15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 10:57 AM by Szalam

Tracking Motion Analyzer not working

Stormwulf2035 Level 1

Hello everyone I'm new here. I've been using After Effects for a long time for a few years now. I used to use it on an older computer. I have a new one that's a quad core with good graphics card.

So here's my problem that I am running into.

I am using After Effects CS5 and read an article on Creative Cow that someone else with the same issue was addressed in 2011. From this link http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/996610, in which Dave LaRonde had helped resolve his problem. I tried doing the same on my computer but the problem did not resolve. I tried everything that he suggested, still nothing.

Any other tips as to why the tracking analyzer isn't working?

Thanks 

• 1. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without any proper system info, details about your project, footage, comp, cache setup, MP settings and a million otehr things this is not going anywhere. Sorry, but you lose yourself in vague descriptions that are pretty useless, al lthings considered.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working
            Stormwulf2035 Level 1

Excuse me? Your "useless" attitude isn't needed either. "All things considered."

I came and asked politely. Not to get scolded at. As for that, I don't need your help.

I politely request better assistance than this.  

• 3. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want help, you will need to give more detail. Mylenium was simply asking for the necessary info. He's one of the most technically-aware people in the Adobe community. And he is very helpful. Note the number of posts he's made: over 39,600 posts on these forums alone! You would do well to have his assistance in what seems to be a fairly technical problem.

• 4. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

If you're NOT using long-gop footage, which was the OP's problem in that thread  -- and a problem with AE CS-flippin' 3 to boot, for cryin' out loud -- how about if you give us a fighting chance at a diagnosis rather than playing guessing games, pal?  A lot has changed in software and operating systems in the interim, y'know?

You can help us help you by going here.

• 5. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working
                  Stormwulf2035 Level 1

All of the detailed info huh? I know this is a professional website and all but you all sound like a bunch of hackers.

Since you all are taking his side since he was a bit rude and insulting I'll just take my questions elsewhere. This was a bit uncalled for.

Also about the"guessing games" part. I will quote: "someone else with the "same issue" was addressed in 2011." So at that thread I have the "same issue" he has, which means the "same info."

Fine Here: 10 Megapixel Toshiba Full HD, 60fps, 10x optical zoom, 4 GB memory and I use a 8 GB memory card, touch screen, SD HC, Cameleo X 100.

The video itself: 14 sec length, Frame Width: 1920 Frame Height: 1080 , Data Rate: 12218 kbps, Total bitrate: 12282 kbps, 29 frames per second, Bitrate: 64 kbps,  Channels channels 2 stereos, Audio sample rate: 48 kHz, Attributes A, 20.6 MB.

My Computer System Info.png

If the attitudes continue then this site isn't community friendly.

• 6. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working

Stormwulf2035 wrote:

"someone else with the "same issue" was addressed in 2011." So at that thread I have the "same issue" he has, which means the "same info."

You do not have the same info. And you do not have the same issue. The original thread was dealing with an issue in CS3 - a 32-bit program. CS5 is a 64-bit program. That alone means this problem is likely to be competely different. On top of that, don't forget all of the bug fixes and other changes that would happen between two different full-number releases of software. Also, if his fix didn't work for you, that also means it's clearly not the same issue.

Problems like this are often fixed in point-updates. What exact version of CS5 do you have? If you're not running the latest update (10.0.2 or 10.5.1 if you're using CS5.5), try updating. It often fixes problems like this.

Stormwulf2035 wrote:

Since you all are taking his side since he was a bit rude and insulting I'll just take my questions elsewhere.

We are not "taking his side" we are trying to help you (as he was). Granted, Mylenium could have worded it a little differently, but he wasn't intending to be rude. He was merely letting you know that we needed more info to help you. Why would he ask for info if he didn't need it? It would be a waste of his time and yours.

What codec is used in your footage? If you transcoded it to try to solve the issue, what codec did you transcode it into?

• 7. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'll let you handle this one Szalam.  I don't have the patience for this high school kid with an attitude.

• 8. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working
                        Stormwulf2035 Level 1

Thank Szalam for being polite and for the clarification. I am using Avi. I use Total HD Converter to convert it to WMV AVI settings. I even tried Quicktime but it still hasn't worked.

It's the words he used which had a scolding feel to them: "million otehr things this is not going anywhere and Sorry, but you lose yourself in vague descriptions that are pretty useless, al lthings considered." I never used words like that in forums cuz it's considered bad manners and it could get a person like me either a warning or the Mods and Admins could drop the Ban hammer.

I will try to update it when I get a chance here tonight. I'm about to go pick up my son at the bus stop 2:30 Central time.

Thanks

• 9. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working
                          Stormwulf2035 Level 1

Really? High school kid huh? Try having some consideration of other people's feelings for change without having to defend someone. Empathy can go along way.

Is this how you treat all new members? Is this what forums rules are teaching you?

• 10. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working

Dave LaRonde wrote:

I'll let you handle this one Szalam. 

I've only got a few other thoughts that might help (depending on the answers and info he/she gives). Once I've exhausted that, it's going to be up to Mylenium's expertise. However, when you consider the way he got yelled at the last time he tried to help, I wouldn't hold my breath.

• 11. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working

Stormwulf2035 wrote:

I am using Avi.

AVI, like MOV is not a codec; they are containers. There are truly hundreds of potential codecs you could use inside an AVI wrapper. I use Cineform for my intermediate renders inside an AVI, but I could use that same codec inside an MOV too.

Stormwulf2035 wrote:

I use Total HD Converter to convert it to WMV AVI settings. I even tried Quicktime but it still hasn't worked.

I would not recommend using Total HD Converter for anything.

You have the Adobe Media Encoder (unless you bought AE on its own). That is a much more professional program and is less likely to create weird things (like a WMV AVI - those are two rather odd bedfellows).

I've seen issues where third-party codec packs messed up professional video programs. Have you installed anything video-related other than Adobe products and Total HD Converter? Although, to be honest, I'm rather suspicious of Total HD Converter at this point too.

When you get home, try transcoding your footage - using the Adobe Media Encoder - to a Quicktime with the Photo JPEG codec and see how that works. Also, double-check your AE version number and report back exactly what it is.

Stormwulf2035 wrote:

It's the words he used which had a scolding feel to them

Scolding is not necessarily being rude. As you said that you have been using AE for a few years, Mylenium probably thought that you should have known better. If this is your first time troubleshooting something, you might not realize how important every piece of information is. Especially since your case is completely different from the original post despite the error seeming the same.

• 12. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working
                                Stormwulf2035 Level 1

I wasn't yelling at Mylenium, I was like: Ouch for that!

I myself apologize for not stating that I don't know alot about After Effects although I have been using it for a few years. I know Keyframing and a few other things just not all the extra detail. The "importance of everything" I will add that to my learning priority, now I understand that part.

I used the tracker without any problems in the past but that was with movies. I was using a free style camera.

I'm learning something new everyday.

Thank you Szalam for your professional assistance.

• 13. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working
                                  Stormwulf2035 Level 1

Hey Szalam, I'm trying to update and the server is not responding. What should I do?

Thanks

• 14. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working
                                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a really dumb question. What do you mean when you say it doesn't work? Is the track unsteady. Which tracker are you using? Do you see the tracking markers? Are some keyframes  generated? Does AE crash?

Oh, I get it, I'm supposed to click on the link to a Creative Cow article, do some research and then come up with an answer that will work for a different version of After Effects running on a different OS.

Spending some time describing your issue in detail with some clarity would have given me a chance to formulate an opinion on the problem and offer a possible solution. Asking me to do research on a vaguely described problem does not show any respect for my time. Taking offense when asked for details is not the mark of a professional or even an amateur.

Here's the long and short of it. Some footage won't track, that's all there is to it. The tracker should work on most footage. If you are getting nothing happening at all with several different types of footage try creating a composition with a background solid and a small solid of a different color, about 20 X 20 pixels, moving around the composition. Nest this comp in another comp then open up the motion tracking panel and select the nested comp as the source. If the tracker still does not do anything then you are experiencing operator error or something outside of After Effects is conflicting with the tracker. Most people using the tracker in CS5 do not have any trouble with it so it's safe to say that it is most likely that there is some app or plug-in that is causing the problem.

It's very easy for things like anti-virus software, 3rd party codec packs or 3rd party plug-ins to create conflicts with many of the systems in After Effects. If you were previously able to track video on this machine then ask yourself what has changed. If you never have been able to track footage on this machine then the first thing I would do is uninstall all 3rd party plug-ins, codecs, and other goodies, then uninstall After Effects and Premiere Pro, then re-boot, then start re-installing AE first then Premiere Pro.

• 15. Re: Tracking Motion Analyzer not working

Stormwulf2035 wrote:

Hey Szalam, I'm trying to update and the server is not responding. What should I do?

How are you trying to do the update? Also, perhaps you've got an overly aggressive firewall or antivirus setting. (Which could also explain your initial issue.)