I am working on an intranet site. On this particular page,
that would have a lot of links, I decided to use pop ups. Some of
the links will go to other intranet pages, so I can type in the url
(the url links are working). I want some of the links to pull up
documents [that will be stored with the web files in the network
folder, in subfolders...].
I found a post on here with a similar issue:
my pop up menu links are failing. If I place an existing web
address like www.google.com or com other website I can get them to
work but when I place the directory and file name of a page on my
site ( X:\directory1\subdirectory\filename.htm) I can't seem to get
them to work. Is there a specific format the file name has to be in
to get the menus to work? It's driving me crazy.
and this was the reply
are you using a template? I had the same problem and had to do
instead of this folder/file.html
I had to do this ../folder/fole.html
if you are using a template it is thinking that your files
are in the template directory, so you actuall have to back out of
the directory in order to access the files
which I found insightful. I have tried "backing out" and see
the difference ( instead of getting nothing or error on page. I now
can tell the the computer is looking for the file in the link, the
results are "page cannot be displayed").I think I am headed in the
right direction, but I haven't figured out how to fill in the
location so that my links work.
FYI, I am using fireworks and dreamweaver. So instead working
on the graphics (fw) file, I decided to just experiment with the
code directly using dw.