12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2014 10:34 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash

Salvatij16 Level 1

When I attempt to open a saved or new project I get a blank grey screen.  I've been using this program for years and only recently (a few months ago) this has happened.  Also, when I attempt to open organizer it crashes.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times with no luck.  I'm using an HP Pavilion Slimline w/Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct.  I've updated my latest NVIDIA driver and do not have MacFee security.  I'm not much of a tech guy so I'd be greatful for any help.  Any other suggestions?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Salvatij16

Did the automatic background rendering and AutoAnalyzer features accidentally get turned On?

Are you still working from the 8.0.1 Update version of the program?

Have you checked for pile ups of preview files, conformed video, and conformed audio files on the computer hard drive?

If you need help answering any of the above, please let me know and I will go into step by step detail if necessary.

Any new programs or 3rd party plug-ins or codecs installed in the past several months?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash
            Salvatij16 Level 1

Did the automatic background rendering and AutoAnalyzer features accidentally get turned On?

Are you still working from the 8.0.1 Update version of the program? - It looks like I'm running version 8.0 - Unsure how to update to 8.01.

Have you checked for pile ups of preview files, conformed video, and conformed audio files on the computer hard drive? - Unsure of how to do this.  Although, during one of my uninstalls I tried to clean out every file related to Elements before reinstalling.

If you need help answering any of the above, please let me know and I will go into step by step detail if necessary.

Any new programs or 3rd party plug-ins or codecs installed in the past several months? - Not that I can think of.  We use this computer rarely and only for photoshop and browsing the internet.

Thank you for your help.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash
              Salvatij16 Level 1

Did the automatic background rendering and AutoAnalyzer features accidentally get turned On? - I don't  believe so.  I saw a previous post that noted this as a potential problem but when I open the program it won't allow me to chose any drop down options to dig into further.  It only allows me to choose File > New, Open, or Exit & Help drop down works.  All other drop down options are greyed out.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Salvatij16

If you cannot get into the program to any significant degree, let us try some clean ups:

1. Preview Files. Are you on Vista 32 or 64 bit? In my Windows 7 64 bit, I would go to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/8.0 and, in the 8.0 Folder, empty out the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder. Do you find such a folder on you computer hard drive?

2. Conformed Audio Files. Here I would go to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/8.0 and, in the 8.0 Folder, empty out the Media Cache Files Folder. Do you find such a folder on your computer hard drive?

3. Conformed Video Files. Here I would go to Local Disk C\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache and clean out the Media Cache Folder.

After that we will be going after the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 settings file

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

8.0 Folder

and in the 8.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that we delete. If that does not work, then we delete the whole 8.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Please review the above, any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Do not give up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash
                  Salvatij16 Level 1

1. Preview Files. Are you on Vista 32 or 64 bit? In my Windows 7 64 bit, I would go to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/8.0 and, in the 8.0 Folder, empty out the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder. Do you find such a folder on you computer hard drive?  I am in 64 bit.  I was able to find those files and clean them out.  They were pretty much empty since I recently re-installed the program.

2. Conformed Audio Files. Here I would go to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/8.0 and, in the 8.0 Folder, empty out the Media Cache Files Folder. Do you find such a folder on your computer hard drive? The only two folders in the 8.0 folder is "Preview Files" (now empty) and "Encoded Files" (empty as well)

3. Conformed Video Files. Here I would go to Local Disk C\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache and clean out the Media Cache Folder. - Found these files and cleaned out a significant amount of files.

After that we will be going after the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 settings file

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

8.0 Folder

and in the 8.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that we delete. If that does not work, then we delete the whole 8.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path. - Found file and deleted both the Prefs and then went back and deleted the entire 8.0 folder.  I started up the program and the same issue occured.  I went back through these instructions and the 8.0 folder and Pref file had reappeared - not sure if that is supposed to happen?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Salvatij16

Thanks for the update and going through the suggested troubleshooting. Sorry the news is not better.

After the Adobe Premiere Elements Pref file is deleted and a Premiere Elements project opened, a new Adobe Premiere Elements Pref file is generated by the program, hopefully with the problem gone. So, you are OK in that regard.

Have we tried to run Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 from a new User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Do you have many or any old projects (project.prel files) saved on your computer hard drive?

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash
                      Salvatij16 Level 1

I appreciate the help.  I've tried running it as the Adminstrator w/no luck and all old projects have been deleted.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Salvatij16

Thanks for the additional follow up.

Have you tried opening a new User Account with Administrative Privileges and use that instead of the current one to run the program. We had one user whose only choice was to do that in order to open and use his Premiere Elements. I think version 12 was involved in that case. There have been infrequent reports of corrupt User Accounts as it relates to Premiere Elements.

If version 9 or later were involved, I would suggest downloading and installing the free tryout versions of those programs that still exist at a certain web site and inserting your purchased Premiere Elements 8  serial number in it. Unfortunately, I do not find any download for version 8. Some online authorized vendors may still be selling Premiere Elements 8, but that would mean a purchase with its new serial number.

Please review and let us know what is happening.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash
                          Salvatij16 Level 1

Unfortunately, no luck w/new user w/admistrative privileges. 

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Salvatij16

I do not work for Adobe, so I am not trying to sell you the latest version of Premiere Elements. So, please keep that in mind when considering the following as a troubleshooting tool only. The path has its pros and cons.

Leave Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on your computer closed.

Download and install the free 30 day try out of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe. Determine if you can get that program to work fully for your video editing purposes. The down side is that the program has a dramatically different workspaces, but the principles are the same as other versions. If that works, great.

But, then close Premiere Elements 12 (do not uninstall it), and then open Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 to determine if Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 will now work on this same computer.

If you have access to another computer, perhaps Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, it would be interesting to see if your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 will install and run on one of those computers for you.

I can run Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on Windows XP 32 bit as well as Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit without any problems.

Please review and then let me know if any of the above is practical or anything that you would consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash
                              Salvatij16 Level 1

I was able to download and use Elements 12 but no luck with reopening 8.  Unfortunately, I do not have access to another computer to install and run my version of elements.  Any other suggestions you be much appreciated - thank you for your help thus far.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Grey Screen/Crash
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Salvatij16

I think that would be a good troubleshooting step at this point, that is, installing your Premiere Elements 8 (and then the 8.01 Update) on another computer.

Please remind me what computer you have been using. I recall you said 64 bit, but Windows 7, 8, or 8.1? What is the operating system of this second computer that you are considering for the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 install?

More later.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR