10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2016 12:53 PM by Ride-To-Heaven

After Effects Render H.264 Warning

Creative5511

Hello,

I am trying to build an animation for an airport signage display. Here are the specs 3240 x 3840 Resolution, 10 secs, must be a H.264 MOV file.

I built everything in After Effects and go to render. When I select the H.264 Render option I get a warning on the box in the bottom left corner that says "Warning: Ouput file will be resized from 3240 x 3840 (1.00 PAR) to 3240 x 2360 (0.97 PAR to meet format contrains.)

How can I render at H.264 and keep the resolution the same?

• 1. Re: After Effects Render H.264 Warning
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The MPEG-4/H.264 specification only allows for a few very specific frame sizes.

You should not be exporting to H.264 directly from After Effects. You should be using Adobe Media Encoder. The After Effects H.264 exporter is old, buggy, problematic, and generally inferior to the one in Adobe Media Encoder.

• 2. Re: After Effects Render H.264 Warning
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

What multimedia creation products do you have other than those made by Adobe?  Apple?  Sorenson?  Telestream?  Anything like that?

• 3. Re: After Effects Render H.264 Warning
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

3240 x 3840 exceeds the maximum data rate allowable by H.264 at Level 5.1. After Effects is resizing your rendered comp to fit it into the allowable size.

H.264 limits the frame size and the frame rate you can use. Higher levels allow higher limits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

You won't be able to create a video frame larger than 9,437,184 pixels (4096×2304 or another rectangle of equal area) with After Effects or Adobe Media Encoder. It's possible that another app may allow it, but there's no guarantee that such a file will play back correctly. I just skimmed the ITU-T H.264 white paper (see Appendix A.3), and there's not currently an allowance for higher levels in that format. It appears that H.265/HEVC allows higher levels.

You will need to use a different format. Are you sure that the playback device will accept a frame that large?

• 4. Re: After Effects Render H.264 Warning
                Creative5511 Level 1

All I have is Adobe products.

• 5. Re: After Effects Render H.264 Warning
                  Creative5511 Level 1

I tried to build it in flash as a .swf and export it into a .MOV file there but I received an error. So then tried to build in AE and yes it did playback with a frame that large. I only get the warning when I try to render at H.264.

So what is the best way to build/export to these specs? The client will only take H.264 MOV with the specs I listed above.

• 6. Re: After Effects Render H.264 Warning
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'd look on the Telestream web site: they make a VERY PRICEY transcoding application that can make just about anything.  They might have a user-to-user forum to double-check that it can do the job for you.

Those are weird delivery specs, but if you have to meet them, you have to.  It may cost you, but then you can bill the client for at least part of it, too.

• 7. Re: After Effects Render H.264 Warning
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

h.264 is very picky about frame sizes. Yours is not legal. There is no work around for this limitation except changing codecs.

Check with the folks supplying the playback system. Use their specifications. When I get a request for a project like this 90% of the time the client supplies the wrong information. Not a little wrong, but completely wrong. I fix it by determining what is required by talking to the folks the build the playback system.

• 8. Re: After Effects Render H.264 Warning
                        bogiesan Level 4

Rick Gerard wrote:

h.264 is very picky about frame sizes. Yours is not legal. There is no work around for this limitation except changing codecs.

Check with the folks supplying the playback system. Use their specifications. When I get a request for a project like this 90% of the time the client supplies the wrong information. Not a little wrong, but completely wrong. I fix it by determining what is required by talking to the folks the build the playback system.

Concur; H.264 does not sound like the correct file format for digital signage systems. If you can can determine the mfr, call them directly.

• 9. Re: After Effects Render H.264 Warning
                          A.I.1 Level 3

Tim Kurkoski wrote:

3240 x 3840 exceeds the maximum data rate allowable by H.264 at Level 5.1. After Effects is resizing your rendered comp to fit it into the allowable size.

H.264 limits the frame size and the frame rate you can use. Higher levels allow higher limits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

You won't be able to create a video frame larger than 9,437,184 pixels (4096×2304 or another rectangle of equal area) with After Effects or Adobe Media Encoder. It's possible that another app may allow it, but there's no guarantee that such a file will play back correctly. I just skimmed the ITU-T H.264 white paper (see Appendix A.3), and there's not currently an allowance for higher levels in that format. It appears that H.265/HEVC allows higher levels.

The limits in wikipedia are for macroblocks per second. In their example they're giving an example of 4,096×2,304@56.3 fps. At a frame rate lower than 56.3 fps (eg. 24 fps), the H264 spec should allow higher resolution. I don't think there's a specific limit to resolution for H264 itself - I think it's just in terms of data rate/macroblocks per second. Also YouTube has a 7680x4320 H264 video at almost 24 fps - so I don't know why After Effects limits H264 to 4K.

Also, it is possible in After Effects to create a higher than 4K realtime playable video - eg. 7680x4320 video if you select the quicktime codec and format options: mpeg4. You can also create a playable video of the resolution specified in the OP 3240 x 3840 with AE and quicklime, format: mpeg4. Isn't quicktime + mpeg4 basically the same codec as h264 (or have I got it wrong?) - there is a quicktime + format options: h264 but AE crashes with the res specified by op (if it's wxh).

• 10. Re: After Effects Render H.264 Warning
                            Ride-To-Heaven Level 1

I am having the same issues. this is what I think might work for me.  I am taking with the people who manage the CMS for the displays I hope to get a better understanding.

30DAE Day 23: Multi-Screen Projects in After Effects on Vimeo

Original Question :

Massive After Effect Composition