9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 7:34 AM by Laubender

64 bit

copyitltd@att.net

How do I find out if I am running CS6 InDesign 64 bit?

• 1. Re: 64 bit
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

CS6 was not avialble as 64-bit.

• 2. Re: 64 bit
            copyitltd@att.net Level 1

Is InDesign CC 64 bit -- and would it make a difference in a 1,000 page book with graphics, footnotes, and index?

• 3. Re: 64 bit

Yes, and maybe. There are plenty of users who find CC faster than CS6, and there are a couple of pretty long threads here about slow performance.

• 4. Re: 64 bit

I have been putting together this 1,000 page book since August. When the size with links reached 60MB ID started to crash. So I upgraded my RAM and computer. Now back at the job It is still crashing and my IT technician questions if it is because the program should be 64 bit? I am a Cloud member and noticed that the other programs Photoshop, and Bridge are 64 bit. What would an upgrade to ID CC do to my project?

• 5. Re: 64 bit
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you’re already a CC subscriber, download and install InDesign CC and open a COPY of your document and find yourself.

That said, while I don’t work on long documents myself, I would have broken that up into smaller pieces and used the book panel to manage it.

• 6. Re: 64 bit

I had read that the booking abilities of ID were not as good as Pagemaker. I used Pagemaker for about 15 years and always broke up the chapters. Does anyone have feedback about the booking abilities of ID CC?

• 7. Re: 64 bit
                      Javed_ali Adobe Employee

A program being 64 Bit or 32 Bit has bussiness to do with the amount of RAM it can access. If a program is 32 bit it can access a maimum of around 4 GB of RAM and if its 64 BIT it can do around 16.8 million terabytes of memory (theoretically) so if your program uses a lot of memory (a case for long documents) then having a 64 bit program is of benefit and will make the program work faster.

In either case 32 or 63 Bit InDesign should not crash for any number of pages.

I would sugegst that you upgrade to 64 bit InDesign (its available with the CC Subscription), you are a cloud member so this should not even cost you anything.

And also log a bug for the crash in CS6, please try to attach the document along with the bug description as having the Bug file helps in reporducing the issue easily.

Thanks

Javed

• 8. Re: 64 bit

I've not used the book feature in CC, but I have in other versions of ID without a problem. The only issues I'm aware of with Books are with inter-document cross-references, which can be buggy.

60 mb for an ID file seems large, even for 1000 pages. Are there a lot of native vector objects or pasted graphics? How often do you Save As to remove the old change info that accumulates with a regular save and becomes useless file bloat when the doc is closed? Have you tried exporting the currint file to .idml, then opening that and continuing? See Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 9. Re: 64 bit
                          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Peter – just to give you an idea what I am currently working on:

A 280 MByte document with 600 pages, 1300 tables and 1400 images placed.

No crash. A bit slow sometimes, yes, but no crash.

It's not so much the amount of images that are adding up to that size. It's more the number of tables. Without placed images the document is about 100 MByte. "Saved As" was done several times, of course.

All InDesign CS5.5. 32Bit.

Uwe