11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 11:37 AM by Szalam

Why doesn't my rendered video have audio until about halfway through?

IAVI Design

I've got an audio track in mp3 and a video in my composition. The mp3 plays fine in RAM preview. When I render it the resulting file is mute until about halfway through the video when the audio suddenly starts playing as if it were there the whole time. Everything is in sync. It's just mute for the first half or so of the video.

Has anyone had this happen before?

• 1. Re: Why doesn't my rendered video have audio until about halfway through?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You haven't provided enough detail for us to do any troubleshooting, so we're going to have to either wait for more info from you or for anyone else who's had this happen before.

If you do want to give us info, exact point number of your AE install would be helpful (i.e. 11.0.4, 12.2.0, 10.5.1), as would info on your comp settings, render settings, computer specs, etc.

• 2. Re: Why doesn't my rendered video have audio until about halfway through?
            IAVI Design Level 1

Windows 8.1 64-bit

After Effects CC Version 12.2.0.52

Composition Settings

Preset: HDV/HDTV 720 29.97

1280x720px, Locked Aspect Ratio to 16:9 (1.78)

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels

Frame Rate: 29.97

Exported my composition to Adobe Media Encoder.

Export Audio and Export Video are both checked.

Format: H.264

Everything else was pretty much left alone.

Audio Bitrate at 320.

Audio format at AAC

Sample Rate at 48000 Hz

Channels: Mono

Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5cW62115Aw

• The audio begins around the 20 minute mark. Nothing but silence before that.
            • Audio works flawlessly in the RAM Preview in After Effects prior to exporting to Adobe Media Encoder.
            • I've exported the file several times and I get the same result each time.
            • 3. Re: Why doesn't my rendered video have audio until about halfway through?

Try rendering from AE into a lossless file format and see if it does the same thing. If it works, then you can use that lossless file in the Adobe Media Encoder to make your final h.264 deliverable. That's my preferred workflow anyway.

• 4. Re: Why doesn't my rendered video have audio until about halfway through?
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

I don't trust mp3 files for any kind of After Effects work: AE doesn't take kindly to compressed audio.  From a different application, export the mp3 as a wav or aiff file.  Import it into AE.  Use the Replace Footage command to make it take the place of the mp3 in your comp.  See what happens... although in this case I guess it would be, "listen to what happens".

• 5. Re: Why doesn't my rendered video have audio until about halfway through?
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Dave said, never trust MP3. Even after a decade AE is unreliable in that department, even more so if the MP3 file may be "special", that is have metadata, variable bit rates or be a surround-encoded file. Some of that stuff may work fine during RAM preview when AE passes the audio to the system's audio device and lets it handle the specifics, but in AE itself not so much when rendering. Convert it to a WAV in Audition or whatever you have at hand. It's safer.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Why doesn't my rendered video have audio until about halfway through?
                    IAVI Design Level 1

I took Szalam's advice and rendered it with AE instead of Adobe Media Encoder. Despite the fact that I set the quality to 4 out of 100, the .mov it produced was over 2gigs. However, the good news is that the audio worked this time. The .mp3 worked fine with this method.

Using a .wav when rendering straight to Adobe Media Encoder didn't change a thing, still missing audio in the first 20 minutes. I'll make it a point to use .wav in the future just in case. But for my issue it wasn't a factor.

Of course that still leaves me wondering why Adobe Media Encoder isn't rendering the audio in my video properly. Still no answer for that.

And on top of that, I have a very huge issue. Szalam suggested I render it with just AE to get it to work. Yay it works this way! But the final output is going to be 248GB. 248GB. It's an hour long video at 1280x720. Are you kidding me?

I'm still fairly new to video editing. So excuse me if this is actually normal.

• 7. Re: Why doesn't my rendered video have audio until about halfway through?
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

But the final output is going to be 248GB. 248GB. It's an hour long video at 1280x720. Are you kidding me?

Yeah, you probably rendered to a lossless codec, so it's normal.  NOW: what type of file are you supposed to be delivering?  We have no clue about that.

Never mind that I'm still scratching my head over the need for an hour-long file.  AE's built to work on effects shots: shots here and there.  The only reason for an hour-long file would be for color grading... is that what you're doing?

• 8. Re: Why doesn't my rendered video have audio until about halfway through?

IAVI Design wrote:

Despite the fact that I set the quality to 4 out of 100, the .mov it produced was over 2gigs.

The quality level really doesn't effect the data rate (although that depends on which codec you used).

I'd suggest you get the Cineform codec from GoPro or the DNxHD coded from Avid. They're visually lossless, but have significantly smaller file sizes than many other lossless formats.

IAVI Design wrote:

248GB. It's an hour long video at 1280x720. Are you kidding me?

Uncompressed HD video (even if it's only sort-of HD at 720) is very large when you compare it to the extremely compressed video that consumer and prosumer video cameras capture in. This is normal if you're using an uncompressed codec.

Render an hour-long video out of AE is not normal though, as Dave mentions.

• 9. Re: Why doesn't my rendered video have audio until about halfway through?
                          IAVI Design Level 1

Again, new to video in general. But to be honest with you, I probably shouldn't be in After Effects, should I? Premiere Pro is probably the right place to do this? And by this, I mean I'm syncing a 55 minute audio track with its video track. And I'm inserting a short 16 second intro clip in right before it.

The video itself is just a recording of an online webinar. I started out needing to simply append our introduction clip to the beginning. I quickly found out that After Effects didn't care for what my video thought it's framerate was. So I had to Interpret the footage and set a new framerate. Which led to the audio being out of sync with the video. Which led me to separating the two so that I could more easily match them up (they were previously together in one file).

My output needs to be 1280x720. And I'm just uploading it to YouTube. That's it. Nothing crazy!

• 10. Re: Why doesn't my rendered video have audio until about halfway through?
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

I probably shouldn't be in After Effects, should I? Premiere Pro is probably the right place to do this? And by this, I mean I'm syncing a 55 minute audio track with its video track. And I'm inserting a short 16 second intro clip in right before it.

Oh, Absolutely!  You chose the wrong tool for the job!  You should be doing this stuff in Premiere.  Once you do, life gets a lot easier.

• 11. Re: Why doesn't my rendered video have audio until about halfway through?

IAVI Design wrote:

Premiere Pro is probably the right place to do this? And by this, I mean I'm syncing a 55 minute audio track with its video track. And I'm inserting a short 16 second intro clip in right before it.

Yup - this is definitely a job for Premiere. I don't even use AE to do audio work when my project is created entirely in AE. I render a lossless file out of AE and then use Premiere to add the audio.