5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 10:15 AM by the_wine_snob

for Elements 9 change bit depth

jakeb546

I recently changed the color bit depth from 8 bit to 16. Now I cannot save photo files in any format other than pdd or psd. I need to share photos in jpg. How do I change the color bit depth back to 8 bit?

• 1. Re: for Elements 9 change bit depth
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jakeb546,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you referring to Adobe Photoshop Elements, or Premiere Elements?

I think the former, and if so, I will be glad to Move your post to that very active and helpful forum.

Just let us know, please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: for Elements 9 change bit depth
            A.T. Romano Level 7

jakeb546

Apparently you are using Photoshop Elements 9 (photo editor) and your question relates to that program and not Premiere Elements (video editor) whose forum you have posted in.

While you and Hunt sort out the details of the transfer to the Photoshop Elements Forum here, I will offer something for you to try.

If you have imported your 16 bit photo into Photoshop Elements 9 Full Editor, then go to the Image Menu/Mode and click on 8 Bits/Channel. You should then have your 8 bit photo which you can then edit in Photoshop Elements 9. But, check it out and see if that works for you.

ATR

• 3. Re: for Elements 9 change bit depth
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also note that the Elements programs can only work with 8 bit color or monochrome. Neither Photoshop Elements nor Premiere Elements can work with 16-bit per channel color.

• 4. Re: for Elements 9 change bit depth
                jakeb546 Level 1

I am referring to Elements 9. I purchased Premieme Elements 9 to do video 

work at the same time I purchased Elements 9, but have never used it. When I

was  using Help to contact someone ask how to repair Elements 9 somehow I 

got into Premieme Elements 9 help.

My problem is occurring in Elements 9.

I import Raw files from Nikon 50 into a directory using Nikon transfer. The

I open Elements 9 to process multiple files to convert to jpg files.

Somehow I set Elements 9 to use a bit depth of 16 and processing to files 

will not save files as jpg with that bit depth.

I would like to know how to turn Elements 9 back to 8 bit depth.

Bob Jacobson

In a message dated 2/12/2014 5:30:09 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, 

forums_noreply@adobe.com writes:

Re:  for Elements 9 change bit depth

created by Bill Hunt (http://forums.adobe.com/people/the_wine_snob)  in 

Premiere Elements - View the full  discussion

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6115363#6115363)

• 5. Re: for Elements 9 change bit depth
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For clarification, there is no Adobe program named "Elements 9." There are three applications in the Elements "family:" Photoshop Elements (what I think you are referring to - the Image editor), Premiere Elements (video-editing program) and the Elements Organizer (included with both Ps Elements and Pr Elements, and if one has both of those Elements programs, will only appear once for both). Often, Adobe sells a bundle with Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements and Elements Organizer. However, they also sell Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements separately, and each will contain Elements Organizer.

It appears that you are referring to Photoshop Elements, the Image editing program. If so, then the discussion should be Moved to that very helpful and active forum. Before that is done, please verify that you ARE referring to Photoshop Elements 9.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please.

Hunt