6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 9:17 AM by A.T. Romano

Graphics become blurry and quality compromised after rendering

Pina2pina

Why do my PNGs -- which are beautiful and crisp -- all go fuzzy (as well as the video even looks less crisp) after I render?  If I remove one of the graphics, it sometimes corrects it.  I've tried re-importing the pNGs...

Seems related to anything that goes the length of the video (my logo)...or a matte behind the green screen video.

Help please.  This is a new problem, and wonder if I've messed with the settings or something without realizing it.

Thanks!

Pina

• 1. Re: Graphics become blurry and quality compromised after rendering
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pina2pina

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system is Premiere Elements working?

What are the properties of your source media? Especially what are the pixel dimensions of those .png files and what program generated them? And, what are the properties of the video (video and audio compressions, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio?

When you talked by rendering, are you talking about rendering as in rendering the Timeline content to get the best possible preview or in rendering/exporting to get your end product?

a. If rendering to get best possible preview, what effects have you applied to the Timeline content?

b.If exporting to get end product, what are all you export choices, included export settings under Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset selected?

Please review the above and then we can discuss what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Graphics become blurry and quality compromised after rendering
            Pina2pina Level 1

Thanks for a quick reply and addressing of my problem!

1.  Premier Elements 11

2.  Photoshop Elements 11 is the source.  They were created as PSDs and I saved as PNGS.  I've tried both interlaced and not, doesnt' make a diff. I'm using PNGs because I need background cut out.

Info on graphic that seems to be causing the problem (when I delete it, the problem is reversed, at least in the area of timeline where it was):

Original Canvas size:  1441 x 1080 pixels, size:  20.014 inches x 15 inches.  72 ppi, bicubic, Pixel dimensions:  4.45.

To make the png I crop the above image showing exactly what I need.

Those Properties:

Pixel diemsnions 134.8k, 422 x 109, 5.8 inches by 1.4 inches 72 ppi.

DId I leave anything out that you need?

3.  Video propertiess:  1440 x 1080,  29.97fps, Pixel aspect ratio HD 1080 anamorphic, Render File Format:  I-frame only MPEG, Compression:  MPEG I-Frame, Render has OPTIMIZE STILLS checked.

I don't know about audio, tho that's not causing me problems.  Please advise where I'd find compressions, etc.  Didn't find it.

4, Rendering -- I click render and all the orange bar progressively grows green and most of the graphics get pixelated as a result.  If I delet one graphic it might restore the section that the one graphic covered on timeline.  Often it's one particular graphic, which I have reimported several times.  I've tried checking off SCALE TO FRAME SIZE on the right click and that doesn't help.  Though it reveals that the image is smaller than it appears when brought into the frame.

a.  I don't know how to apply effects to timeline content (unless you mean transitions, keying and fill from left...those are the 3 I've applied to video.)

b.  havent' gotten that far, the quality is so bad I'm not exporting yet.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Graphics become blurry and quality compromised after rendering
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pina2pina

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that you have an image 1440 x 1080 (4:3) created in Photoshop Elements 11 and saved as png. How are you saving this png, File Menu/Save As or in Save for Web and one of the png choices there? I am not clear on why you are selecting the png instead of the psd. You say that you are using pngs because you need background cut.

a. Why not just create an object with a transparent background in Photoshop Elements 11 and import that into Premiere Elements 11? The .psd file should maintain the transparency when you import the file into Premiere Elements. Why are you waiting for Premiere Elements to remove a background?

b. Besides these 1440 x 1080 images what else is going on the Premiere Elements 11 Timeline? I ask because I am wondering about your project settings. So details of what is going on the Timeline, besides the png files, will help us sort that out.

c. What is your plan for exporting your Timeline content once it is edited and ready for export, that is, how do you want to view it, computer file or burn to disc?

We will be watching for further details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Graphics become blurry and quality compromised after rendering
                Pina2pina Level 1

Thanks!

I've gone into projects I was working on before this prob started. I learned that when I render these other videos ( which started with clear images and a solid orange bar) the problem occurs. These have been rendered during editing before so I wonder if I messed with render settings.

Also, I'm having someone work remotely they team viewer to help me with editing. Wonder if that's causing a problem.

What should my render settings be set to?

To your point about pngs:

I tried opening a new project and importing just the graphic in question. I followed your suggestion of importing a psd. Problem persists even when it is the only thing on the timeline ( plus a matte so that I can see the edges. )

I also tried save as png and save for web with a png 24 setting. Problem persists.

This will be streamed online via YouTube or similar for an online curriculum we are creating and selling by subscription.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone with tiny keyboard...so excuse typos and short messages please!

• 5. Re: Graphics become blurry and quality compromised after rendering
                  Pina2pina Level 1

Another detail:  when importing some graphics I get the question DO YOU WANT THIS IMAGE IMPROVED (something like that). A YES gets me a blurry image. A NO keeps it crisp. It doesn't always happen.

Www.singalingo.com

[Personal info removed for privacy - Hunt]

Sent from my iPhone with tiny keyboard...so excuse typos and short messages please!

• 6. Re: Graphics become blurry and quality compromised after rendering
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Pina2pina

Please remove your telephone number as soon as possible to avoid nuisances. That may not be possible on your side. I will try to get a moderator to do that for you.

Smart Fix Messages

For now, when you import a file into Premiere Elements Timeline and get the Smart Fix message

a. Put a check mark next to "do not show this message again" and click No.

Whatever "fixing" needs to be done, we will do that ourselves. If you ever want to see that type of message again, you can go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and set the preference to show that type of message.

b. Before all else, we need to have project settings consistent with the properties of what you are putting on that Timeline. The project preset selected needs to match the properties of the source media. If you have more than one format in the Timeline, then you need to set your priorities since Premiere Elements allows for only one project preset.

Project Preset

Until the problems are defined and resolved, set the project preset manually. To do that, File Menu/New/Project, set the project preset to match your primary format, select "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project", exit the area. Then back in the edit workspace, import your files with Add Media/Files and Folders.

a. It is essential that you know the properties of what is going on that Timeline...video (video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced and progressive, file extension, and pixel aspect ratio), stills (pixel dimensions...for video it is the pixel dimensions that are important and which apply to the considerations), other...

You can get property information by knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera used to record the videos and/or stills or by getting properties readouts from free programs like MediaInfo or gspot

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

PNG Matter

We will be better able to advance on those issues once we know that the project is set up optimally.

Please review, try these on your own, seek assistance with your associate if you have an arrangement in progress, and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR