5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2014 2:03 PM by Noel Carboni RSS

Photoshop applies extreme sharpening/graininess to photos when opened

russelraypc@aol.com

They look fine as thumbnails or in ACR but once they get to Photoshop CC they are oversharpened and extremely grainy. Any idea why?

• 1. Re: Photoshop applies extreme sharpening/graininess to photos when opened
          Noel Carboni Community Member

Can you please provide a screen grab here?  Though you've described classic symptoms of oversharpening, often times it's easy to jump right to an answer after seeing exactly what someone else is seeing.

Check your sharpening settings in Camera Raw.  I normally turn them down to 0 myself, as I prefer Smart Sharpen in Photoshop proper, and some of my own tools as well.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Photoshop applies extreme sharpening/graininess to photos when opened
            russelraypc@aol.com Community Member

I went to insert two screen shots, one from ACR showing the normal photo and one from PSCC showing the grainy photo.

Can't recreate the problem.

It seems that shutting down the computer before bed last night and then restarting it this morning has solved my problem.

After being in the computer industry for 36 years, I should know that it pays to completely shut down the computer sometimes, even when one has a big, bad computer with lots of RAM and lots of hard disk space.

Well, at least I didn't have to uninstall and re-install PSCC this time, which would have been the seventh time. I'm not finding CC to be as stable as CS5 and CS6.

Thanks for your interest, Noel. Without your question showing up in my email first thing this morning, I probably would not have discovered until noon that I can go back to work on pictures normally.

• 3. Re: Photoshop applies extreme sharpening/graininess to photos when opened

Photoshop CC can be quite stable (it is for me) but I think it has unprecedented dependencies on the GPU that make it paramount that you have the very best display driver possible.  Generally speaking, this means the latest release, and right now with the two big makers (ATI and nVidia) I believe this is the case.  I am using ATI Catalyst 13.12 at the moment; it seems solid.

Sounds like you and I started in computers around the same time (38 years of software engineering for me).

-Noel

• 4. Re: Photoshop applies extreme sharpening/graininess to photos when opened
                russelraypc@aol.com Community Member

I have a big, bad computer since my work involves video and photograph creation and manipulation.

Photoshop CC, though, has been horrible for me, especially automatic upgrades, which I finally had to turn off. One of the automatic upgrades destroyed all of my actions and keyboard shortcuts. I complained loudly about that one, even taking to Adobe's Facebook page. Within a day, they had a fix for that problem, and I even got an apology.

Another automatic upgrade caused three errors upon launching Photoshop. No one could figure out why. Resolution: "Uninstall and re-install."

I've had so many instances with tech support and their solution always seems to be "uninstall and re-install." That's not a solution! That takes an hour to do! Finally I just turned automatic upgrades off.

I'll wait until Photoshop DD arrives before I do any more upgrades. It's too bad because I thought the Cloud would be great in providing us incremental upgrades instead of one huge upgrade that basically caused us to relearn 25% of the program.

• 5. Re: Photoshop applies extreme sharpening/graininess to photos when opened

russelraypc@aol.com wrote:

I have a big, bad computer since my work involves video and photograph creation and manipulation.

There's your problem, right there!  You need a big, GOOD one. 

Just kidding.  I'm sorry to hear you've had the kinds of problems that put you off from accepting updates.  Generally speaking, Adobe does come through, but maybe it's a good idea to wait a week or two after the release of an update and read about how others are getting along with it before letting the Creative Cloud applciation do the update.  I can assure you that Adobe is aware that their update process needs to get more refined.

By the way I can suggest some things I've successfully disabled if you'd like your big, bad computer to run leaner.  Do you use the freeware tool AutoRuns?

-Noel