9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 9:05 AM by Szalam

MooV error - please help!

LJO

I am working on an After Effects project which I received from Japan.  The original editor worked with a PC, and there is a good number of .avi files which I am having trouble with replacing.  I have taken the .avi files and converted them all to .mp4 (h.264) using a PC.  I used Adobe Media Encoder to convert.  When I went back to the AE project to replace the .AVIs with .MP4s I got this message in the picture below:

error.png

I tried converting a .mp4 file to .mov (Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)), but I still got this message.  I can upload the .mp4 files to the project if I just "import file" and not "replace file."  The .avi codec was Canopus HQ.  I need to keep this project the same, and can't just upload new .mp4, sine I don't know which parts of the .avi files were used.  Is there a solution so I can replace the .avi to .mp4 (or any other type that might work)

EDIT:

I have tried all of the suggestions from the link below, and updating QuickTime, but nothing is working:
      http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/08/solutions-for-problems-with-quicktime-files-in -after-effects-cc-12-0-because-of-conflict-with-dvcprohdvideoout-quicktime-component.html

Mac (computer with AE project)
      Operating System:  iMac 27", Late 2013, Mac OSX 10.9.1 (Mavericks)

Software:  Adobe After Effects CS5.5 v10.5.0.253
      Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5,
      Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
      Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT755M 1024 MB

PC (computer with Media Encoder conversions)

Operating System:  ZT Systems, Windows 7 Professional
      Software:  Adobe Media Encoder CS4 v4.0.0.374
      Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz 3.40 GHz
      RAM: 16.0 GB
      System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Other

External HD with AE Project:  Western Digital "My Book Essential", Capacity 3 TB, Format = Mac OS Extended (Journaled), USB 3.0    
      External HD with .avi and .mp4: (unsure what brand), Capacity 1 TB, Format = Windows NT Filesystem (Tuxera NTFS), USB 3.0
      External HD (unused, plugged into Mac):  Western Digital, Capacity 6 TB, Format = Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Thunderbolt

QuickTime Player v10.3 (727.1)

• 1. Re: MooV error - please help!
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, what kind of h.264? There are hundreds of types. If you used the QuickTime h.264 setup so the file is in a .mov container you're asking for trouble.

Second, h.264 is a lousy production codec most of the time. Try rendering as a jpeg compressed QuickTime or JPEG2000 if you need an alpha channel, or use another production codec.

• 2. Re: MooV error - please help!
            LJO Level 1

I'm not entirely sure what sort of H.264.  I took the original .avi files into Media Encoder, and listed "format" as H.264 so I could get a .mp4 file.  When that didn't work, I tried converting a .mp4 file to a Quicktime .mov (Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)) file, but still came up empty.

• 3. Re: MooV error - please help!
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You really shouldn't be using H.264's in After Effects when you have a higher quality version already available to you. H.264 is compressed. This means that you are losing image quality. Is there a reason you're trying to replace the incoming files with a lossy codec?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: MooV error - please help!
                LJO Level 1

I think we just wanted a smaller file size.  I wanted to replace .avi because I'm running After Effects on a Mac, and it wasn't reading the files.  Our first try at getting a readable file was to replace .avi with .mp4.  That didn't work, so I tried .mov, but I was still getting that above error.

• 5. Re: MooV error - please help!

It's odd that files you're creating in the Adobe Media Encoder are not being read by After Effects, even though they're different versions.

Does AE on the Mac not read the AVI's?

Unless you're running out of hard drive space, you shouldn't worry about the file size of the assets you're using in AE; it has no effect on the file size of your finished product.

If, however, you must make them smaller, I'd suggest using a better intermediate codec. One that doesn't lose data and one that AE finds easier to work with (it's very hard under the hood for AE to deal with codecs that use inter-frame compression). DNxHD and Cineform are both excellent codecs (free from Avid and GoPro respectively). They're not totally lossless, but they're visually lossless which is good enough for most work (and worlds better than H.264!)

If you don't want to go with a professional 3rd-party codec, try Quicktime with the PNG codec or, if you must go smaller, Quicktime with the Photo- JPEG codec.

Speaking of third-party codecs, you haven't installed any codec packs on your system, have you? I have sometimes seen some of them wreak havoc on professional video applications.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: MooV error - please help!
                    LJO Level 1

AE on this Mac doesn't read the AVIs.

I have only installed the codecs from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396, but I was already having these issues before that (Adobe suggested to download these for this problem).

EDIT:  I just tried the codecs you suggested, but my PC wouldn't open them.

I also want to clarify that these are all video files, and not still images.

• 7. Re: MooV error - please help!

I suggested that you install those codecs on both machines and use them as your intermediate codec.

We use Cineform where I work (on PCs) all the time. Something else is clearly wrong with your machine if you can't even install codecs on it.

• 8. Re: MooV error - please help!
                        LJO Level 1

Okay, I finally was able to get these videos to work!  One (or both) of these solutions got this project to work:  I emptied the cache for AE, and upgraded the Apple software on the PC.  I can use uncompressed .avi, .mov or mp4s now.   Thanks trying to help me out!

• 9. Re: MooV error - please help!

Glad you found a solution.