6 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2015 5:16 AM by A.T. Romano

Copying Text Fields

wsafren

I have altered two default  text fields and want to copy and paste them on several clips.  How do I do this and still be able to edit the text within each field without it changing the originally copied field?

• 1. Re: Copying Text Fields
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

While one can Copy & Paste Text to/from Titles, it is probably easiest to Duplicate the Title (this will give you two separate Titles, so that any changes do not migrate to the original Titles), then Select the Text in that Duplicate Title, replacing it with Text that you might have Copied, from say a Word document, or elsewhere.

Repeat, as needed.

For some of the aspects of the Titler, this Tips & Tricks article might be helpful, along with some of the linked tutorials: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5712712#5712712

Good luck, and if that does not help with what you wish to do, please let us know.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Copying Text Fields
            wcn_dave Level 1

How does one duplicate text?

I also find this very annoying, I get some text with just the font, and colours and fade in/outs that I need.  Then I copy and pasted it and changed them all, and found at the end that every one had the same text as the last one I did!

No other software would do that!

• 3. Re: Copying Text Fields
              P1965 Level 1

If you select the frame containing the text and then use copy / paste, it will create a copy of that frame in the timeline and any / all changes to it will affect the original, thus matching the copied version.  However, if you select the frame with the text you want to copy, then go to the adjustment panel on top right, you can then select the text box only, then paste that text box to another or new frame. This permits independent changes to the text in each of the frames.

Also, to 'duplicate' the frame (differs from copy), go to Project Assets, find the clip, right click and it's in the drop down menu.

• 4. Re: Copying Text Fields
                A.T. Romano Level 7

wcn_dave

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

For now, assuming Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, or 13/13.1 (Expert workspace) on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

The following would be my description of what you should be doing to avoid all your Titler files ending up with the same text.

1. You create a text title in the Titler from Text Menu/New Text/Default Text.

2. You close the Titler and find the text file automatically placed on the Timeline where the Timeline Indicator was placed.

3. Open Project Assets to find the thumbnail for that Timeline text file. Right click the thumbnail and select Duplicate. The key to the matter is that the "duplicate" will have a different file name than the original.

4. Drag the Duplicate to the Timeline, double click it to open the Titler, and edit the Duplicate. The original text file will not be affected.

The above can also be applied to Titles & Text offerings which are dragged to the Timeline from under the Titles & Text Tab at the bottom of the Expert workspace and edited in the opened Titler.

ATR

• 5. Re: Copying Text Fields
                  wcn_dave Level 1

I wrote a reply some time ago, however was timed out whilst writing so it never got posted.  How annoying.

Anyway, thanks for the tips people, that helped in that I can now do what I want.

It does seem extremely counter intuitive though that copy creates a duplicate, and duplicate creates an editable copy.

If you copy and paste in any other application, changing the pasted version does not change the source too...

However I am there now.

• 6. Re: Copying Text Fields
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

wcn_dave

Thanks for the update. Good news that you are OK with your Premiere Elements workflow.

Please do not hesitate to ask if any questions of the program's text or other features.

Best wishes

ATR