8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 4:44 PM by rcraighead

Photoshop cc 3d ground plane grid not visible

WJJK02

Until recently, when working on 3d objects in photoshop CC, I could see the grid on the ground plane. The ground plane is still there but I don't see the grid anymore. Any ideas how to get it back?

• 1. Re: Photoshop cc 3d ground plane grid not visible
          irislake Level 1

I am having the same problem. Am running PsCC on an HP dv7 using windows 7 ultimate. The written instructions in the Help section don't work. At least one of the icons it specifies isn't visible (the one to toggle between visible and not visible ground planes) The instructions say to go to Edit>Preferences>Performance and make sure "Enable Open GLU" is checked but I don't even see that. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2. Re: Photoshop cc 3d ground plane grid not visible
            Danmill

Hey,
            I had the same issue. It worked perfectly well, then all of a sudden, it just decided to not display the grid any more.

I have fixed the issue though by going to Edit>Preferences>Performance, and then increasing the "Memory Usage" in the top left of the panel (clicking and dragging the slider along). Then restart Photoshop CC.

I only needed to increase it to 80%, and it seems to be working fine for me again.

Hope that helps

• 3. Re: Photoshop cc 3d ground plane grid not visible
              irislake Level 1

Danmill,

I tried that and it still doesn't work.  How much "Memory Usage" did you end up with? Are you using PsCC? Thanks.

Chris

• 4. Re: Photoshop cc 3d ground plane grid not visible
                jmeredith Level 1

I tried that also... the grid is very faint to the point of being invisible but does show slightly at some angles. Not sure when it disappeared but it worked before.  Looks fine in CS6... but no joy in CC.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any other suggestions

Julie

• 5. Re: Photoshop cc 3d ground plane grid not visible
                  irislake Level 1

Julie,

I haven't been able to fix it, however, I did uncover one possible explanation. Adobe has stopped testing certain older video cards for compatibility with PsCC including Nvidia series 100,200 and 300. Plus I think 4000,5000. But they still test series 400,500 and 600 cards. I have the 230. What they say on their help site is that some 3D features may still work with the older cards, but not necessarily all of them. If you go to your devices list in the control panel>device manager>display adapter, it will show what card you have. I'm using a PC so not sure how you check on a Mac.

Hope this clue helps.

Chris

• 6. Re: Photoshop cc 3d ground plane grid not visible
                    jmeredith Level 1

Chris,

Thanks for the response... I have a GeForce GTX580 card (Win 7 on an Alienware Aurora with 24GB RAM). The thing is, it was working fine at some point... just haven't used 3D in PS CC in  a while so I'm not sure which update may have caused an issue. All other 3D features work fine so I can't imagine why displaying the ground plane would be that taxing on my system so as to be faint/nearly invisible. Not the biggest issue in the world but I kind of got used to seeing it and it's throwing me off a bit

• 7. Re: Photoshop cc 3d ground plane grid not visible
                      soul7keeper

Exporting the 3D image to a file and importing it back seems to solve the ground plane issue. Hope this helps.

Gyan

• 8. Re: Photoshop cc 3d ground plane grid not visible
                        rcraighead Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This did not work for me. I cannot see the 3D grid or the floating 3D viewport.

I don't use 3D much so it may be user error. Any help would be appreciated.

PS CC 2014

Mac OS X 10.8.5

Graphics Card:  AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB