13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 7:41 PM by A.T. Romano

Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]

Atsugiboy

Will Adobe Premier Element 12 videoprocessing software convert my AVCHD videos to the proper video format (when I "upload" or "capture" then to my computer) and then allow me to burn to blurays?  In other words, will this software do it all (I have bluray burner installed)?

• 1. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Atsugiboy

If you have AVCHD video (with compatible format) on your Timeline, you should be able to burn that to Blu-ray disc format on a Blu-ray disc, AVCHD format on a DVD disc, or DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc.

We would need to check the properties of your source video. A file such as AVCHD.avi would not be compatible with Premiere Elements (any version).

If you include menus with your disc products, remember that stop markers do not function in the playback of Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc. They do in DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc. This is an important point if you are setting up a Timeline with more than 1 movie and taking the Timeline to burn to disc. And, you do not have to have a Blu-ray burner to obtain the AVCHD DVD. A regular DVD burner will do that job.

Do you have Premiere Elements 12 at this time? If not, it is a good idea to look at the free 30 day tryout from Adobe before any purchase of the product to assure that it is compatible with your computer environment and video editing goals.

Please let us know if you have more questions and need clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

-has links to the FAQ/TIPS pages

• 3. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]
              VDOSurfer Level 3

Short answer: Yes. Try it and let us know if you run into trouble of any kind.

• 4. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Atsugiboy

If you do not already have Premiere Elements 12, please do not purchase it until you go the free 30 day tryout route from Adobe. You will get the full version in the tryout, but with Adobe watermark.

It is risky business taking the short route Yes and purchasing the product now and then discovering some problem between your computer environment, source media, and your purchased product - even with a 30 day money back as possibility (tied up money).

ATR

• 5. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]
                  Atsugiboy Level 1

Hello ATR--

that is what I am planning to do, thanks to your suggestion. 

Here is my dilemma:  I purchased last summer a new cutting edge ? 250.00 Canon HFR 400 digicam recorder and recorded 5-6 hours of AVCHD videos in Japan.

I transferred them to my computer as instructed and have my source video files in my computer (and still on the memory sticks I purchased).  When I used Nero Burn Express 2  to burn the onto my bluray burner, it did burn them---but it burned them as "data" files onto the bluray discs.....so I cannot see them.

I am hoping PSE12 will allow me to upload/capture the video transfer again as "video" files when I attempt this again.....

Here is what one of the files says in properties:    AVCHD Video (.mts)

Sooooo, I am guessing I need something else other than .mts in order for the video files to transfer. (note:  I can play them on the computer.)  I need them on hard bluray.

Perhaps this will help you understand what I certainly cannot....

Thanks for your interest in my dilemma and your suggestions, ATR.....you are alright!

• 6. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]
                    Atsugiboy Level 1

Hello VDOSurfer--  Thanks for your interest in my problem......I am a novice, but learning this new digicam hidefinition way to doing things......until my hangup...

Here is my dilemma:  I purchased last summer a new cutting edge ? 250.00 Canon HFR 400 digicam recorder and recorded 5-6 hours of AVCHD videos in Japan.

I transferred them to my computer as instructed and have my source video files in my computer (and still on the memory sticks I purchased).  When I used Nero Burn Express 2  to burn the onto my bluray burner, it did burn them---but it burned them as "data" files onto the bluray discs.....so I cannot see them.

I am hoping PSE12 will allow me to upload/capture the video transfer again as "video" files when I attempt this again.....

Here is what one of my source files says in properties:    AVCHD Video (.mts)

Sooooo, I am guessing I need something else other than .mts in order for the video files to transfer. (note:  I can play them on the computer.)  I need them on hard bluray.   I was hoping starting over with Premiere Elements will add that needed video file code? to make the bluray burn work and produce videos when I burn them.

Perhaps this will help you understand what I certainly cannot....   appreciate- Atsugiboy

• 7. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]

Go to the tutorials link I provided in reply #3

Your questions are all answered there... start at the top and work your way down

Specifically, the SHARING links includes a link about sharing to DVD or BluRay

• 8. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Atsugiboy

From what I have read of your camera, it should be recording at frame rates of 60i, PF30, 60p for video with AVCHD video compression and a .mp4 file extension. If these files are on your computer hard drive, then I would start out with an import from the hard drive save location to Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace Project Assets via the program's Add Media/Files and Folders.

The first video drag to the should direct the program to set up automatically the project settings (Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not). For the does not times, then you will need to set the project preset manually.

We can go into greater details once you get started.

Your camera settings and what they are telling you

60i (60 fields per second aka 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second)

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second

PF30

that is Canon's

1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second

60p

1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second

The project preset that the project or you set should match the properties of your source media.

The project should be able to handle AVCHD.mts.

When you are ready for the burn to

Publish+Share

Disc

Blu-ray

Use the 1920 x 1080 settings rather than 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9

This is Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc (not datadisc).

We can get into the finer details of all this once you have the tryout and after you explore the program with mini test runs. At any time, please do not hesitate to ask questions or to ask for clarification on anything written.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...With all my questions, I forgot to ask..does your computer have a slot for a memory card?

• 9. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]
                          Atsugiboy Level 1

Hello ATR--

I did what you suggested and downloaded 30-day trial of Adobe Premiere Elements 12 over the weekend and the result is that I can burn to bluray!   Yes....finally.

I downloaded a copy of the Premiere Element 12 Manual/Reference to read in detail what I was doing, but it worked out just as you said it would.  I was able to drop in 10-12 video segments from my computer video files and used the timeline and burned with the settings below you gave me I have a "trial" disc I pop into my bluray player and instant video for my collection.   .mts files no problem---did not have to key them in for recording....it just did what was needed...

Later I used the manual... and dug in a little deeper with some of the editing functions and played around a bit with spacing and titling, etc.....

I was surprised at how user-friendly it is.   All-encompassing software, it is. 

Looks like Adobe Premiere Elements 12 will get purchased this weekend, installed and then I start transferring last summer vacation video to bluray storage.

You helped me out immensely, wherever you are.   Muchos gracias! ---Atsugi-boy

• 10. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]
                            Atsugiboy Level 1

Hello John--

I read up on the tutorial section as you suggested.  I downloaded a copy of Premiere Element 12 Manual/Reference and then downloaded 30-day trial of Adobe Premiere Elements 12 over the weekend

I was able to drop in 10-12 video segments from my computer video files and used the timeline and burned.   I have a "trial" disc I popped into my bluray player and instant video for my collection.   .mts files no problem-did not have to key them in for recording....it just did what was needed...

Later I used the manual... and dug in a little deeper with some of the editing functions and played around a bit with spacing and titling, etc.....

I was surprised at how user-friendly it is.   All-encompassing software, it is. 

Looks like Adobe Premiere Elements 12 will get purchased this weekend, installed and then I start transferring last summer vacation video to bluray storage.

Thanks much for your interest and help! ---Atsugi-boy

• 11. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]

When you get to the bottom of the tutorial links page (actually 1 link above the bottom) there is information on how to write HiDef to a less expensive DVD for a "short" video (up to about 20 minutes) if you want to send a short video to someone using less expensive media... it will, of course, require a BluRay player to play back, since a DVD player can't handle the HiDef data rate

• 12. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Atsugiboy

We are so pleased with your progress. Great job.

Are you planning any projects where you have more than one movie in the Timeline destined for Premiere Elements burn to  Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc? Typically that type of workflow uses stop markers in the Timeline to separate the movies.

Unfortunately those stop markers has never been recognized when the Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc is played back on a player. Same situation for Premiere Elements burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc. The only place where the stop markers will function for this multi movie Timeline set up is in the Premiere Elements burn to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc. We can talk about this some more another time.

Congratulations for your success.

ATR

• 13. Re: Will PSE12 convert my AVCHD videos and burn to Bluray? [was:Question]
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Atsugiboy

If you do try the Premiere Elements burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc as pointed to by John, you will find that the hard part about that can be finding a player. Classically, Blu-ray player.

In contrast, you can create (burn to) AVCHD format on DVD disc with a regular DVD burner. You do not need a Blu-ray DVD burner for that.

Lots of possibilities await you.

ATR