• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open a corrupt/damaged Indesign file?

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a five-year old Indesign file (book) that I've been working on for months in the latest Creative Cloud version. This morning Indesign suddenly crashed and now when I try to open my file Indesign says it's "damaged" and when I try to repair the file Indesign crashes every time.

I can open other Indesign files, just not this one.

I'm on a PC running Windows 7 and the file in question is large, 225 mb, with lots of graphics, etc.I think it might have been created on CS2 then worked on in CS4 before migrating to CC.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

The file is fixed! I sent it to Adobe and they were able to open it on a Windows 7 machine with no problems. The file was resaved (IDML and INDD) and sent back to me. I opened the IDML file on my machine without a crash. I then re-saved this clean file to INDD format and the crashes stopped.

My original file had hundreds of linked graphics and the technician suggested the problem could have lurked there. I understand that saving to IDML strips the file down to its bones, which could have repaired

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Hi all,

Sorry to hear about your experience. The email address mentioned in this discussion previously is not operational anymore. We request you to use this email ID idfile@adobe.com for sharing your files with us. The investigating team will get back to you as soon as they have completed their investigation.   

Before you send your files, please try the steps suggested on this page ( https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html ).

If the file is larger than 10 MB, you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export as IDML and open that and save again.

If this does nt work, save as IDML without opening the file. This is possible via script.

If this does not work use your latest backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't open the orginal file - Indesign crashes every time. Assuming you don't have to open Indesign, the script idea might work, but I don't know how to save as IDML via a script. Can you describe please?

I have a back-up but it's three days old. I'll lose enough work that trying to find a better option is worth the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks very much for the reply. The script looks like it's worth exploring but I don't have the knowledge to put it together and run it myself - I've never done anything like that before and a quick Google search didn't seem to provide much novice guidance.

I'm wondering if you'd mind looking at the file or running it through the script for me? I can post a link? I dont' know what else to do.

I have a back-up, but if the script worked it could save me a few days of work which would be a huge relief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opy the script to a plain text editor, like notepad, then save as (change the type from .txt to all files in the dropdown) BlindOpen.jsx and put it in the scripts folder. More info at How to install scripts in InDesign | InDesignSecrets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I did as you instructed and copied the text into Notepad. I then saved it using the file name and extension noted above. Next I opened Indesign, went to Window>Utilities>Scripts and put the file in the the "Users" folder. The "Blind Open" script appeared. I double-clicked on it, browsed for my corrupt file and tried opening it, but Indesign crashed quickly without any error messages. I tried this twice - same result.

Did I do anything wrong? Miss any important steps that might have helped it work? Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi says "If this does'nt work, save as IDML without opening the file. This is possible via script". I can't see how to do this with the script posted in the thread: Adobe Community: InDesign 6 is crashing when attempting to open a particular document. All others ar...

It seems like the only action available is to open the corrupt file, which doesn't work. I can't see how to save as IDML with this script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Pam,

Can you please share your file with us @  corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com ? If the file is large kindly upload it to some server and send us the link.

We would like to have a look.

Thanks,

Rohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rohit. A link has been uploaded to that email address. I'll be anxious to see what you find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi - How do I save as IDML without opening the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to save the .js file into

/Applications/Adobe\ InDesign\ CC/Scripts/Scripts\ Panel

(Or to a similar folder on Win)

In InDesign open the script panel.

Double click on that script entry and follow the instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is fixed! I sent it to Adobe and they were able to open it on a Windows 7 machine with no problems. The file was resaved (IDML and INDD) and sent back to me. I opened the IDML file on my machine without a crash. I then re-saved this clean file to INDD format and the crashes stopped.

My original file had hundreds of linked graphics and the technician suggested the problem could have lurked there. I understand that saving to IDML strips the file down to its bones, which could have repaired the corrupt link.

Thanks Willi and Peter! You both offered helpful suggustions. Saving to IDML via the script looks like it might have worked if I'd made it that far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a corrupt InDesign CS5 file. Can I send to Adobe to determine if it is salvageable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pam's post is the first and only time I've ever heard of Adobe fixing a file. She'll have to come back to tell us who she sent it to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone got back to you about the recovery yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Could I also send you an InDesign file that will not open?

I have a 16 page document that is 5 months old. Everything was working fine with it until I tried exporting a PDF. InDesign crashed and, when I try to reopen the InDesign file, InDesign opens the file then immediately crashes. I've tried restarting my computer, I have uploaded the latest version of CC 2015 and have reset my preferences.

I would really appreciate help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Rohit!

I've just sent my file to this email address also.

I would appreciate it if you can help. I'm in a similar situation to Pam.

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rohit,

I have sent you one corrupt InDesign file can you please look into this.

Alok Rawat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rohit,

Could I send you my file? It's my thesis and i have an older one but I'll loose all work from a week.

I can't open it, crashes as soon as I open it. I tried Stellar phoenix repair but I waited all night and it hasn't work.

Thank you

Paula

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rohit,

Do you still work at Adobe? If so, could I send you my corrupt file to see if you can salvage it?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rohit Guglani​ i have a smiliar problem... i took the liberty to send you an email, can you please help me? I'm really worried because i have to send this work to a client next week 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, just out of curiosity, because I too have two files that wont open and are damaged... Did anyone else other than Pam get help from Adobe with their file after sending it to that email address? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and have tried everything. Still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines