2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 8:35 AM by the_wine_snob

I can not open a project file from Premiere Elements 3.0 ¿is it possible to convert this file?

Sinto

I can not open a project file from Premiere Elements 3.0 ¿is it possible to convert this file?

• 1. Re: I can not open a project file from Premiere Elements 3.0 ¿is it possible to convert this file?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It is never a good idea to open an older version project in a newer version of Premiere Elements.

We highly recommend you only work on a project started in version 3 in Premiere Elements 3. Newer versions of the program will not open it and may, in fact, corrupt it and make it unusable.

• 2. Re: I can not open a project file from Premiere Elements 3.0 ¿is it possible to convert this file?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Sinto,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Steve G., regarding Opening older Projects in newer versions, especially if it's from way back in PrE 3.

Hower, there might be some other workflows, that will help you, but first some questions:

• Do you still have PrE 3 installed on a computer?
            • If so, does that PrE 3 Project Open in PrE 3?
            • Are all of your media Assets available to the Project?
            • If so, this is how I would approach the problem:

1. Open the PrE 3 Project in PrE 3.
            2. Do a very loose edit of it, not adding any Transitions, and leaving more Frames in each Clip (Handles), than I will use.*
            3. When done, Export a DV-AVI file from that PrE 3 Timeline.
            4. Open your newer version of PrE - let's just say PrE 11 for now, to New Project.
            5. Immediately, go to File>New Project, and use either the NTSC, or PAL DV Preset, choosing either Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9, depending on what you had in your PrE 3 Project.
            6. Import that DV-AVI into the New DV Project in PrE 11.
            7. Tighten the edits, and apply any Transitions, Effects, Titles, etc.
            8. Use Publish+Share to output that PrE 11 Timeline, as required.

Hope that helps, but it does depend on a few things, such as whether you still have PrE 3 available, and whether the PrE 3 Project will Open in it.

Good luck,

Hunt

* The other option at this point is to do a very tight, final edit, with exactly the Trimming and Transitions, that you wish to use. Then, when that edit has been finalized, do the export. With this method, there are a couple of considerations:

Does PrE 11 have the exact Transitions, that you are using?

While some editing can still be done, if for instance, one wished to cut out a Transition, and apply a different one, the Clip would need to be Cut, and one could lose necessary Frames in that process - that was why I first recommend a very loose edit, prior to export.