3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2014 8:16 AM by Mike M

Install Flash Player on OS X 10.8.5

xerxex

Can't install Flash Player on OS X 10.8.5.

Receive message: Adobe Flash Player can't be installed on the disk. This system does not meet the minimum requirements for installation. Mac OS X 10.6 or higher is required.

I have enabled Java, trashed all Flash Player download Plugins and Plugin folders, and uninstalled all previous Flash Players from my hard drive.

This has involved hours of work so far. Installing Flash Player is the most unfriendly process in my 30 years of computing.

• 1. Re: Install Flash Player on OS X 10.8.5
          Mike M Level 6

Do you see this at about 50% installed?

GIE.jpg

• 2. Re: Install Flash Player on OS X 10.8.5
            xerxex Level 1

Yes, but I solved the problem. FINALLY!

Solution:

On some Macs, 10.8.5 installed a visible file at the top level named: mach_kernel, which should have been installed as an invisible file. On an unrelated Mac problem, I was asking an "expert" from AppleCare if I should delete this mysterious file. As I had never seen such a file in all my computing years, I was skeptical of deleting this file without consulting Apple. The "expert" told me to delete it as it was not a serious file, which I did.

Related to all the problems of installing Flash Player updates as described above, further Google research indicated that I should try to find the original "mach_kernel" file and restore it. Fortunately, I could locate this file on a backup disk, which I reinstalled on my Mac HD. The file copied quickly and instantly transformed itself into an invisible file, which it should have done in the first place.

Then I tried to install the latest 12 version of Flash Player Installer and, Voila!, Flash Player now works on all browers.

Thank you Mike M for your initial offer to help.

• 3. Re: Install Flash Player on OS X 10.8.5
              Mike M Level 6

Google is your friend.

That's exactly what I was prepared to suggest to you (replace the mach_kernel).

Glad yoiu got it worked out.