Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player Installer Is Atrocious

Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player Installer absolutely sucks!  It is without doubt the worst program I have to interact with on a regular basis.

First, you have to download the installer.  17 Mb!!!  Talk about bloatware!  I guess cable modem users might not complain, but is that really close to 100% of all people now?

Then, once the installer is downloaded, which usually takes about 5 minutes, installing the program takes only a few seconds.  Does something seem disproportionate here?

Then, the thing I hate the most, is that you try to trick me into enabling silent automatic updates.  Why can't you leave my settings as they are?  But no, I have to remember to opt OUT.  Every time.

The next thing I hate even more, but which is part of Flash Player itself and not the installer, is that, if I forget to change the check box, and only see it after I have hit the Done button and the dialog window is closing, I can't just go to Control Panel (I have a Windows system) and fix it. 

I have to go to Goolge and look up how to do it.  Then I have to go to the web page Google found, then to another web page linked to from that instruction page, wait for yet another download, and then right-click it, choose Properties and then disable the blinkety-blank silent automatic updates.

All this takes at least 10 minutes of completely unnecessary time.

Today, after you had tricked me into enabling silent automatic updates and I got to that web page, it told me that the animation required a new tool and I needed a new version of Flash Player.  Even though I had just finished updating it not five minutes before!!!

This took me to yet another web page, where I had to install Flash Player from scratch!  This took at least another 10 minutes!

When I was finally all done, I went back to the web page where I can disable automatic updates, and when the "animation" loaded, all I saw was something that looked like an ad.  No movement whatsoever.  This is an animation?

I right-clicked on it anyway, just to see what would happen, and I did get the menu that allowed me to select Properties, so I was able to disable silent automatic updates.

All this wasted about half an hour of my valuable time.  For nothing!!!

Yes, I wasted more time writing this, but I am so angry I really wanted to express it.  This entire experience today was so infuriating that I seriously considered just uninstalling Flash Player altogether.

I am a professional software designer, and I'm telling you, if I ever designed a piece of software as bad as Flash Player Installer, I would be fired.  And I think your designers ought to be fired too.

ALL RIGHT, THIS IS THE LAST STRAW! 

As I was proofreading this post, my firewall pops up that Adobe Flash Player Updater wants to access the Internet.  So all this rigmarole I had to go through didn't even work!!!

I just told the firewall to permanantly block any access from Flash Player Updater to the internet.  I won't ever get any updates, but I am past the point of caring.

Once again, I think the entire installer team ought to be fired.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

17mb is "bloatware"?

Your PC must suck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed every Flash Player version since 6.0, and I never experienced any problems with the download, install, or auto-update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, reputation.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

People like you are entertainment for those of us who actually know what we're doing. 

Go buy a deck of cards and some stamps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines