2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 1:20 PM by straightlife

Images all over the place

straightlife Level 1

Today was my deadline and it is blown.

I'd love to get this done over the weekend, but it's looking baaaad.

I have a 350 page book I'm working on for export to pdf.

It's my own book.  It's not for a client (I don't have any nor should I).

I have a deadline because there will be some lovely publicity about it coming out in April or May so I want to get Amazon going on it ASAP.

I have about 80 images.

I'm in Indesign CC on a mac

Just when everything looks perfect, I find some little glitch, correct it, and all the images float loose and go to all the wrong places.

I can ANCHOR some images but not all.

At the beginning of this project I was trying to anchor all of them to relevant text but got a lot of weird reactions from them and so I give it up when when it goes weird. 

I know!

What do I mean by that?  The image jumps off to the side or to a previous page or the text wrap stops working. Some behave nicely.  but most don't. I SPENT ABOUT A WEEK ON THIS. IT'S TOO COMPLICATED FOR ME AT THIS POINT.

I've re-placed images and captions hundreds of times.

If someone can offer some very very simple advice as to what would be my best move, I'd love to have it.  Complicated advice won't help me. I will not understand it. And I don't have time to take a class in indesign.  I mean, I've done pretty well, but this problem keeps arising.

My default plan now is to delete ALL images.  Work on the text.  And then place the images one by one where they finally belong starting from the top.

AFTER FIRST INSERTING A link or something to the image or to the name of the image without modifying the text.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO DO THAT or SUGGEST A BETTER PLAN?

• 1. Re: Images all over the place
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

My default plan now is to delete ALL images.  Work on the text.  And then place the images one by one where they finally belong starting from the top.

If the all images it's on one folder, when file>place select all images then you use up arrow or down arrow keys to choose which photo you want to place on it's page.

I've re-placed images and captions hundreds of times.

If the caption include in photos metadata, after placing photos select all photos in links panel then mouse right click select captions>generate live captions or generate static captions

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Images all over the place
            straightlife Level 1

Thanks, Salah.  Good advice!  Actually, it's going pretty well, pretty quickly. And I've discovered that if I just insert an image at the end of a paragraph, I can anchor it pretty nicely to that paragraph end.  I've got my fingers crossed. It's looking good.