17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 4:28 PM by A.T. Romano

in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank

sadworld4804

trying to sync the audio and video but the tracks do not show anything. i;'ve had this problem before months ago and i started a new session and the problem was resolved. not this time. i started a whole new session and it did the same thing. i can't see the video tracks in time line...i've messed with the stuff to the left and nothing works. where it says "shows how video will be displayed".... doesn't work. how do i get my tracks back visually?

• 1. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1st, IF you have an nVidia card, the next link may help

nVidia Driver Rollback PreElements-10 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

2nd, From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

• 2. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
            A.T. Romano Level 7

sadworld4804

Before we go after the video card driver, I want to make sure we are in sync with the issue and not going in the wrong direction on this.

Timeline view, Video Track 1 opened and expanded

Look to the left of where it says Video 1. You should see a Filmstrip icon (Set Video Track Display Style). You can toggle that into 4 different looks by repeated clicks with the mouse cursor (one at a time)...

1. thumbnails across the whole Timeline clip

2. one thumbnail at the beginning of the clip, one at the end, and blue blank space in between

3. just one thumbnail at the beginning of the clip and the rest blue space

4. just a black line running horizontally across the clip

To open and close Video Track 1, you click on the triangle to the left of the Filmstrip icon.

Can you see all that? If not, what are you seeing?

In opened Audio 1, there are only 2 different looks with regard to Set Audio Track Display Style which is represented by a microphone to the left of where it says Audio Track 1.

1. waveform

2. just a black line running horizontally across the clip

You can open and close Audio 1 using the triangle to the left of the microphone icon.

Can you see all that? If not, what are you seeing?

Please check out the above and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
              sadworld4804 Level 1

i know the toggle button you speak of. it toggles between screen shots all the way across, blue wave file with yellow line across, blue wave file with black line across. thats all.

• 4. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                sadworld4804 Level 1

the video files are still empty looking but i was able to sync everything with the audio track wave files and a lot of trial and error..... i did notice another issue though... the files are 45 minutes long roughly and later in the video it gets out of sync. what's the remedy for that?

• 5. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

sadworld4804

Please remind me, in your present project, are you ripping VOBs from a DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc? If so, how are you doing that? If not, what are the properties of the source media that you are importing into this project?

And, could you also verify the situation so that I am not taking anything for granted....

In spite of the fact that you cannot see your video at the Timeline level, can you still see it in the Edit Mode monitor when you move the mouse cursor from left to right across the Timeline?

If this issue is just confined to the Timeline displays, could you post a screenshot of what you are looking at when this situation exists?

At any time have you tried deleting the Premiere Elements 10 settings file? I had a problem with Premiere Elements 12 yesterday. When I went to preview a disc menu in the Preview of the disc menu area, there was no main menu page displayed in the project. I tried in a new project and got the same. Deleting the Premiere Elements 12 settings file resolved the issue. The settings file deletion continues to be one of the best tools for getting at issues that defy resolution by other means.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete.

At this point, I am not sure if the issue is related to a matter that is not revealing itself in the questions and answers. That is one reason a screenshot might help to pick up on a detail that is being missed.

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                    sadworld4804 Level 1

i'm not ripping. i loaded 3 cameras with sd cards to my pc. i'm syncing seperate audio track with the 3 camera angles. live band... i tried taking a screen shot but it said error. something about the file was too big but it was less than the 2 meg size limit so that confused me... .mts .mod. and .wav files are the files i'm working with. i'll try to look at the other stuff you mentioned tomorrow. at this point, since the files are synced, i would like to try and figure out why later in the "movie" they get our of sync. this is a small project that id like to render asap. once i figure out the sync issue i could probably move on i think. some editing and effects id like to mess with. thanks....

• 7. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

sadworld4804

Thanks for the replies.

When you get a section or sections with video and audio in sync, have you been using "Group" command to keep clips together?

ATR

• 8. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                        sadworld4804 Level 1

no i haven't. i was looking for something that said LOCK IN TIME, like in my adobe audition audio software. GROUP may be what i'm looking for? i will try that. thanks.

• 9. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

sadworld4804

One way to select several clips all at one time is to draw a rectangle around the wanted clips with the mouse cursor. Then right click anywhere in the selection, and click on Group. (Similar for the reverse, but then the Ungroup command would be available.

Any questions and clarification needed on that, please let us know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                            sadworld4804 Level 1

that info will prove very useful for future projects as well, thanks. unfortunately they still get out of sync later in the video. also my video appears to be low quality and i'm recording with a decent 1080p cannon hf r200 vixia camera. normally takes excellent video.  i think i've decided to abort this project since there are so many issues and just re record and try again. id like to figure out this sync thing though since the last time i did a experimental project i had the same thing where i get it in sync but by the end of 45 minutes its off. so if you have any suggestions on how to fix this i will be using the footage for LEARNING. hopefully i'll know a little more when i get some better footage of my band.... thanks.

ps could it be how i recorded the audio? i used 44.1 sample rate. mixed all the tracks down in adobe audition....maybe i should have used 48000 for recording audio?

• 11. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

sadworld4804

Thanks for the update.

Recap Time...

You spoke of 3 cameras each with an SD card. But you mention one camera brand/model, that is, Canon HF R 200. Are these 3 cameras all the same brand/model, Canon HF R200? All with the same recording settings?

Please remind me, is the audio part of the video file from the camera the audio that you are trying to keep in sync with the video part of the video file? Or, are you adding separate audio file for a given area of a video clip and trying to keep that audio and video in sync?

The video and audio of a file presents on the Premiere Elemens Timeline with its audio and video linked (Video 1/Audio 1). So grouping is not going to help for that file. Grouping will be advisable if you have a group of clips (each with its audio video in sync by way the "native" video and audio linkage at import.)

Please remind me also, is the video and audio in sync for the complete playback of the rendered Timeline in the Edit Mode monitor? If so and the audio video sync issue is in the export, then let us dig deeper into those export settings.

You have said that the audio video out of sync issue exists only at 45 minutes. If you make a copy of the project and move the content of the Timeline around, moving the 45 minute content to earlier in the Timeline, does the audio video out of sync track the 45 minute content in its new Timeline location?

Please clarify when you get a chance and then we can plan some strategy with regard to the audio video sync.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                                sadworld4804 Level 1

the 3 cameras are not identical. they all use sd cards though. i'm unsure of the recording settings, but i think i set them all to the highest quality. 2 cameras i borrowed for the project............... the audio is being recorded seperate from the video. i'm using an alesis hd24 hard disc recorder. i'm using the direct outs of my mixing board to go to the recorder and each track is recorded seperately. kick, snare, bass , guitar, etc... i dump all those tracks into my pc and mix them down on adobe audition audio program. i end up with a  audio mix of the files at 44.1sample rate. i insert this into my elements video project and try to sync it to the video tracks. ..........the video gets out of sync later in the video on both time line view and also the rendered final video......i mentioned 45 minutes because that roughly how long we were recording for.... i get it to sync on the first song and it GRADUALLY gets more and more out of sync. by the time 45minutes are up it's out by half a second maybe....noticable. ........... i have not tried to make a copy and put the songs that are later in the video towards the beginning of the time line.....

• 13. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                                  sadworld4804 Level 1

i just played the video in windows media player and it looks good. it's of good quality. so something is going on in elements cuz the video look totally awful and degraded big time....

• 14. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

sadworld4804

Thanks for the updates.

Let me back up for a moment.

You say the 3 camera are not alike. Are they all recording 1080p video?

We have talked about a lot of matters related to the workflow but are we in sync about the project settings. Those are important. What is set as the project preset? Did you accept whatever the program decided or did you set the project preset manually, yourself? To check what is set, please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and what is shown for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (whether the fields are grayed out or not).

Try to let us know what format each of the cameras is recording?

Once we are finished verifying the import settings, we will take a look at your export choices and settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of the export preset selected.

Thanks.

ATR

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                                      sadworld4804 Level 1

the other two cams (the ones i borrowed for this project) are 720x480 and both mpeg and both have .mod extension. all video is 29.97 frame rate. my cam which is 1080 has a .mts file extension. the project settings are as follows; edit mode DV NTSC... time base 29.97... frame size 29.97... pixel aspect ratio D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)

• 17. Re: in elements 10 my video tracks on the time line appear blank
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

sadworld4804

Sorry for the delayed response. I lost track of your thread.

From what you wrote, you have a Premiere Elements 10 Windows project whose project settings are

NTSC DV Standard and, on that Timeline, you have video from 3 different camera, apparently two are 720 x 480 mpg files @ 29.97 frames per second and one is 1920 x 1080 mts.

You appear to be creating audio to put under this video and however you place it under the video, the video and audio gets out of sync somewhere along the line.

1. Have we decided that grouping the video and audio did not help?

2. Have we determined where the out of sync audio is occurring, under the 720 x 480 4:3 footage or under the 1920 x 1080 footage or both?

3. Have you expanded the Timeline to the max to determine the best alignment of the video and audio before you group?

4. Under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the Display Format, are you using Audio Samples or Milliseconds?

According to Adobe documentation

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS04855172-E9FD-41b3-9145-FD434A543442. html

Display Format (audio)
                                        Specifies whether audio time display is measured by using audio samples or milliseconds. By default, time is displayed in audio samples. However, you can display time in milliseconds for sample‑level precision when you are editing audio.

Please review.

Thank you.

ATR