12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2014 2:40 PM by A.T. Romano

opening AVI, MOV

Fridutcha Level 1

AVI or MOV files cannot be opened in Adobe Premiere Elements 7. A codec needs to be installed. I am not very skilfull with computers. What should I do with this problem?

• 1. Re: opening AVI, MOV
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Both "AVI," "MOV" are but wrappers. It is what's inside those wrappers, that will tell the tale. See this FAQ Entry for more detail, and also instructions for determining what is inside the wrapper: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

If you would run those files through a file info utility, and let us know exactly which CODEC each uses, that will give us information on how you can address the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: opening AVI, MOV
            Fridutcha Level 1

Where do I need to put my Codec, if and when I have one? Where do I have to install it?

• 3. Re: opening AVI, MOV
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do not worry about WHERE until you answer Hunt's question about WHAT

Click the link he provided in reply #1 and do some reading... use the program(s) referenced inside that link to read your files and then report back with the details

Once you report back with details, someone will be able to help you

• 4. Re: opening AVI, MOV
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Fridutcha

Because of the nature of your question, I think that the quickest way to get the information needed to resolve the issue is:

Download and install the free utility named gspot

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

The dialog of the opened gspot utility should look like

gspotdescription.jpg

Either post a screenshot of what you see in that dialog for your specific video or post the important information in the Video and Audio sections of the dialog.

If any questions or need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

Please verify what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 10 is running on and what players are installed on your computer - latest version of QuickTime and Windows Media Player??

• 5. Re: opening AVI, MOV
                  whiplet

ok, I've got the same problem.  Thoughts?

• 6. Re: opening AVI, MOV
                    whiplet Level 1

also -- running P E v12 on Win 7

• 7. Re: opening AVI, MOV
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

whiplet

Very important information....

also -- running P E v12 on Win 7

icod video compression = an Apple Intermediate Codec which cannot be played back on Windows.

Convert the Apple Intermediate Codec icod.mov to H.264.mov. Do you have access to a Mac computer to do that?

ATR

• 8. Re: opening AVI, MOV
                        whiplet Level 1

I've got an iPhone....

• 9. Re: opening AVI, MOV
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

whiplet

You have at least one problem...the icod video compression.mov in a Windows operating system.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/466800-convert-icod-pc-friendly-codec.html

Are you telling me that the icod video came from that iPhone? If so, what model iPhone?

As I said, you want H.264.mov for Windows. Take the icod.mov to Mac device. Does your iPhone give you

alternative to recording icod.mov?

If you are working with iPhone video, the next problem is likely variable, rather than constant, frame rate.

That factor can cause at least two problems.

a. audio out of sync with video

b. not being able to import the cell phone video at all

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: opening AVI, MOV
                            whiplet Level 1

I didn't say I recorded it with an iPhone. It was recorded with a Canon camera, then uploaded into a Mac, then moved to a PC.

I don't understand the rest of your message.

• 11. Re: opening AVI, MOV
                              whiplet Level 1

Perhaps the easiest thing would be to get the original file off the camera chip.

• 12. Re: opening AVI, MOV
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

whiplet

In post 8, you wrote only

I've got an iPhone....

What was that supposed to be the answer to?

If you are not working with iPhone video, then you do not have to worry about iPhone video recorded with a variable frame rate. In those instances, the frame rate changes automatically typically with lighting conditions so, instead of the video being recorded at one fixed frame rate, like 29.97, the frame rate will vary during the course of the recording with minimum and maximum values.

Bottom line is that you have an Apple Intermediate Codec icod.mov which will not work on Windows. Are we OK on that detail?

If you can, go back to Mac computer and work with the file there.

What is the Canon model/settings for the original recording? Try to the H.264.mov, and make sure that you have the latest version of

QuickTime installed on your Windows computer along with Premiere Elements 12 Windows.

Please let us know if you are OK with the details. If not, I will clarify further.

Thanks.

ATR