2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 4:48 AM by John Mensinger

Photo enlargement in PDF docs?

plodfish

Hello,

I currently put together a monthly newsletter using inDesign which is emailed to the groups members in pdf format. We try to keep the number of pages limited, but have an increase of photos people would like to add to the newsletter.

I just wanted to know if it was possible to publish a pdf of the newsletter with 'thumbnail' sized photos amongst the articles, which can expand to full size, in a pop-up window, when someone clicks on the image?

That way members can view the full size images without us exceeding the number of pages. Good idea - Bad idea? If someone knows how to do this or has a better idea, please let me know!

Thanks very much.

• 1. Re: Photo enlargement in PDF docs?
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In theory, yes - you could use a button to control the visibility of an overlying layer in the PDF file; but in a practical sense that causes no end of problems as many non-Adobe PDF viewing apps will ignore the visibility setting on a layer, either showing it all the time or not at all.

The other option, again this will only work in Adobe Reader on a desktop, would be to add the large photos to a second PDF file, and attach it to the first one. You can create links that open an attachment to a specific page in Acrobat.

You may be better off hosting the large images online (e.g. Flickr) and making the thumbnails into regular hyperlinks.

• 2. Re: Photo enlargement in PDF docs?
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

"You may be better off hosting the large images online (e.g. Flickr) and making the thumbnails into regular hyperlinks."

^That^

Your "popup window" will be the reader's web browser. Best to host the images on open server space where it's certain your readers won't have to sign up, log in, or navigate an interface to see the images.