2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2006 2:02 PM by TucsonJava

Performance problem with Flex Builder 2 beta3

jackgreen
      I am a newbie to Flex Builder 2 beta3, just installed it last night. When I tried to make some dummy applications, my Flex Builder IDE froze for many times and my machine even died. I checked the memory consumption and JVM is using 350MB memory, it is unbelievable. Anyone has had similar problems before and is there anyway to optimize the Flex Builder performance?

I am using the standalone installation of Flex Builder, BTW. Will the plugin installation work better? Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Performance problem with Flex Builder 2 beta3
          Level 7
          Hi jackgreen,

> I am a newbie to Flex Builder 2 beta3, just installed it last night. When I
          > tried to make some dummy applications, my Flex Builder IDE froze for many times
          > and my machine even died. I checked the memory consumption and JVM is using
          > 350MB memory, it is unbelievable. Anyone has had similar problems before and is
          > there anyway to optimize the Flex Builder performance?

Sorry you're running into problems. We've made quite a few improvements
          to memory usage since beta 3, so the released version should be better.
          In the meantime, here are a couple of things you can do to reduce
          memory usage:

-- Close projects you're not using--to do this, right-click on a project
          in the Navigator and choose "Close Project".

-- If you have a lot of editors open, close editors for MXML files that
          are either currently in design view, or in which you've switched to
          design view and then back to code. In beta 3, the design view for an
          editor still uses memory even if you switch back to code view. We've
          improved this since beta 3 to be better about releasing memory for
          unused design views.

By the way, we recommend 1GB of memory for running Flex Builder (512MB
          is the minimum).

Hope this helps.

--
          nj
          Flex Builder team
          • 2. Re: Performance problem with Flex Builder 2 beta3
            TucsonJava Level 1
            I just wanted to add I have run into the same problem as jackgreen. I am using the plugin with an existing version of Eclipse. All projects are closed other than the flex project I am working on. I have 5 mxml files open and was trying to modify one in the code view by adding a custom component. (and yes I did have 4 of the files opened in Design mode earlier). The JVM is using around 370mb and 50% of the cpu. This has been going on for about 10 minutes rendering Eclipse unusable. I have 1GB of memory on a 3GHz windows machine.

I just hope you (Adobe development team) put some more time into researching this before coming out with a production version, as it could cause a lot of frustration among flex developers. BTW, FlexBuilder really is an exception product, this issue not withstanding.