5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 8:24 AM by big_smile

Preparing a document for American print sizes

big_smile Level 1

I am a UK based designer and I have to prepare a book for printing by an American company.

This is the specification I have been given by the US company:

8.5 X 11 Casebound

COVER: 12.5” Height by 18.75”

Internal File should be

11.25” Height by 8.75”

I don't understand. The finished size is 8.5 height x 11 width. So the print size is 12.5 height by 18.75 height.

This means the cover will have 4 x 7.75 bleed, which seems exesive.

The internal print size seems to be smaller than the finished size (in the width at least).

Can anyone explain this? I'd ask the printing company, but they are a way and I thought I would ask here first to avoid embarrsssing myself in case I am missing something obvious.

In the UK, bleed sizes are usually just 6mm bigger than the finished size (to give 3mm bleed all around the document).

• 1. Re: Preparing a document for American print sizes
          MW Design Level 4

This is a binder job? As in ring binders (like a 3 or more ring binder)?

If so, the cover slips into the case's plastic cover and fully wraps across the front, the spine and the back. The binder is far larger than the interior pages.

The interior pages are standard US Letter size with a bleed of .125" all-round, hence the 0.25" total extra space in both dimensions.

Take care, Mike

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Preparing a document for American print sizes
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Casebound is hard-cover, so the cover sheet wraps around the boards. You should be setting it up so the "image area" of the front and back are 8.5 x 11 (if it's really 8.5 x 11 which is hard to tell since they want 8.75  and 11.25 for the internal width), with the rest devoted to wrap and spine. The boards will actually be a little larger, but you really do need a lot of paper for the wrap-around.

The internal dimensions actually look like they include a 1/8" bleed all around, so you might want to get some clarification from the printer as to wheter they expect you te set up as 8.5 x11 with .125 bleeds, or the specified dimensions with no bleed.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Preparing a document for American print sizes
              big_smile Level 1

Thanks for the help!

The product is a hardback book (not a ring binder).

For a US product, would you normally have extra bleed on top of these sizes.

Also, in the UK cover sizes tend to be expressed as the whole size of the cover (e.g. front and back). However, 8.5 x 11 is approx the size of an A4 page. So I am guessing the cover would actually be 12.5 x 37.5 cut down to 8.5 x 22.

Is that correct? It seems too big.

• 4. Re: Preparing a document for American print sizes
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Actually, the cover dimension they've supplied looks like it needs to have the width increased to include the spine when that value is known. Right now it's two 8.5 x 11 panels (front and back cover) with .75 fold allowance.

If I have ANY question about what the printer wants (and I certainly would here), I get on the phone and I talk to somebody in prepress, if I can, rather than in sales at the printer.

• 5. Re: Preparing a document for American print sizes
                  big_smile Level 1

Yes, I think I will check with the printer. Thanks!