3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 8:23 PM by Chris Cox

Photoshop CS6 no longer detects graphics driver

Votbear

Hello,

For some reason, most of the GPU features in photoshop (scrubby zoom, 3d, etc) no longer works for me. When I checked in the Preference->Performance tab, nothing shows up on the "Detected Graphics Processor" tab. I have no idea what could've caused it other than a crash, and a windows 8.1 update. It used to work just fine, and now it just won't detect the driver no matter what.

I run Windows 8.1 64bit with NVIDIA GeForce GT720M as my graphics card. I believe my resolution/other specs are not a problem, since as I've said before it used to work just fine before the crash.

I have tried updating the driver, rollbacking the driver, updating it again, tinkering with the NVIDIA control panel, reinstalling photoshop, resetting photoshop preferences, everything. Nothing changed.

When I tried running the sniffer_gpu.exe, however, I was met with this message:

Could not connect. Error code = 0x80041002
      Vendor string:         NVIDIA Corporation
      Renderer string:     GeForceGT720M/PCIe/SSE2
      Version string:        2.1.2

OpenGL version as determined by extensionator...
      OpenGL Version 2.0

Has NPOT support: TRUE

Has Framebuffer Object Extension support: TRUE
      OpenGL ok

Does the error code has anything to do with it? I tried updating the driver multiple times and it persists, and I've also tried renaming the sniffer_gpu.exe itself

Help would be much appreciated.. I've tried everything I could find online and nothing helped. Do tell if you need more info regarding my device. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6 no longer detects graphics driver
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Did this happen after updating Win 8 to 8.1?  That happened to me, and it turns out that the 8.1 installer arbitarily chages the graphics driver to a generic driver of questionable value.   All I knew was that Photoshop slowed dramatically after updating to Win8.1 and low and behold, GPU acceleration was greyed out.

In my case a visit to the nVidia drivers site fixed the problem.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6 no longer detects graphics driver
            Votbear Level 1

No, I've been using win 8.1 all along and it worked fine at first. One day the OS just froze though, forcing me to do a forced reset (pressing the power button). I don't really know if that was the cause, but it's one of the only 'major' things that happened that could've possibly caused the problem. That, or a win8.1 update.

I have just tried fixing registries too, but to no avail. I tried updating nvidia to the newest version, rollbacking and updating again, but I have actually yet to reinstall nvidia. I guess I'm going to do that now...

Edit: I missed some lines on the sniffer_gpu.exe output

OpenGL ok, version 1.1 CUDA 4.2.1

Return code: 3

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS6 no longer detects graphics driver
              Level 7

That does indicate that your video driver has a bug.

Have you contacted NVidia about this?