4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 12:19 PM by rob day

Yellow images

ginadawson

I placed a jpg image into my InDesign document that is supposed to be white snow, but after I place it the images becomes yellow.  In fact, after I choose the image to place and before I click in my document a frame to put it in, it's actually the correct color.  But as soon as I place it, it turns yellow.  When I create a pdf, it's back to white.  But when I try to use the Blurb book creator to upload the book, it's back to yellow.  Why?  If I try to use any other non-Adobe product, like Publisher, it's the correct color.  This same thing happens when I open it in PhotoShop. 

How do I get rid of the yellow tint on my images?  What should my color settings and profiles be?   I am using Adobe InDesign CS6 for Windows.  My current setup is:

Settings-Custom

Working Spaces:

RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1

CMYK - U.S. Web Coated SWOP v2

Color Management Polices:

RGB - Preserve embedded profile

CMYK - Preserve numbers (ignore linked profile)

Conversion options:

Engine - Adobe (ACE)

Intent - Relative Colormetric

Use black point compensation-checked

Thanks for your help,

Gina

• 1. Re: Yellow images
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the JPG CMYK, RGB or Grayscale and was it saved with an embedded profile?

• 2. Re: Yellow images
            ginadawson Level 1

It's RGB and it's a photo I downloaded from istockphoto.com.  Should I turn off any color management that InDesign or Photoshop is doing and open the jpg in Photoshop and save it as a psd file and link that way?  I noticed when I turned off the color management and conversions that the image stayed white.  What are the Adobe programs doing that convert images to yellow?

• 3. Re: Yellow images

You can't turn of color management—even with the Emulate ID 2 preset the colors are being managed you just don't know how.

When you save the istockphoto make sure to include its profile:

Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 3.05.37 PM.png

Then in Indesign select the image and double-check that its profile is assigned. With the image selected choose Object>Image Color Settings:

Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 3.12.29 PM.png

• 4. Re: Yellow images

Also, when you place RGB and choose Overprint Preview, or if there's transparency on the page, the preview shows how the color will get converted into your document's CMYK space. If the RGB colors or out-of-gamut to CMYK you might see I shift in colors, but I wouldn't expect to see whites turn yellow