5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 5:50 PM by kglad

File won't open.

mentalcase129 Level 1

Trying to open a Flash file and keep getting this message.

"Could not open one or more sense probably because of low memory.  To increase available memore, quite Flash and allocate more virtual memory in the SystemProperties dialog box."

Anybody know what I can do about this?  I'm not sure memory is in fact the problem.  I've never had this problem before and it's happening on multiple computers.  It seems like it's corrupted but that's an odd message to get for a corrupted file.

• 1. Re: File won't open.
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

low memory issues are usually caused by corrupt bitmap images in your library.  extract the images (rename to a zip, unzip, remove bitmaps, zip, rename to fla) and then reopen the fla.

also, that's not the error message.  attach a screenshot, http://forums.adobe.com/message/4209263#4209263

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: File won't open.
            mentalcase129 Level 1

screenshot.jpg

Type-o's asside, because I had minimal time to type my question, that is the exact message.  Is there a way to tell, when looking at the zipped version, what bitmaps might be corrupted?  This particular file has a lot of bitmaps in it, so removing them all would be undoing a lot of work.

• 3. Re: File won't open.

i don't know how to determine which bitmaps might be corrupt by looking at file characteristics.  i would suggest working in the most efficient way possible to find if corrupt bitmaps are the problem and then find them.

first, remove them all to confirm (or not) that a corrupt bitmap is the problem.

if confirmed,

1.  remove 1/2 the suspect bitmaps and test. 

2.  if no problem, those bitmaps are no longer suspect and need no further testing.   back to step 1.

3.  if a problem, test with the other 1/2 of suspect bitmaps only.  if a problem, you have more than one corrupt bitmap and may want to change test strategy and look for uncorrupted bitmaps in chunks of 1/10, eg to quickly determine if they're all (or many) are corrupted.

if no problem, that 1/2 bitmaps are not corrupt and need no further testing.

4.  back to step 1.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: File won't open.
                mentalcase129 Level 1

okay, thanks...I'll try that

• 5. Re: File won't open.

you're welcome.