4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 12:30 PM by head spin

Are Disc Menu Templates Restricted to Certain Versions of Premiere Elements

head spin Level 1

I ask this question after visiting the movipix site to look at what templates I might add to my PrE 9 program. This got me to wondering if templates are restricted to certain versions of PrE. After reading various posts in this forum I thought I was getting the message that any templates from Premiere Elements 4 to Premiere Elements 10 were interchangeable. It was a matter of inserting the subfolder from one program into the category folder of another program?

If I were to order a template from the movipix website would I have to check to make sure which versions it would work in? I read where version 9 had some problems with some templates that would not allow menu background video or pictures to show up on the burned dvd even though it was in preview before burning. AT Romano had played with some of the templates but I never could find out if the problem was resolved by Adobe.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Are Disc Menu Templates Restricted to Certain Versions of Premiere Elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

head spin

The Premiere Elements 9 DVD Template lost replacement backgrounds in the end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc was never addressed by Adobe. I found a workaround for the issue which I posted a long time ago. It involved inserting audio or muted audio as a replacement. In the morning I will dig out my posted report on that. I did not "play around with it"; it was serious business with lots of testing and studying of the issue and fix.

How many versions of Premiere Elements do you own and on what computer operating system do they run?

All Premiere Elements versions from 4 through 12 have DVD Templates. So, I am not sure what you meant by

This got me to wondering if templates are restricted to certain versions of PrE

If you have Premiere Elements 9, some of your menus may be disfunctional because of the replacement background issue. That is easily remedied by the "auto fix". Any "plus members only" in your version are no longer available to you because photoshop.com has been discontinued. Several of these "plus members only" can be found in recent versions coming with the program.

If you go into more details on what you are specifically after, perhaps I could offer some information and/or suggestions. A muvipix menu described for Premiere Elements 4 or later should work in your Premiere Elements 9, provided that you install the folders and files to the correct location on the hard drive. Extra fine tuning of the details should be included in any discussion of menus and versions 11 and 12...that goes more to location on the hard drive and how Content is obtained for those versions.

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: Are Disc Menu Templates Restricted to Certain Versions of Premiere Elements
            head spin Level 1

A.T.,

I apologize if you were offended by my "playing around" descriiption of your work. I was amazed at the ammount of effort you put into researching problems on this forum and others. The ammount of work you and the other contributors do in these forums is very helpful and informative. Thank you all.

I missed the post on the "auto fix" which sounds good. I did read several of your posts from a few years back. I have versions 7 & 9 but I read where some people wanted some templates from PrE 4 to put in PrE 10. I also read where Adobe is going to online/cloud stuff with versions 11? and up. I have Windows7 64bit so I would probably only go to version 10 to take advantage of using more memory.

I liked some of the menus in PrE7 as well as some of the ones I have seen online and would like to begin adding to a personal collection. I have a bunch of old family VHS and like to have a motion menu background when I make a dvd even though it is only 30 seconds. To be specific I only want templates that will let me insert a video clip or replace the entire backround with video. Outside of experimenting, I don't know how to tell which ones will do that.

I have tried a few templates that will run the video background full screen but the menu template is superimposed over the top of the video. My videos are simple. Trim video, add scene markers, create a DVD menu with a motion background, and burn to disc. I may get more complex later,but I have too much avi to process.

By way of example of one that did work: I used the Faux Widescreen template, Moved the Title and Menu, Scene Selection text to above and below the widescreen area, inserted a 30 second video clip, and it played in the entire widescreen area. I had to add some color to the text because it was in the black bands above and below the video. I also inserted a different clip in the scenes menu and moved the thumbnails around and that worked also. The only thing screwy was the Menu, Scene Selection buttons were reversed on the final DVD. I didn't notice in the preview that the arrows pointed to the wrong text because I hadn't changed any text (except for the title), only the color. I am guessing it was backward in the template. Had I noticed I would have simply swapped text so that the arrow pointed to the correct path. As this was an experimental DVD it wasn't super important. But I encourage other users to check all of the functions of the buttons in the preview befor burning to disc

Thank you for your time.

• 3. Re: Are Disc Menu Templates Restricted to Certain Versions of Premiere Elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

head spin

No offense taken. I just did not want you to have the impression that my work on those missing replacement backgrounds in the PE9 disc menus was hit and run. I was not sure of how much of the prior reports you had run into.

I have just put together a blog post with excerpts from some of my posted reports on the "Audio Fix" as well as the earlier definition of the issue (November 2010 to September 2011).

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe9-disc-menu-lost-replacement.html

If you purchase Premiere Elements 10 and install it on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer, Premiere Elements 10 will be a 64 bit application running on the 64 bit system and will have the 64 bit resources available to it. In spite the 64 bit situation, look to the following to place your purchased disc menu themes...

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 10

DVD Templates

Common

and in the Common Folder create an empty folder and name it something like Special Menus. In that Special Menus Folder goes a "theme" Folder which contains all the files needed to make the disc menu theme work for you.

Your wrote

I also inserted a different clip in the scenes menu and moved the thumbnails around and that worked also. The only thing screwy was the Menu, Scene Selection buttons were reversed on the final DVD. I didn't notice in the preview that the arrows pointed to the wrong text because I hadn't changed any text (except for the title), only the color.

We would have to exchange more details on that one, especially the parts of naming scene menu thumbnails and moving them around and where you were doing the renaming. I just finished a blog post on scene menu button editing. Some of the background information in it may be helpful, especially the scene button renaming.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe-scene-menu-customizationdecreasing.html

Please review and then let us know if any of the above worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Are Disc Menu Templates Restricted to Certain Versions of Premiere Elements
                head spin Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for your response. A wealth of information. Quite a bit of it I had already read. You've gone to a lot of work. Of most interest to me were a couple of posts. One in this forum "Using Disc Menus from Premiere Elements 4 in Premiere Elements 12". (Sorry I didn't copy the message #). The other detailed post was in Elements Village Premiere Elements forum.  http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73006&highlight=templates+folder

These posts are explaining pretty much how to install additonal templates, either between versions, or downloaded templates? Very good. One question on the Elements Village post though. You mentioned deselecting "Read Only" in the properties dialog box of the folder to be transferred. Is this only necessary if transferring from one computer to another? or should this be done when transferring from one PrE version to another within the same computer?

I think you have answered my question on using menu templates across the board from PrE version 4 thru 12. Just a matter of getting them in the correct folders as you have pointed out in your various posts. And it appears that only PrE 9 had the issues that didn't get fixed by Adobe as far as menu background & audio not getting burned to disc?

To give more details on the Menu and Scene Selection buttons. I should have said PLAY ALL instead of Menu. I did not modify them. I merely dragged the Play All button to the bottom left and the Scene button to the bottom right of the Main Menu page. The arrows pointing to them went along with the text. But on the burned DVD they seem to be reversed when the arrow is highlighting the choice to be made. Play All selects Scenes and vice versa. I probably won't be using this template again anyway but was interesting.

Not sure where to post this next question. Is there a way to start a post? where members can list a few of their favorite Disc Menu Templates that they use all the time? Kind of a vague question but I'm guessing out of all of the available templates in each of the versions of PrE only a few get used over and over. As the list would grow people could vote (?) on various ones and some kind of master list might be produced for future use or download. For example: PrE version (or a downloaded version like from Movipix ) used, templates used, categories (ie:general,entertainment, etc.) It seems as though a new version introduced adds some templates and takes some away. Then people are left looking or trying to figure out how to replace them (such as transferring them as we have been discussing)

Thank you for your time