4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 6:11 PM by AimeeCandelaPhoto

CS 5 healing brush looking pixelated

AimeeCandelaPhoto

Hello,

I've noticed in the last few months that whenver I use the healing brush for cleaning up skin tones, areas around the eyes that the brush has been creating pixelated splotches across the area instead of blending in with the skin the tones. I've tried the hard & soft brushes as well changing the degree of hardness (between 0-25%) and it still shows

pixelated. Also the brush icon would disappear while I'm retouching.

Either I have to close the brush palette and reopen it, or worse case close photoshop, reopen it so the brush icon would reappear.

I don't know if it's because it's PS 5 or the software is showing it's age.

I have a MacBook Pro early 2011 running 8GB memory. I don't think it's a Apple memory issue.

If anyone else has had a similar issue or may know the cause of this I greatly appreciate some feedback.

Here's a screenshot showing the healing brush splotches. Normally it blends in, but it hasn't. Also the cloning tool has been doing similar. Not smooth cloning..

thank you in advance..

0742 healing brush.jpg

• 1. Re: CS 5 healing brush looking pixelated
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Try resetting the Healing brush (left end of Options bar).   I also thought that the Healing brush worked best with a fully hard brush, which makes sense if you think about it, because it needs all the edge information to blend with the surrounding pixels.  You are staving it of information with a soft brush.

• 2. Re: CS 5 healing brush looking pixelated
            AimeeCandelaPhoto Level 1

Thank you, Trevor!

It looks like the change to a hard brush did the trick. I just need to "soften" the brush in a

few areas that are softer in focus or then it looks like a stamped area.

I still haven't solved the "disappearing" brush mystery. It's doing it right now.

• 3. Re: CS 5 healing brush looking pixelated
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Use the healing brush on an Empty layer with is set to Sample all layers in the Options bar.  When finished, Ctrl (Cmd) click the new layer to load it as a selection, and add a Layer mask to the layer.  You can now use the Mask properties panel to adjust the mask.  Feather the mask for a softer transition, for instance.

• 4. Re: CS 5 healing brush looking pixelated
                AimeeCandelaPhoto Level 1

Would you believe me when I tell you that I don't use layers?

I mean I have in the past if it's something that is going to print or for a client.

Currently, the images I'm working on is for my website. I have the final & original files

but when it comes to web images they (final image) ends up being smaller files.

Your suggestion of just changing the brush to harder worked.

I reset the brush presets and hopefully that will clear up the brush's disappearing trick.