1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 2:32 PM by the_wine_snob

Are my laptop specs adequate for PRE 12?

LB2258

I naively purchased a new laptop thinking it would be adequate for video editing in PRE12, but the playback is very low quality and/or choppy and seems like my laptop cannot handle it.

Workflow:

I am trying to edit footage from a GoPro Hero 2 and 3 Black cameras. I tested out a few clips shot at 720p, 60fps (from the Hero 2) and converted them into AVI files through GoPro studio 2.0. I tried both the source fps and also dropping them to 30fps but both resulted in low quality playback once in PRE12.

My laptop specifications are as follows:

Inspiron 17 Touch 7000-series

Windows 8 64bit,

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.6 GHz)

1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

6GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx1 + 2GBx1)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M 2GB DDR5

I understand the 5400rpm hard drive may be an issue and possibly the 6gb of RAM but I thought at worst they would just slow down the rendering time.

Is there no possible way to edit effectively on PRE12 on this laptop? Are there any ways round this?

Thanks

Leo

• 1. Re: Are my laptop specs adequate for PRE 12?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Leo,

The 5400 RPM HDD will be a bottleneck, and probably more so, than the installed RAM. While more RAM might benefit you in other areas, like multi-tasking, I do not think you would see any improvement in playback.

The i5 is a bit on the low side, but many users are able to edit even AVCHD footage with them.

Though this is usually not possible with a laptop, a better I/O (input/Output) arrangement would be 2 physical 7200 RPM HDD's, or even better, a recent generation SSD (OS, programs and Page File), and a 7200 RPM (or a larger SSD) HDD for Project, media and Scratch Disks. My laptop has one large SSD, and 2 1TB 7200 RPM HDD's, in SATA III. However, it is heavy, and goes through the battery quickly, but I use it on AC mains, so that is not a big deal.

Good luck,

Hunt