7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 3:51 PM by Peter Spier

Table of Contents and Section Numbering ??s

jethrodesign Level 1

Hi, we are using CS6 and have a couple questions about trying to use automated section numbering and table of contents in a single document. We don’t do this often (actually, never used auto-TOC before), so I just want to see if I’m missing something obvious.

SECTION NUMBERING WITH SECTION INTRO PAGES

Our document (a style guide) is divided into sections. Each section begins with a section intro title page, which is basically just a blank page with the new section’s title nicely styled. We are setting up our sections as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. And we would REALLY prefer for the page numbering to be ’1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.’, where X.0 is the section intro page.

1) I can add the sections OK with a prefix of 1., 2., etc. But InDesign does not allow me to start the section numbering at ’0′, it must be ’1′. So my intro pages HAVE to be 1.1, 2.1, 3.1, etc. instead of 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc. Any creative workaround to solve this??? We really don’t want the intro pages to be X.1, as they have no content and we want the X.1 page to be the first with content on it, NOT X.2. How do people generally handle a section intro page?

AUTO PAGE NUMBERS AND TOC

We are trying to use the automated Table of Content feature and running into an odd issue. We have page titles on top of each page in a unique paragraph style (H1). We are adding the page number at the beginning of this paragraph using ‘Type > Marker > Current Page Number’ and a unique character style. It’s working fine on the pages, showing the appropriate section numbering we setup for the document (e.g., 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, etc.).

But when we make the table of contents, the ‘page numbers’ at the beginning of the titles are coming in as absolute numbers (e.g., 7, 8 , 9, 10, 11, etc.) instead of our section numbering. I checked the General Preferences, and it is set to ‘View: Section Numbering’. And when I exported an interactive PDF, the bookmarks also add the absolute page number at the beginning of the titles as in the TOC. But if I set the TOC to include page numbers automatically, those DO display correct section numbers (they just precede or follow our titles with the incorrect numbering).

2) Any ideas why the TOC and PDF Bookmarks would be picking up absolute numbering while the actual titles on the pages show the proper section numbering?

THANKS!