7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2014 3:19 PM by Kawika808

PE12 - question about root directory files in DVD

Kawika808 Level 1

Hello,

I have produced a video for Amazon CreateSpace.

They require that the root directory contain nothing other than Audio_TS and Video_TS folders.  (They are unclear as to whether or not both are required, or simply that nothing in addition to these will be accepted.)

DVDs created using PE12 contain 2 folders in the root directory: OpenDVD and Video_TS.

I tried to move or delete the OpenDVD folder but got messages telling me that all administrators and/or "everyone" had to approve of this.  (I am the only owner and user of this laptop and I am already the administrator.)

My workaround was to copy the Video_TS folder to the desktop, then copy it onto a blank DVD.

Result: the DVD with only the Video_TS folder has full functionality.  The menu works perfectly, all FF, Reverse, Next, Previous and other functions are fine.  The audio is fine.

My questions are:

1. How to simply delete or move the OpenDVD folder, which appears to have no function.  My workaround is time-consuming.

2. Since the DVD plays perfectly without the Audio_TS folder, what is this folder for?  And why doesn't PE12 generate one?

• 1. Re: PE12 - question about root directory files in DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't delete or change ANYTHING once your DVD is created

Tell PrElements to write to a folder on your hard drive and delete the unneeded parts from there, then write to a DVD

If you have Windows, the great program Imgburn is used by many people for all DVD writing

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons

• 2. Re: PE12 - question about root directory files in DVD
            nealeh Level 5

I speculate that the AUDIO_TS folder was part of an early standards specification that never got ratified and may have been required by very early DVD players. Most commercial DVDs also have an empty AUDIO_TS folder.

[EDIT] A quick Google actually confirms that AUDIO_TS was added AFTER Video DVD standards were set and were intended for Audio DVD, once expected to replace Audio CD's - but it never happened.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PE12 - question about root directory files in DVD
              Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks, but the only options I see for writing to the hard drive are MP2, MP4, etc., which do not contain the menu required to navigate the final DVD.  And these are files, not folders, and thus have no unneeded parts.  The problem arises when writing to DVD.

My current procedure is to create the video in PE12, save as MP4, then open a new PE12 project, import the MP4, add a menu, and burn to DVD.  Generates very nice DVDs.

As stated, I have a work-around that works but is a bit time-consuming.

I looked into imgburn but it was too tied up with other programs and addons.  Also I have the menu completely done in PE12, it works well.

My only question is about the extra folder on the DVD.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: PE12 - question about root directory files in DVD
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

The AUDIO_TS folder (empty in DVD-Videos) is for DVD-Audio discs, which are still around, but not seen outside of the commercial audio industry. It is part of the DVD-specs., and WAS included in DVD-Videos, authored with many programs. For DVD-Videos, it is seldom seen any more.

The OpenDVD folder is something included by PrE (and a few other authoring programs, often with slightly different syntax), and is ignored by DVD players, both hardware and software (in most cases).

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE12 - question about root directory files in DVD
                  Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks, Neale & Bill,

My only reason, then, for removing the OpenDVD folder would be to keep CreateSpace happy.  (And maybe they will just ignore it.)

If I do need to remove the "OpenDVD" folder, any suggestions?  This is really just a curiosity question since my work-around proved effective (if time-consuming) and of course for the current project all I need to do is use my DVD copier to make any additional copies of the "Video_TS only" version.

• 6. Re: PE12 - question about root directory files in DVD
                    nealeh Level 5

Not quite sure what your export MP4 / import MP4 is all about. From your original project why aren't you just adding the menus and burning from there?

And for the Burn To Folder you should have this in PRE12, which will burn directly to your hard disk. Then deleting the OpenDVD Folder is the work of a moment.

1.png

For ImgBurn, which I highly recommend, the direct download link is http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe. Just make sure during installation that you always decline the other stuff it offers to install and you will end up with JUST ImgBurn.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 7. Re: PE12 - question about root directory files in DVD
                      Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks for the info.  I was thrown off since the choice is part of "Burn to disc."  I'll give it a try.

The reason I export MP4 is because that is the highest available quality and gives far better final results than down-sampling to SD, MP2, or other low-res format at this point.

The reason I don't add menu markers and menu in the initial project is because the PE12 project is already highly unstable due to large number of titles, stills, audio and video clips, transitions, etc., close to 300 items in all.*  (I am writing this just after yet another crash during export, which has wasted yet another hour, or close to it.)  Adding the menu at this point is asking for trouble that I don't need.  So I do everything else except the menu, export as MP4, and then import the MP4 into a new project to add the menu,

The reason I input MP4 is because that's what I exported in the pre-menu stage.  It's high quality.

*Doing a lot of titles and revising titles seems to be the main culprit.  I am now thinking of a workaround: do all the titles and their background, export as a separate file, then strip that back in and manipulate length as necessary.