11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 6:12 PM by W_J_T

Output Simulator 2.0

Gustavo Del Vechio Level 3

Hi friends

I'd like to show you a new version of one of my popular scripts: Output Simulator, now in version 2.0.

The idea of the script is to hide guides and contents outside artboards, so you have a better preview of the project. To develop this I was inspired by the Adobe InDesign's Preview Mode (when you press the "W" key on that application).

So I'd like to share this project with you. More infos and download: http://nucleodoillustrator.com/2014/02/10/introducing-output-simulator-2-0/

I've used Palette and BridgeTalk in order to create it, so it does not influence on the project's development. Tell me what do you think!

Gustavo.

antesScript.jpg

afterScript.jpg

• 1. Re: Output Simulator 2.0
          W_J_T Level 4

Looks very nice thanks for sharing Gustavo. I just wish the entire code was in English for easier review (ha, ha).    ;-)

The general concept kind of reminds me CarlosCanto's "Artboard Preview" script, as seen here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/897257

Again very nice job, keep up the good work Gustavo, thanks again for sharing.

• 2. Re: Output Simulator 2.0

Hi W_J_T

Thank you very much for testing the script!

Hope it works fine in your side.

Thank you

Gustavo.

• 3. Re: Output Simulator 2.0
              W_J_T Level 4

You're welcome, thank you Gustavo.

Please keep us updated on this, if there proves to be an actual issue that Cary was/is experiencing?

https://twitter.com/carycrusiau/status/433269080595111936

• 4. Re: Output Simulator 2.0

Hi W_J_T

Yes, in my side it's working right. Also, before posting, I've sent to some friends and they tested and told me it was working as expected.

But Cary is having an issue. I'll wait his e-mail so I can better investigate what happens.

Did you try the script? Worked?

Gustavo.

• 5. Re: Output Simulator 2.0
                  W_J_T Level 4

I hadn't yet tried it when I thanked you for sharing it, but I just tried it and it seemed to work fine for me in my quick test of it.

-----

[Q.] Do you know of any resources that could translate the code references to English? As stated above it would make it easier to review things and learn from it.

• 6. Re: Output Simulator 2.0

Hi W_J_T

Thank you for testing. Nice it's working for you.

Looks you answered yourself about the question of Folder.temp

About your other question, the english version of my script already has the strings translated to english. The things not translated is variable and function names, and some specific strings that acts like a keyword for comparision.

I think if you use the "Find and Replace" command in the ESTOOLKIT, you can translate easily this. Do you think it would help?

Best Regards

Gustavo.

• 7. Re: Output Simulator 2.0
                      W_J_T Level 4

Gustavo Del Vechio wrote:

About your other question, the english version of my script already has the strings translated to english. The things not translated is variable and function names, and some specific strings that acts like a keyword for comparision. I think if you use the "Find and Replace" command in the ESTOOLKIT, you can translate easily this. Do you think it would help?

Yes, I was already aware of what was English and what was not with in the code. ;-)

I just thought it would be nice if the "English" version was actually, well English. I am aware of the ability to use find and replace in about any common text editor, however the problem lies in unraveling the puzzle of translation (I already messed with it before asking here), most translators detect various languages or dialects, for example: Gallician, Portuguese, etc., likewise translators are never the best concerning code related translation as terms used may not be present or common in general language usage by comparison. Again I just thought it would be nice since you speak English (very well too) to then actually have the English version be, well English. It will probably never be a direct or clean comparison for someone doing it otherwise whom does not know or speak your language, and instead be more of a frustration than what its worth to do so. ;-)

• 8. Re: Output Simulator 2.0

Hi W_J_T

Thank you for the comment.

Unfortunatelly this would not be soo good in the workflow. My native language is Portuguese, so it's much better for me to write variables, function names and keywords in my language. It makes easy for me to read again the code and make changes. After perceiving the script works, I can just translate the interface strings in order to create versions to other languages. This is easy, it does not make any influence of the code itself.

For example, the version 1 of this script had german, french, english and portuguese versions. It would be a big time (and unecessary) translating also variable names, function names and so on for each language.

Of course, for purpose of publishing and sharing to developers like you (mainly thinking about a forum based in english), surelly a full english version would be better (also if you ask for help regarding problems in the code). The problem, however is time .

Best Regards

Gustavo

• 9. Re: Output Simulator 2.0
                          W_J_T Level 4

Gustavo Del Vechio wrote:

Of course, for purpose of publishing and sharing to developers like you (mainly thinking about a forum based in english), surelly a full english version would be better

Hi Gustavo, I certainly understand your point of view and work flow and you seem to understand my point as well concerning English, so I guess it just is what it is thanks anyways. I thank you for sharing your scripts, I just enjoy digging into things and learning. Generally when reviewing others scripts there are "ah ha moments" seeing how others approach things and generally there are aways little nuggets of goodness to be found and learn from. Anyway, keep up the good work. ;-) Sorry for so much conversation in your thread.

• 10. Re: Output Simulator 2.0
                            CarlosCanto Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm with Gustavo on this, I used to do the same thing, (write all my variables in Spanish), it was so much easier!!

now if Javascript itself was in Spanish it would have been so much better before, when I didn't know any English.

• 11. Re: Output Simulator 2.0
                              W_J_T Level 4

I am sure it's easier to do so in ones native language, but I am certainly glad you post and provide entire code in English CarlosCanto, I have learned a great deal from your codes and posts, many thanks.