15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2014 5:33 AM by daveujn

How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?

daveujn Level 1

Hi

how can I save a finished project to an external hard drive on a mac?

Dave

• 1. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

First, when you say "save," do you mean do a Save of the Project, for later editing, or do you mean Publish+Share to a discrete AV file? Those are two different, and separate operations, though many use the word "save," for both - that is not correct in Adobe Premiere-speak.

For the former, a real Save, look into the Project Archiver, which will Save the Project's PREL and the necessary media files, which are NOT in the PREL.

For the latter, at Publish+Share, one should be able to set the Destination drive and folder, to "export" the AV file of the Timeline.

If you have having an issue directing the program to use your external, you likely have a permissions issue between your OSX and that external HDD. As a Mac OS handles such things differently, than does a Windows OS (I am a PC-only guy), if that is the issue, then a Mac-user probably needs to help you set the permissions correctly.

Please let us know a bit more about what you intend to do, and good luck.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
            daveujn Level 1

Bill,

I want to save the finished film and keep it on a separate hard drive so I can then delete this project from my internal drive.

I can see that I need to go to SAVE IN and choose my hard drive from there but which preset is it best to save it as. I use the the PAL system to view dvd's.

What is the difference between saving the project this way and using the project archiver?

Dave

• 3. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The SHARING links at the Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

• 4. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

What is the size of the file that you want to save to the external hard drive?

I am strictly an Elements Windows person, but I have read that Mac typical = FAT32 format. If so, there is probably a 4 GB file size limit involved.

Please clarify

how can I save a finished project to an external hard drive on a mac?

Does that not mean you have tried to save your finished product to an external hard drive and the process failed?

Or do you mean how do I attach an external hard drive to your Mac computer and then point the Premiere Elements Export Save In to that external hard drive?

ATR

• 5. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
                  daveujn Level 1

"Or do you mean how do I attach an external hard drive to your Mac computer and then point the Premiere Elements Export Save In to that external hard drive?"

Yes this is what I want to do.

Dave

• 6. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

daveujn

As always, a strictly Elements Windows person here, but let us see how I do with your question.

I found the following article online which looks like it would be a big help, please check it out with

....attach an external hard drive to your Mac computer and then point the Premiere Elements Export Save In to that external hard drive

http://davidtse916.wordpress.com/2007/12/02/how-to-connect-a-new-external-hard-drive-to-yo ur-mac/

On the Premiere Elements Mac side of things, I am assuming, same as for Premiere Elements Windows, that is, in the Save In of the Export Dialog, point to the external hard drive.

Please review and let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Mac footsteps may be heading this way to confirm or point the way.

• 7. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
                      daveujn Level 1

Hi ATR

I looked at the link you posted but have already formatted the external drive.

My problem is that when I save the finished project Via Share>Computer>MPEG>Save in, I can locate my hard drive volume and save it to that but when I try to play it via quicktime, for mac, it says that I will need additional software to play it.

Should I be saving it as an MPEG?

Also the video is approx 8mins in full HD but the file size on the external drive says that it is only 365MB. Does that sound about right. I would have thought for hd it would be larger?

• 8. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

daveujn

Your latest post puts a new complexsion on the matter for me.

Instead of the MPEG export, please use

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4  H.264 1920 x 1080p30

with your Save In: set appropriately.

Can you play that back

You could also look at

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTime

with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9

then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab

Video Tab settings should look like

MOVMAC.JPG

Do you see that empty box to the right of the frame width and frame height? You may see a chain link in it. If you do click to get the empty box look so that you can type in  Frame Width 1920 and Frame Height 1080.

The upper part of the export settings is cut off in the screenshot. Before anything, change the video codec to H.264.

Please review and then let us know if any of that helped. I believe that you will need add ons for MPEG 2 playback on your Mac. These successions are for H.264.mov and H.264.mp4.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
                          daveujn Level 1

Sorry should have mentioned that I am using elements 10 so my visuals are not the same as the one that you put up.

But did what you advised.......

A.T. Romano wrote:

Instead of the MPEG export, please use

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4  H.264 1920 x 1080p30

with your Save In: set appropriately.

..........and can now play back in quicktime. So thanks for your help.

Just one question, am I now able to delete the video from my hard drive and copy from the external drive?

Also as I use the PAL system is that a compatiable frame rate?

Dave

• 10. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

daveujn

Good news that the QuickTime export is going to work for you.

Let us fine tune the details so that they apply to your actual situation

Premiere Elements 10 Mac

PAL Program Setup

Share/Computer/QuickTime with Presets = PAL DV 16:9

Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab

Video Tab...

PALMAC.JPG

The basic principle with media and the project (project.prel file) is that you should not move, delete, or change the names of folders and files that were imported into that project once the project is saved closed. Otherwise, when you go to reopen the project, you will be hit with colorful media offline (missing media) displays. A mess to correct.

You can still make a copy of what you saved to the computer hard drive and transfer that to the external hard drive (unless there any Mac technicalities that this Windows user is unaware of.

Also check out the program's Project Archiver Copy Option to give you some freedom when you want to move, delete, or rename folders and files that are in a saved closed project.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

Same principles in this Adobe document should also apply to your version 10. But check it out just in case.

Please let us know if you are OK with the details and if you are now moving forward with your projects.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 11. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
                              daveujn Level 1

Just one thing more.

Why would my resolution be lower than the one that you show?

Dave

Screen shot 2014-02-10 at 01.43.00.png

• 12. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

daveujn

I forgot to warn you.

You want to customize those Export Settings for Frame Width 1920 and Frame Height 1080.

Note that to the right of those fields is a box with a chain looking link in it. You need to click on that so that the chain link disappears and the box is left empty. When you do that, you can type in your 1920 and 1080.

You can see the empty box better in my NTSC screenshot in post 8.

Also, do not forget to set those other fields are shown in my PAL screenshot.

Video Codec = H.264

Field Type = Progressive

Aspect = Square Pixels (1.0)

Please let me know if you are OK with the details. If you need further clarification on this, please do not hesitate to ask. You are making progress, and I want you to keep moving forward in your project.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
                                  daveujn Level 1

AT Romano

I did as you advised and it has worked fine.

Just one question. If I want to edit/copy this movie in the future is it best to save it as you mentioned in the earlier post to save as AVCHD or as Quicktime?

Sorry if I am going over old ground.

Dave

• 14. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

I would probably work with the AVCHD workflow.

But, it might be a good idea, before you set up policy on this, to do a comparison of the formats to see which one gives you the consistently best results.

Please update us your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: How can I save finished project to an external hard drive?
                                      daveujn Level 1

I Will do and will let you know.

Thank you very much for your help. Invaluable as always.

Dave.