6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 6:55 AM by MSW1966

Premiere Elements 12 Crashes on Mac

MSW1966

I have a fairly new Mac with the latest Maverick updates. Premiere Elements 12 crashes randomly when I am working and loses everything. It even loses files from the folder where imported media is stored. It loses saved work as well. I have no idea what to do but I need help fast. And I have tried the uninstall and start over stuff as well as rebooting my computer many times. It doesn't help.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Crashes on Mac
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Did you use Premiere Elements' Add Media tools to get the video from the camcorder to your computer?

When you add your video to your timeline in Expert view, do you see a yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline above the clips?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Crashes on Mac
            MSW1966 Level 1

Hi Steve -

The movie file is MPEG4 1920 X 1080 in HD of course. I always import the files from memory card to a folder on my computer then pull them from the folder into Elements. I do this with the Add Media option. The orange bar is there in expert mode. I am no expert with Elements but I am pretty good with video. I have used about all of them in the past.

Thanks,

Michael

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Crashes on Mac

The orange bar indicates that your project settings are not properly matched to your video.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what is it? MOV, M2TS, etc.?

What are your project settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Crashes on Mac
                MSW1966 Level 1

It is a Canon Vixia HFR400 camcorder. The file is MVI. The kind is MPEG-4 Movie. I took all of that from the file information. I'll have to read up on the project settings. I don't see a way to change anything on the video clips I import. It does say DSLR in the editing mode box. That seems odd.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Crashes on Mac

If you use Premiere Elements' Add Media tools to get the video from your Canon camcorder, the video files should come into the program as .mts files and the program will automatically set up your project based on the specs for this video. (Assuming your video is 1920x1080 or 1440x1080 and that one of these clips if the first clip on your timeline.)

I'm not sure how you're getting .mvi files, but if you load .mts files into the program, they will work.

Open a new project and try using Add Media/From Flip and Camera to get the video from your camcorder to your computer, then add one of these clips to your timeline. In Expert view, you should NOT see a yellow orange line along the top of the timeline, above the clip.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Crashes on Mac
                    MSW1966 Level 1

Last night, for the first time I was able to use the program to edit a full video. I opened it again using Command / Control / Shift. I also had a specific folder setup for the source files to be imported and a folder to export the finished video to. The orange line stayed on the clips but it worked anyways. I really don't know how I got there but hopefully it keeps working.