39 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2014 7:19 PM by theGuyFromMakiki

Narration killing other audio

Dopey branners

When i add narration, the other sound (music and video) cant be heard. It is not on mute as far as i can see  but it might as well be! If i DELETE the narration, the other audio is STILL muted (I've tried fiddling with the mixer etc but the audio has simply disappeared)

What is wrong??

• 1. Re: Narration killing other audio
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dopey branners

Recently there was another thread here about a similar problem. I believe it is still unresolved. Please see

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1392981?tstart=90

I will going to do some experimenting on this but got detoured but will put this to the top of my list of must dos.

But, the answers are in the details, so let us get some of the details specific to your situation since I write that problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes.

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

2. What is your project preset? Have you had the same problem if you started a new project?

3. What have you placed on the Timeline? Could you post a screenshot representing the Timeline with the issue?

Let us start here and see if we can figure this out.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Narration killing other audio
            Dopey branners Level 1

Thanks ATR

I started that forum and it seems I'm not alone with this issue

Ti try and answer your questions.... I am a novice so I'm still unsure about presets etc and don't know how to do a screenshot so I'm fairly hopeless however I've tried several projects and with different presets... PAL/ dslr /25 is one I used ...also the default. I have tried putting the music on both audio 1 and also another time on soundtrack and the video on video 1

The narration is always on narration

I have checked the preferences to check if the input is OK

To answer your questions

1) Elements 12 on a new surface pro laptop running windows 8

2) As described above. have tried several different projects all with the same result

3) Not sure what you mean. I've placed video tracks on v1 music on A1 and also on another project ,soundtrack, narration on narration. I am still a novice and so they are very short as I'm just trying to learn (don't need this problem!!!

Geoff

Sent from my iPad

Message was edited by: Sandeep Singh: Phone Number deleted.

• 3. Re: Narration killing other audio
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dopey branners

Thanks for the reply. I need to get your telephone number from your post to protect your privacy. I will see if I can contact a moderator to do that. I do not believe that you can delete that yourself.

I need to study your details. I will be back later or tomorrow to follow up. It is about 11 pm where I am.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Narration killing other audio
                Dopey branners Level 1

Thanks appreciate your help

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: Narration killing other audio
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Geoff,

For producing and posting screen-caps, this Tips & Tricks article goes into detail of one method: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4047580#4047580

Depending on one's OS version, Windows offers the Snip function, and one can use any number of programs, such as MS Paint, to create the screen-cap Image. Then, with either a JPEG, or PNG, one can use the little "camera icon," on the forum's editing screen, to attach it. This works when one is accessing the forum via a Web browser, and seldom, if they are accessing the forum via e-mail, or a mobile device.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Narration killing other audio
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Just starting my day and have scheduled this narration and other audio interaction top of my list of road testing.

If you think of any other details that are involved in what you are encountering, please.be sure to post them. An overall look at your problem Timeline would be great.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Narration killing other audio
                      Dopey branners Level 1

I have to rush to work now but will try and send screen shot tonight

One other point

The narration doesn't just kill off all the other audio on parallel tracks. It kills off the audio for the whole video. As mentioned, if I delete the narration, the music and video audio is still dead!

I really hope you can suggest something I can try!

Geoff

Sent from my iPad

• 8. Re: Narration killing other audio
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Geoff,

Have you looked closely at the Audio Mixer?

First, check that Mute is unchecked in all the boxes below the various Audio Tracks.

Then, when you play the Timeline, do you see the VU Meters w/ the green bars, running for the Tracks that have Audio, plus the Master VU Meter performing?

If so, what are those VU Meters (each Audio Track w/ a Clip, and the Master) peaking at in dB?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Narration killing other audio
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

BTW - the Audio Mixer is under Tools (upper Toolbar) in PrE 11 & 12, and under Window (upper Toolbar) in previous versions.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Narration killing other audio
                            Dopey branners Level 1

Hi Bill

The audio mixer is showing green only on the narration track. All other tracks have zero movement. No mute boxes are ticked and the balance is 0

On the smart mixer the narration and audio 1 are on foreground and the soundtrack is in background

I have worked out how to do a clip... What format should I put it in to send it to you?

Geoff

Sent from my iPad

• 11. Re: Narration killing other audio
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that information. It sounds like the other Audio is not Enabled.

In the Timeline, check each Clip, and Rt-Click on them. Does a check mark appear beside Enable?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                Dopey branners Level 1

Sorry...yes all have enable ticked!

Sent from my iPad

• 13. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

You wrote

I have worked out how to do a clip... What format should I put it in to send it to you?

Was that in reference to posting a screenshot of your Timeline? If so, jpg would be fine.

Or were you referring to something else?

ATR

• 14. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                    Dopey branners Level 1

I hsve a jpg screenshot but how do I send it to you? There is no way to attach it here? Pleasse give me an email address. and Ill send it the normal way ,  Sorry but this forum  is all too hard fo me

. Have you any other suggestions

I am still no nearer solving this audio issue

Is it possible the elements 12 is corrupted in some way? should I try reloading it?

• 15. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Goeff,

For attaching a screen-cap JPEG, use the little "camera icon," in the forum's editing screen's Toolbar.

This article will show you exactly where to do that: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643538#2643538

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                        Dopey branners Level 1

I have posted a screen shot. which I hope helps but i cant see how!

I really feel we are getting nowhere with this. Is it possible to speak to a real person rather than waiting overnight for a response which doesn't fix the problem and then another day before we can try another. It will take till christmas at this rate. I know youre doing your best and are busy, but it is not getting fixed and I'm getting extremely frustrated !!!! Please action this issue....Much appreciated!

• 18. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Dopey,

Thank you for the screen-cap.

In Audio 1 Track, the Clip's Volume has been dragged to the minimum. See the yellow line running THROUGH the Clips - it is at the lowest Volume. That Volume needs to be restored to about 0 dB, to hear that/those Clips(s). I see that you have Volume Keyframes in that Audio, so it appears that you were trying to attenuate the Volume, but have attenuated it the minimum - hence you cannot hear it.

You can click+drag that yellow line (the "rubberband") to increase the Volume of the Clip(s).

Good luck, and hope that helps.

Hunt

• 19. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                            Dopey branners Level 1

I'm aware of audio 1 that was deliberate I had lowered the sound in audio 1 to hear music which cannot be heard at all once narration is added

It seems you aren't listening to the problem... Adding narration kills all other sound stone dead!

Sent from my iPhone

• 20. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

In that screen-cap, the Soundtrack Track is minimzed. When you expand it, where is its rubberband, at the top, or somewhere down below?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                Dopey branners Level 1

On my way to airport ...will reply tomorrow.  Really don't think this is solution as the sound was fine till I put on narration and there is no sound in soundtrack when narration  finishes or is deleted ( I tried all that on other clips)

Sent from my iPhone

• 22. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dopey branners

I hear your problem clearly, and the syndrome has been reported recently by at least one or two others and no solution found. I have tried to force the program to reproduce the problem and have not been able to reproduce the problem yet.

In the screenshot that you posted, what are we looking at in regard to total duration of Video 1, Audio 1, Narration, and Soundtrack?

As for contacting Adobe, there are several online links to Adobe support. Many of them bounce the user around and the user ends up back at the Premiere Elements Forum. Some of the links include a link to Adobe Chat. But your issue does not appear to fit into one of those. But, you could try clicking on the following link

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=downloading-installing -and-setting-up

and, when it opens, select Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up. Then click on the statement "I still need help" to bring up the Adobe Chat who may be able to help or refer you to another department.

I will continue to explore the issue but, I cannot speed up the process of the exchange of information. We are program users who frequent this forum on an unscheduled basis.

ATR

• 23. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                    Dopey branners Level 1

Thanks but what you're implying is there is a bug in the program

Pity I didn't know it doesn't work before I bought it!

Do you think downloading elements 11 might work?

Sent from my iPhone

• 24. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Dopey branners

A bug would imply to me that it applies to all. But not all are seeing this issue where narration can kill the rest of the audio in the project. There are at least two Premiere Elements 12 users with this syndrome.

Premiere Elements 12 and 11 are much alike. You could try 11 to see if you run into the same problem. Adobe offers tryout for only the latest version 12. But there is an arrangement (details unknown to me) where you can still get the 11 tryout from the following source (but this source does not sell the product).

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-11-direct-download-links-pse-premiere-pre.htm l

But, you need to read what is labelled Important Instructions before attempting to download the file otherwise you will end up with Access Denied.

But, let me ask you this before you detour to 11. "If you open a new Premiere Elements 12 project, do you run into the same issue trying to establish the same Timeline content?"

More later.

ATR

• 25. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                        Dopey branners Level 1

Not quite sure what you are asking..

If you mean do I have the same issue on other projects the answer is yes. I've tried to create different videos with different settings and have tried putting narration on before and after music and have tried putting music and video on different tracks all with the same result. Essentially I can only produce a video with music or narration but not both

My videos are all short.  About 1 minute and the narration probably about 20 seconds

Sent from my iPhone

• 26. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dopey branners

Thanks.

You have answered my question in my last post. I wanted to know if the problem existed in more than one project and you have said yes.

Important information.

ATR

• 28. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dopey,

It appears that you are accessing the forum from either an e-mail account, or a mobile device, and your text is not attaching. If you access the forum via an Internet browser, your response should attach correctly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Dopey Branners appears to be traveling today, so I did not comment on the message that did not get through.

I expected that when the travel was completed the reply would come through.

Right now I am starting some testing on this since more than one user has reported essentially the same mysterious issue.

ATR

• 30. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Then that could be an "out of office" message, sent from Dopey's POP client automatically, in response to an e-mail subscription?

Hunt

• 31. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dopey branners

Last night I built a Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace Timeline as you showed in post 16 screenshot. I could not kill the existing audio (Audio Tracks and/or Soundtrack) with the addition of narration to the Narration Track. I did multiple variations on the theme.

Please comment

a. Was narration added only from the program's Tools/Narration feature and not as an imported narration (created in some program like Audacity).

b. Did the problem set in only after the program was opened for a long time and a lot of video and audio editing took place?

c. In reflecting on the matter, do you see any other maneuvers that might have been involved just prior and at the killing of the non narration audio?

More later.

ATR

• 32. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                                    Dopey branners Level 1

Thanks for trying

Yes, I added narration from tools narration from the bottom bar

I have only been doing short quick videos so it wouldn't have been open for a long time and there is very little video in it as the videos don't last more than 1.5 minutes

I can't think of any manoeuvres that could cause this. I have tried lots of different things but all end up the same!

A mystery!

Sent from Surface Pro

• 33. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                                      Dopey branners Level 1

Hi

I sent this yesterday but maybe you didn't receive it

Hi ...I checked the audio levels on the music soundtrack and it was halfway...ie OK except no sound is coming out..only narration then silence...

I've just done yet another video. I set it as PAL, DSLR 25. I added video...checked the sound. OK. I then added a soundtrack,all OK (video sound still OK)...I then added a narration and again it killed the sound on both the video and soundtrack. I checked the levels and they are fine...I then lifted the yellow line on the soundtrack to maximum but still no audio. The whole soundtrack is killed off...not just where the narration is., the whole clip

It seems that the narration causes the other audios to be muted but the mute button is not ticked

I'm confused who you are, Bill and Romano. Do you work for Adobe?

Sent from Surface Pro

• 34. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Dopey branners

We are just Premiere Elements users who have been working with these programs for a while (me since 2005) and who frequent the forum to try to help others with their program troubleshooting. Often a new problem for one is an old problem for others. In your case, I am finding the problem new for all (except that other user who ran into the same situation - still unresolved).

I will try a few other scenarios later today. I have been working from NTSC projects since I am in the USA. I will try some PAL project moving forward on this. What project preset is set for these projects with this narration killing other audio problem?

More later.

ATR

• 35. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                                          theGuyFromMakiki

Aloha!

I added a voice over without using the narration tool.  I used Audacity to record from a headset.  I adjusted the microphone input to mono.  I exported the voice over in wav format.  I added the recording with "add media" and dragged it onto track "audio 2."  I tested it and I could still hear the audio from the video.

• 36. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

theGuy

Thanks for posting your observation with regard to narration derived from Audacity and some version of Premiere Elements Windows or Mac.

However the issue is not looking for a workaround. That is known. The issue is why is narration apparently killing other sound (Audio 1 and Soundtrack) after being generated by the Premiere Elements 12 Narration Tool. A few have experienced this problem and reported on it. Yet I cannot reproduce it with my Premiere Elements (versions 4 to 12) Windows in order to try to troubleshoot it.

If you have experienced the Premiere Elements 12 Narration Tool issue, it would be very helpful if you could share the details on how your Timeline was contructed when the issue presented itself and what you were doing in the Timeline at the moment.

Thank you.

ATR

• 37. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                                              theGuyFromMakiki Level 1

I did three projects earlier and I could add a narration.  I reinstalled Adobe Premiere Elements 12, but I could not resolve it.  I used the same camcorder as the earlier projects.  Did someone find a fix to the problem?

• 38. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

GuyFromMakiki

We had one user who thinks that she may have.

But, as I said, I have never been able to reproduce the problem so that I could work on trying to figure out what was causing it.

On March 2, 2014 Llamadude99 wrote

"I was trying different things and I went to tools to narration. I removed the mute audio before recording, then deleted the narration I previously did and then pressed undo, to bring it back and my audio returned on my video. Very strange but it worked."

If you could tell us your setup where this audio issue exits and try the above to resolve the issue, please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 39. Re: Narration killing other audio
                                                                                  theGuyFromMakiki Level 1

Thanx!  I shall try that.