14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2014 9:34 PM by A.T. Romano

m2ts videos won't play

DennyS

I just installed PSE 12 on a new computer and my m2ts videos won't play in the organizer. They do play in my pictures folder.

• 1. Re: m2ts videos won't play
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

• 2. Re: m2ts videos won't play
            DennyS Level 1

Elements 12 & Premiere Elements 12 installed from discs on a new computer with Windows 7 Professional. 2TB hard drive, 256GD SSD, 24GB RAM. No issues with importing files but when I try to play an imported video, I get a message that I don't have the required compresser/decompresser(codec) installed. I downloaded Quicktime but still no luck. I had no issues with PSE 11 on my old computer also running Windows 7.

• 3. Re: m2ts videos won't play
              A.T. Romano Level 7

DennyS

Since you are referring to use of Elements Organizer 12 in the same context as Photoshop Elements 12, your question could be asked in the Photoshop Elements Forum here.

But, since Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 share the same Elements Organizer 12 catalog, I will continue in the Premiere Elements 12 context.

What are the properties of these .m2ts files other than the file extension (wrapper format)? What is the video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio? What brand/model/settings were used to record these .m2ts files?

What happens if you delete the .m2ts from the Elements Organizer 12, import the .m2ts into Premiere Elements 12 workspace, and then open Elements Organizer 12 from the Organizer tab at the bottom of the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace. Do you find a copy of the .m2ts in the Elements Organizer that now displays its first frame and will play back in the Elements Organizer? When you do not see a first frame image in the Elements Organizer 12 .m2ts thumbnail, have you right clicked that thumbnail and selected Update Thumbnail?

You wrote

I had no issues with PSE 11 on my old computer also running Windows 7.

When you say Photoshop Elements 11, does that include the Elements Organizer 11?

ATR

• 4. Re: m2ts videos won't play
                DennyS Level 1

You lost me on the properties other than the file extension. I can tell you this. The videos were recorded with a Panasonic GH3. I had these videos on my old computer with PSE 11 installed. When I opened the organizer I got thumbnails and when I clicked on them they played. Now in the PSE 12 organizer, the thumbnails are gray and when I click on them I get the codec message. I can right click to edit and they do open in Premiere Elements. I just want to be able to see the thumbnails again and play them in the organizer.

• 5. Re: m2ts videos won't play
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>lost me on the properties other than the file extension

Codec & Format information, read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to find file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 6. Re: m2ts videos won't play
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

DennyS

When one is involved in format compatibility issues, we are at a disvantage without knowing the properties with which we are dealing.

Make sure that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12.

From what I have read of your camera, it is probably recording for you 1920 x 1080 @ 50 or 60 progressive frames per second. Do you see anything in what you are doing that would indicate that you are working with 1080p60 or 1080p50?

I see no reference to the Panasonic GH3 using a .m2ts file extension. Any chance it could be .mts?

For some rough troubleshooting, let us try this

a. Open Premiere Elements 12 to its Expert workspace. Use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to get your video into the Timeline Video 1 track. Does the video import so that you can see the video and hear the audio from the Edit Mode monitor?

b. If you can, then click on the Organizer Tab at the bottom of the Premiere Elements Expert workspace to open the Elements Organizer 12. Do you see a copy of your video there? Do you see the first frame of the video in the thumbnail? Can the video be played back in the Elements Organizer 12?

c. Have you right clicked the video's thumbnail in the Elements Organizer 12 and selected Update Thumbnail?

Please review and then we can consider what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: m2ts videos won't play
                      DennyS Level 1

This is the file name from the information tab in the organizer. 20120527(104803).m2ts

It does open in the editor but is still gray in the organizer and won't play. I tried the update thumbnail feature but that doesn't do anything.

I have seen other posts with people having the same problem going back for some time. One of the solutions was to remove and re-install the programs. As I said before, I had no issues using both Elements 11 & Premiere Elements 11 on my old computer that I had purchased via download. Once I purchased my new computer, I had issues re-installing 11 from Adobe so I decided to upgrade to 12.

I purchased a disc set from Amazon.

Now I have a new problem. Once I removed and re-installed Elements 12, I now get a message that my trial period has expired. What do I do about that? Now I can't even use Elements.

I am so frustrated right now. Shame on Adobe!

• 8. Re: m2ts videos won't play
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

DennyS

You wrote

Now I have a new problem. Once I removed and re-installed Elements 12, I now get a message that my trial period has expired. What do I do about that?

The following should work, not to worry. This tryout has expired message has happened for me, and I was working from an purchased installation disc. In that message, you should see two options

Continue trial

and

License This Product

Click on License This Product and insert your purchased serial number, and your Adobe ID and password if asked for.

Now back to the .m2ts gray thumbnail in the Elements Organizer....

a. Even if the thumbnail is gray, can you playback the file in the Elements Organizer?

b. At the hard drive save location, copy the original file and start looking at alternative file extensions,

renaming

.m2ts to .m2t

.m2ts to .mts

Does that work for you when have imported the renamed file into the Elements Organizer?

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: m2ts videos won't play
                          DennyS Level 1

The trial message appears on the welcome screen. The only option that I can click on is "Buy now". The only thing that opens is My Cart. If I log on to My Adobe the serial numbers for PSE11, PRE11, PSE12, & PRE12 are listed as registered.

As for the gray thumbnails, they won't play if I click on them (I get the message per above) but if I right click and choose "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor" it opens in the editor.

I haven't found a way (or don't know how) to rename file extensions. I'm not that computer literate.

All I know is that these very same files played in the PSE11 organizer and the thumbnails were visible.

• 10. Re: m2ts videos won't play
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

DennyS

Your registration of these products at Adobe does not mean that the products are activated on your computer.

Let us focus the following

Now I have a new problem. Once I removed and re-installed Elements 12, I now get a message that my trial period has expired. What do I do about that? Now I can't even use Elements.

Based on prior history with this type of issue, there should be an option to "license this product" on the message. You say that there is not. There are 3 possible routes to take

1. Contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat who specializes in product activation. You would click on the following link

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=serial-number-issues-o r-activating-my-product

Once the link opens, click on the statement in the link "I still need help" in order to bring up the Adobe Chat.

2. You could post a screenshot of the message that you are getting to see if we can detect anything in the message that we are overlooking.

3. You could go through the uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall drill again, with the reinstall with anti-virus and firewalls off.

We will work on the Elements Organizer 12 when the above is resolved.

You wrote

All I know is that these very same files played in the PSE11 organizer and the thumbnails were visible.

Remember we are dealing with Elements Organizer 12 and not 11 in your specific computer environment. So nothing is to be taken for granted as we rule in and out factors to get at the core of the matter.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: m2ts videos won't play
                              DennyS Level 1

Well after several hours on a connect session, the issue is finally resolved. As a last resort, we deleted the program again and this time installed it as a trial instead of with the actual serial number. Then I got the option to license the product.

As a bonus, it appears that with all the changes that were tried during the connect session, the issue with the thumbnails has also been resolved.

Thanks for the link.

• 12. Re: m2ts videos won't play
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

DennyS

We are so pleased that Adobe Chat came through for you, and you can now move forward in your Premiere Elements workflows. Great job by you and Adobe.

We would really like to know what triggered the resolution of the .m2ts issue in the Elements Organizer. But, in many of these cases, the whys do not surface, and we move on. But, from a troubleshooting perspective, very frustrating.

Great news of success, great job.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: m2ts videos won't play
                                  eric ander

An alternative way is to convert m2ts to Adobe supported .mov or .m4v format, I use this Free m2ts converter for mac and windows

• 14. Re: m2ts videos won't play
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

eric ander

There should be no need for a free or not free converter to convert .m2ts to anything else.

If you have read through the thread, the problem was solved without file conversion, instead uninstall/reinstall with Adobe help.

There is no substitute for a program properly installed and working the way it was designed to work.

ATR