8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 5:29 PM by A.T. Romano

tina54

tina54

i have just stared using premiere elements for the first time. i brought a video clip in to organizer ok sound and picture, but when i took it in to edit i only have sound but no picture ? please help

• 1. Re: tina54
          A.T. Romano Level 7

tina54

Lots of questions, lots of details needed to help us help you.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

We need to know the properties of your video clip, such as, video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio. A rough way of getting that information is from knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera used to record the video. The most comprehensive way to do that is from a video audio properties readout program such as Media Info.

Some preliminary questions

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

2. How did you get your video into the Premiere Elements workspace

a. from the programs Add Media or Get Media

b. from the Elements Organizer "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor"

3. Try deleting your video from the Elements Organizer. Then import it into a new Premiere Elements project whose project preset has been set appropriately to match the properties of your video. Does the video import video and audio?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on your answers.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions and to ask for clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: tina54
            tina54 Level 1

thank you for your reply. i have premiere elements 12, working on windows xp. i think i have the latested version of quicktime. i brought the video cip in through import and then deleted the clips in organizer and tried by get photos and videos.

video cip is pal. soroy but i am not sure about ant thing else. thanks

• 3. Re: tina54
              A.T. Romano Level 7

tina54

We are going to need to the properties of what is not being imported.

If it is videos, do you know the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded that video?

What is the file extension of the file.....mov, .mp4, .avi, .wmv, flv, other?

Those are the quick ways to get some information.

If that does not work, then we are going to have to go to one of the free video properties readout programs, such as MediaInfo.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Be careful with downloads and installs so that you do not get unwanted programs and toolbars along with the wanted program.

Where on your computer do your have your videos and photos saved?

Please try again

a. Open Premiere Elements 12 to its Expert workspace. Let the program set the project preset.

b. Then, Add Media, Files and Folders and navigate to where you have your videos and photos. Select a video, and click Open in the Add Media dialog in order to bring the file into Project Assets.

c. Does the video import, video and audio portions?

d. Repeat "b" but this time select a photo to bring into the project.

e. Does the photo import?

Please keep away from the Elements Organizer 12 for now. Our focus will be on the Premiere Elements 12 and media obtained from the hard drive save location.

Please check out the above and then we will decide where we are in the troubleshooting planning.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: tina54
                tina54 Level 1

Premiere 12, xp prof, video avi,quick time ok, Before moving the video from organizer picture and sound ok, When in edit sound ok but no picture ? The project preset did not come up when moving over to edit ?

Thank you for your help, Mr Romano and Mr Grisetti

• 5. Re: tina54
                  tina54 Level 1

Sorry forgot the photo opens up ok in edit. thanks

• 6. Re: tina54
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVI is a wrapper... what is inside your wrapper?

Codec & Format information, read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to find file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 7. Re: tina54
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

tina54

Thanks for the information. We have a few more pieces of the information to put together.

You have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows XP (presumed 32 bit system).

At the start you said....

You have a video file with the file extension .avi that is importing into Premiere Elements workspace with sound and no video. So far, is that correct?

If so, I do not understand your post

Sorry forgot the photo opens up ok in edit. thanks

Are you saying that you have the sound part but not the picture part for a video file, but a still photo works OK? Or something else?

If we are just talking about missing picture part of a video file, then the next step is to find out what kind of .avi file you have? There are a lot of kinds of .avi files. That .avi is just a wrapper for the file's video compression and audio compression. And an .avi file can a different video compression, one from the other.

We could ask you to download and install video properties reading program such as MediaInfo, but let us first see if we can get the information needed in a way easier for you.

What specific brand/model camera did that .avi video come from? And do you recall the settings that you set on that camera for the recording of the video?

Please supply as much information as you can to help us help you. If you need clarification on anything, please ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: tina54
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

tina54

I did not see John's post until after I had posted mine. I would still like to avoid having you download video properties readout programs if we can to make it easier for you.

I am hoping you have the brand/model/settings of your camera information there within easy reach for you.

Thanks.

ATR