3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 7:57 PM by thedigitaldog

Converting RAW to PNG 8 bit vs 16 bit

perrybrus Level 2

When I open a 16 bit raw file in PS and save that via File-> Save for Web & Devices and choose PNG-24, it becomes an 8 bit file. When I instead just go File-> Save As and choose png from the Windows standard format dropdown menu it becomes 16 bit. Why is this? 

I also wonder what's the max. bit for the PNG format.

PS CS4

W-XP SP3

• 1. Re: Converting RAW to PNG 8 bit vs 16 bit
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Because it's designed for the web, and there's no reason to send 16-bit data, SFW converts for you automatically. The files are half the size after conversion.

JPEG doesn't support 16-bit and again, SFW automatically converts to 8-bits per color when selected as an option.

• 2. Re: Converting RAW to PNG 8 bit vs 16 bit
            perrybrus Level 2

Thanks for answering Andrew. I appriciate that. Yes, in this case my 8-bit PNG is 532kb and the 16-bit is 2,3mb. They share pixel size, so that's compression. It's weird that PS doesn't have more flexible PNG "save functions" cause what ended up generating the 16-bit file was my OS, if you know what I mean.

I know that JPEG doesn't support 16-bit but I'm only referring to PNG here. I also checked the PNG-8 option in the Save for Web & Devices function, but that removed the RGB color space and made it Indexed Color like a gif. I've tried to find out what the max bit value for PNG is but it's not clear to me. Does the format support 64-bit? So if I had let's say Windows 7 I could have a 64-bit PNG by saving that RAW file like I did trough File-> Save As? 

• 3. Re: Converting RAW to PNG 8 bit vs 16 bit
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Photoshop can save a 16-bit PNG but SFW doesn't. Think of it as a automate method of saving files for upload to the web. There's no reason for 16-bit upload. The SFW functionality just doesn't allow you to save 16-bit PNG just as it strips profiles and metadata if so set. I don't believe PNG supports more than 16-bits per color.

If you want 16-bit PNG, just avoid SFW.