264) Codec it is natively editable in PRE - so I think it will be worth your while making a test recording with that AVC codec"

I will do that.

2. You mentioned "Correct - I used the AVC Codec built into FormatFactory."

Does this mean that you selected MP4 output format?

3. In post #31 you listed a bunch of settings .... I did not do that ...

I will go back and check it later after reading up on how FormatFactory works /their manual/help etc.

4. After editing and rendering my PE11 project, what file format is sent to Utube when sharing/uploading .... AVI, MP4 or other?

5. I marked this as "correct" in the forum  ... correct?

Screenshot ... my imported MP4 file!

The-Fix-Is-In.JPG

• 36. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                                              nealeh Level 5

Very pleased to hear that the workaround is acceptable to you. Yes, in FF I selected the MP4 converter, set video size to 1920x1080 and framerate to 30fps. You can see this in my screenshot of the settings.

Because I did this there is one noticeable difference between my PRE screenshot and yours. Yours has a yellow 'render needed' line running its length whereas mine does not. This is because using the conversion settings I set exactly match a PRE project setting, whereas just accepting the defaults as you did resulted in a file not exactly matching a PRE setting. So if your test of Hypeercams AVC encoder is not successful, and you stick with FF you should probably put the settings exactly as I had in my screennshot. For better quality you could also use the 2 pass encoding.

I don't often use YouTube and on the few occasions I have I've just let the Elements Organizer do the upload for me so I've never looked in great detail at the exact format YouTube uses. When I've downloaded stuff from YouTube I usually have a choice between MP4 and FLV formats so I guess that's how they are stored.

Marking the post is correct. I wish more posters would, it's a great help to others with similar problems.

Do please post back the results of the HyperCam AVC codec test as well.

Happy flying,

--

Neale

• 37. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                                                Martyson2010 Level 1

Neale,

You mentioned: "in FF I selected the MP4 converter, set video size to 1920x1080 and framerate to 30fps. You can see this in my screenshot of the settings."

Ok, I now understand why you used your specific settings ...

I will do it also.

The H264 MPEG-4 AVC used by HyperCam3 (on a small test video) only loads sound (no video) into PE11. So, it fails.

So, at this point, for recording using HyperCam:

Video Compressor option = Microsoft Video 1

Output format = AVI

Convert the AVI using Format Factory to MP4.

Send the MP4 to PE11.

Thanks (all ya' all) for the dedicated help, support and the solution / workaround from Neale.

Edit : Do you guys work for Adobe?

• 38. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                                                  nealeh Level 5

Martyson2010 wrote:

Edit : Do you guys work for Adobe?

No. We're pretty much all ordinary users who like the product and want to help other like the product as well - and that means we like to help others solve whatever practical problems they have, so that they can get on and create great movies with their purchase.

Cheers,
                                                                                  --
                                                                                  Neale

• 39. Re: Premiere Elements 11 file sizes
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Martyson 2010

By the time I downloaded and looked at your sample video, I see that you and nealeh have worked out a workaround, that is, converting your Microsoft Video 1 (CRAM).avi (1920 x 1080 @ 10 frames per second) to H.264.mp4 (1920 x 1080 @ 30 frames per second.

I was able to convert your sample video into H.264.mp4 (1920 x 1080 @ 30 frames per second using the free HandBrake program). All 11 minutes 52 seconds of the H.264.mp4 imported into Premiere Elements 11 without issue.

In the case of these converters, we are dealing with changes in at least video compression, file extension, and frame rate.

However

The tests brought up some interesting questions

1. When I ran your file through the gspot utility, the video codec was shown as Microsoft Video 1 (CRAM), but it listed Codec NOT installed.

2. In spite of the Codec NOT installed, I was able to play back your video in Windows Media Player and VLC Player.

3. Your Microsoft Video 1 (CRAM).avi imported with the complete duration of the file, but only audio, no video.

Further

4. When I ran my own Premiere Elements 11 created Microsoft Video 1 (CRAM).avi (30 frames per second, 11 min duration) through gspot, the video codec was shown as Microsoft Video 1 (CRAM), but it listed Codec NOT installed - same as yours.

5. Yet, my file imported into Premiere Elements 11 completely (video and audio).

6. I need to run a Microsoft Video 1 (CRAM).avi 10 frames per second, 11 min duration) to see if I get the same results as in 5.

When you record your video, do you have the option of changing the frame rate from 10 to 30 frames per second?

So, some of the questions that the remain for me

a. Why is my Premiere Elements 11 created Microsoft Video 1 (CRAM) appearing to be different from the Microsoft Video 1 (CRAM) that you use in your file?

b. Why is gspot telling me that the Microsoft Video 1 (CRAM) codec is not installed when I can use it in Premiere Elements 11 for the import and export of my own file?

ATR

1 2 3 Previous Next