11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2014 10:24 PM by Steven L. Gotz RSS

Media Cache / Running out of space problem

lcagaiden Community Member

I'm working on a feature length project and i'm having a really annoying issue.  My project is on an external 3TB drive.  My media cache is also set to that same external hard drive.  My scratch disks are also set to that same drive.  I checked and rechecked it - it's all set as it should be.

Yet somehow, while editing, especially while rendering parts of the sequence, the space on my C drive (boot drive) fills up within minutes!

I tried to look through C drive to see if there's some hidden place Premiere saves some files too but i can't seem to find anything unusual.  Can someone please enlighten me on what is going on?!

• 1. Re: Media Cache / Running out of space problem
          JSS1138 Community Member

What files is it filling up with?

• 2. Re: Media Cache / Running out of space problem

actually, i wish i knew.  I can't seem to find what files or where they go or how they appear.  The other day the space on my C drive just dropped to 0, i got a few windows warnings popping up and then everything froze up on me as i was trying to figure out what the problem was...  After that i deleted nearly 7gb of files in the windows TEMP folder and after a computer restart, there was somehow 20gigs extra of empty space on that drive again...  I assume premiere created some files and after a restart deleted them...

• 3. Re: Media Cache / Running out of space problem
              JSS1138 Community Member

Not likely.

• 4. Re: Media Cache / Running out of space problem

well, im not making it up.  this problem happened more than a few times already...

• 5. Re: Media Cache / Running out of space problem
                  Steven L. Gotz Community Member

Where do you keep your Windows Paging file (pagefile.sys) and how big do you allow it to get?

I use a SSD for my C: drive so I moved the file to a 4GB RAID. I haven't even given a second thought to accidentally filling up my C: drive.

Of course, after just writing that I checked the drive and found about 7GB of Windows Update junk and cleaned it up.

• 6. Re: Media Cache / Running out of space problem
                    JSS1138 Community Member
                    well, im not making it up.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that.  I don't doubt your observation, I just question your conclusion on the cause.  PP doesn't go around deleting files on it's own.  The closest it comes is Preview files or Offline Media, but even they require specific user actions to occur, it doesn't just happen.

• 7. Re: Media Cache / Running out of space problem

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

Where do you keep your Windows Paging file (pagefile.sys) and how big do you allow it to get?

Sorry, i honestly don't know?  What is that file and how exactly would i "allow" it to get any specific size?  Need more info, please?

• 8. Re: Media Cache / Running out of space problem

Jim Simon wrote:

PP doesn't go around deleting files on it's own.  The clostest it comes is Preview files or Offline Media, but even they requrie specific user actions to occur, it doesn't just happen.

Yeah, this doesn't really make sense to me either...  but really i remember this happening a couple times even with older versions of premiere, on another computer... 

• 9. Re: Media Cache / Running out of space problem
                          JSS1138 Community Member

You're still associating the cause with PP, and I just don't believe that's very likely.  At least not the disappearing files part of it.  Any 'connection' with PP is likely more coincidental than causative.

To know for sure, you may need to find out what files are being created on the C: drive.

• 10. Re: Media Cache / Running out of space problem
                            jwffvm Community Member

I have run into this from time to time, where i have 1.5 TB of space on my system drive, yet receive an error that my system drive is full and the only think I an do is force quit the programs.  However once i force quit, I still have the space on my drive.  I generally restart and everything works fine.  It seems it's only on some projects.  I had a real problem in November on a one hour progam, when it was rendering mostly.  I have since cut 3 more hours and it seemed to go away, then I was pulling a bunch of clips for stock footage and received the error again.

I've been communicating with Apple since the problem began in November and their only solution is to replace my RAM, which doesn't really make sense to me, but their engineers claim I must have a bad stick of RAM and since it's not Apple RAM they cn't help.  Hmm?

Jim Watt

Mac Pro (Mid 2009)

2 x 2.93 GHz 6 core Intel Xeon

OSX 10.8.5

40 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Ram

Kona III video card

Quadro 4000 graphics card

Adobe CC 7.2

• 11. Re: Media Cache / Running out of space problem
                              Steven L. Gotz Community Member

If you don't know what a paging file is, then knowing where you put it is probably a moot point.

It is where Windows puts stuff temporarily when there isn't enough RAM to keep it all in memory.

Mine looks like this:

Capture.PNG

From the Conrol panel I selected System, then Advanced system settings, then on the Advanced tab, I selected the Settings button in the Performance area, then on the Advanced tab I clicked on the Chanhe button, and then found the one drive where I have the file.

Note that I do not let Windows manage it, and I don't let it grow and shrink. You probably do.