3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2014 12:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Does Premiere Elements 12 support Sony EX3 and F5 footage?

Allen Birnbach Level 1

I'm just getting started with editing, and am not looking to do it professionally, so I'm looking at Elements as a way to do simple work.  But along with footage from a Canon 5D MkIII, I'll also be working with footage from a Sony EX3 and Sony F5.  Does Elements support those files?

• 1. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support Sony EX3 and F5 footage?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

These are professional style camcorders that do not shoot in consumer formats, such as HDV and AVCHD.

I would very much recommend you use a professional editor, like Premiere Pro, to edit this video.

(Note, although the PMW-F5 does  shoot in XAVC, which Premiere Elements 12 does support. But you still may be better off using a professional program to edit this pro style footage.)

• 2. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support Sony EX3 and F5 footage?
            Allen Birnbach Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply.  The situation is that I am a first-time director, though I have worked as a professional photographer for many years.  I'm working on a personal project now that will have both still and motion component, and the advance I have gotten from several sources is that to be a good director, learn to edit. 

So my goals are not to be an editor, but rather learn the basics of building a story.  I guess that's why I was thinking to use a simpler program.  I already have iMovie, but was looking for something that could deal with footage my cinematographer is producing (iMovie doesn't).

• 3. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support Sony EX3 and F5 footage?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Allen Birnbach

Have you considered looking at the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe so that you can decide whether Premiere Elements 12 works for you and your XAVC footage and your computer environment? It should work for the Canon.

As for the Sony EX3 and its .mp4 file, from what I have read, it probably is not playable in QuickTime and that may be the tip off of problems in Premiere Elements.

ATR