6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2006 6:59 AM by Newsgroup_User

HELP WITH MODIFICATIONS

BW1025
      Hi I need help in punching a design from a pic or pic from design............. Anyhoo when iI make a design then place a picture on top of that design and select modify > combine paths>punch........I get an error message saying two or more paths have to be selected?? I thought I was selecting two or more paths???
      Thanks for any help, bw1025
        • 1. Re: HELP WITH MODIFICATIONS
          Level 7
          BW1025 wrote:
          > Hi I need help in punching a design from a pic or pic from
          > design............. Anyhoo when iI make a design then place a picture on top of
          > that design and select modify > combine paths>punch........I get an error
          > message saying two or more paths have to be selected?? I thought I was
          > selecting two or more paths???

You can only punch paths (vectors), not bitmaps. The only exception is
          if you use the bitmap as a pattern fill for a vector object.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: HELP WITH MODIFICATIONS
            BW1025 Level 1
            Thanks,Uh how would I do that? My objective is to get a picture inside of a created shape. Is ther a better way to do this in Photo shop maybe? I have done this before but I can not remember how I did it
            Thanks again for your help
            • 3. Re: HELP WITH MODIFICATIONS
              Level 7
              Create two vectors and punch them to create exactly the shape you want.
              Position the photo over it and cut it. Choose Edit > Paste Inside. Now
              your picture is inside a created shape. -- Tony

"BW1025" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:e7sjv3$b0h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks,Uh how would I do that? My objective is to get a picture inside of
              > a
              > created shape. Is ther a better way to do this in Photo shop maybe? I have
              > done
              > this before but I can not remember how I did it
              > Thanks again for your help
              >

• 4. Re: HELP WITH MODIFICATIONS
                ageofem Level 1
                first , you cannot use an object ( a circle ) to punch a jpeg. You can only punch other vector objects. For example, you select 2 objects together, a rectangle and a circle , there you could apply the technique. Sometimes, when you use the rectangle tool, like creating a rectangle, you have to ungroup it first , before it becomes "punchable". If you want to punch jpegs/bitmaps , use the marquee tool. In fireworks 8 , it allows you to convert your paths to marquee, or marquee to paths which allows a similar effect to using punch
                • 5. Re: HELP WITH MODIFICATIONS
                  BW1025 Level 1
                  Thank You both so much. I will try these things. God Bless!
                  BW
                  • 6. Re: HELP WITH MODIFICATIONS
                    Level 7
                    The image could also be masked by a vector shape. That way, there is no
                    permanent damage to the image.

--
                    Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                    Extending Knowledge, Daily
                    http://www.communityMX.com/
                    CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                    http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                    ---
                    .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

BLUE2X wrote:
                    > first , you cannot use an object ( a circle ) to punch a jpeg. You can only
                    > punch other vector objects. For example, you select 2 objects together, a
                    > rectangle and a circle , there you could apply the technique. Sometimes, when
                    > you use the rectangle tool, like creating a rectangle, you have to ungroup it
                    > first , before it becomes "punchable". If you want to punch jpegs/bitmaps , use
                    > the marquee tool. In fireworks 8 , it allows you to convert your paths to
                    > marquee, or marquee to paths which allows a similar effect to using punch
                    >