4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 5:25 AM by james_dean1986

Positioning a text box within a text box

james_dean1986 Level 1

I need to position some shaded text boxes within columns of normal text that all flow over approximately 30 pages. This is so that whenever I make text edits in the columns I dont have to manually go through and reposition the coloured boxed.

The method im using at the moment is to simply cut and paste the text box into the columns so that if I add or remove a line, the box moves with the rest of the text.

However the issue I'm having is the internal text box overlaps the normal text unless i hit return 10-15 depending on how big the box is.

Is there anyway to avoid this?

Hope ive explained it ok.

CS5.5, Windows 7.

• 1. Re: Positioning a text box within a text box
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Add text wrap to your anchored frames.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Positioning a text box within a text box
            james_dean1986 Level 1

Thanks Peter

That was my initial thought when I created it this morning but regardles of which frame I add the text wrap to or what text wrap syle I use,  it does not seem to make a difference.

• 3. Re: Positioning a text box within a text box
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, here's how text wrap works with anchored objects:

For inline and above line frames (the kind you get when you cut and paste directly into the flow of text), wrap applied to the pasted frame affects text from the point where you paste onward.

For custom postioned frames (the kind you get when dragging the square on the frame edge into the text, or by changing the type on an inline) that can be postioned anywhere on the page, but still move with the text, wrap applied to the anchored frame only affects text in lines following the line that has the anchor point.

Text wrap on an anchoed object never affects text in lines before the anchor. Can you show us a screen shot of the problem? I suspect you are using inlines and you need to change the way you have leading applied to the paragraph in order to push the anchored frame down.

• 4. Re: Positioning a text box within a text box
                james_dean1986 Level 1

Peter, you have done it again!

After 10 years of using Indesign on a daily basis I just found a menu I didnt know existed - the Anchored Object Options.

Not sure how I have never come across this menu before but exlporing the options in that menu seems to have solved my issues.

Thank you.